Groups

PS3 Hard drive screwdriver?

Got my new hard drive for my ps3 but was curious on what the best screwdriver is to use for removing the plate from playstation as ive read the odd one or two things online but people giving different replies so was interested to see what use lot that have done it on here think?

17 Comments

Banned

Slim?
    Video Guide

Fat (old Shape)
    Video Guide

I've done it on both, really easy.
    As for the screwdriver try a few different ones but make sure the one you use is a good fit.

Original Poster

this is for the fat one (day 1 console)

You used a Torx screwdriver. Google the size of Torx.

Hi my phat ps3 died due to the YLOd - im just selling it on, but is there anyway for me to delete my information on it without having to put the HDD in my new PS3 slim to format?

Banned

grimlocksbrain

Hi my phat ps3 died due to the YLOd - im just selling it on, but is there … Hi my phat ps3 died due to the YLOd - im just selling it on, but is there anyway for me to delete my information on it without having to put the HDD in my new PS3 slim to format?

ps3_how_to_factory_hard_reset

Good post . I ordered my 250GB drive yesterday from scan , should be here today and wondered about how to fit a new drive to my PS3 . Ta for the guide links .

WheresMeNuts

You used a Torx screwdriver. Google the size of Torx.

It's not a torx screw. It's a Philips head screw.

I was gonna say I thought it was just a small philips (cross head) screw from what I remember from when I swapped mine over.

sennasnit

ps3_how_to_factory_hard_reset

That wont wipe the disk data, just reset the PS3 settings. You need to format the drive in a working machine or in a caddy attached to a PC

Its a small Phillips just make sure it sits very tight into the screw as they chew up really easy, some of them are really tight as well so a longer handled one will be better to get more torque.

Original Poster

Wheres the best place to get this phillips one?

grant20

Wheres the best place to get this phillips one?

I'll be honest I used a set off pound land jewellers screw drivers just find the best fit. The only problem is there isn't enough handle to get the torque to release the screw. I just locked a set of small molegrips on the end to use it as a ratchet which let me keep the driver straight and give it plenty of torque.

Once you've cracked them they are dead easy to get out, they go with quite a snap when they undo scares the crap outta ya.
    Edited by: "Celticsun" 13th Jan 2011

Banned

tallpete33

That wont wipe the disk data, just reset the PS3 settings. You need to … That wont wipe the disk data, just reset the PS3 settings. You need to format the drive in a working machine or in a caddy attached to a PC

Oh yeah, didn't read it properly

Original Poster

Took the blue screw out hard drive then the 4 smaller ones next. Got the first one out no problem but then on to next 3, they are really tight and its like im going to wear screw out if i keem trying, too scared to try anymore. Any tips anyone thats done it thereself?

I've done it & used cheap Screw drivers you use on Glasses & you can buy them from the Poundshop as someone has suggested.If I remember correctly I used a Rag on the screw driver for better grip.They look like these one's on ebay

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

I've done it & used cheap Screw drivers you use on Glasses & you can buy … I've done it & used cheap Screw drivers you use on Glasses & you can buy them from the Poundshop as someone has suggested.If I remember correctly I used a Rag on the screw driver for better grip.They look like these one's on ebay 170559128076

Ok cheers mate, will give it a shot. Just gutted as wanted to do now.

Torx size 10 for phat console to get to optical drive regular Philips cross head screw driver for side plate

Edited by: "simplex" 15th Jan 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions