Groups

PS3 help!?

Hi, thanks for taking to time to help me.
    I recenlty purchased a PS3.
    Now, I want to buy an external Hard Drive and stick all the movies I have on my PC, onto the Hard Drive, to watch the movies through the PS3.

Can I then simply plug the External Drive into the PS3 and watch the movies?

In theory it should be that simple, but is it? Has anyone done it? Can you recommend a HD?

Thanks

8 Comments

yes i used my western digital and it comes up fine

i press triangle and display all and watch my MKV

why do it the hard way, I have a media network set up between my PC and PS3, no wires.

you can do it and it works great, but why not just stream from your PC?

Original Poster

Humour me! How the hell do I do that?!?!

^ (stream)

If you still want to use an external drive just remember that the PS3 only understands FAT32 and because of that you can't store anything over 4GB, so that pretty much rules out any lengthy 720p+ content.

Original Poster

GENIUS! Thanks a lot folks, Rep for all, for taking the time.

strike;6126964

yes i used my western digital and it comes up finei press triangle and … yes i used my western digital and it comes up finei press triangle and display all and watch my MKV

Umm what??? - PS3 does not natively play MKV files :whistling:

I also stream from PC to PS3 using a program called PS3 media server

code.google.com/p/p…ist

There's versions for windows, linux and mac too.. but suspect you're running windows anyway. Plays everything I've tried and only transcodes when it needs to, though you can also force it to transcode for some files that are "difficult"
    .... and it's freeware, so no cost to you either :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1616
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047171
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would30121
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767408

See more discussions