Groups

PS3 Laser Dead Help Find a cheap solution

For all you xbox360 trolls. Don't say i told you so. I have an xbox360 too.

Well my 60 Gig Versions wont read anything not even loading a disc error.

Sony want £99 to replace/repair the unit.

What do you reckon to that?
    Anyone think of a cheaper way.

I haven't tried a good cd/dvd cleaner as it doens't really spin much.

17 Comments

how long have you had your ps3? when my 60gig blu ray drive failed, sony sent a courier out and swapped my old ps3 with a refurbished one after a few days! never said anything about £99, thats a bit mince

This recently happened to my mate,
    he rang Sony they said same thing to him but he's lied and said its still under warranty - he didn't tell them it was a 60gb though!
    He'll either get it done free of charge or when they get it to fix they'll hit him with a bill!
    either way its worth the shot as i haven't seen or heard of a cheaper way of doing it than what sony offer....

Cagwell;4407808

how long have you had your ps3? when my 60gig blu ray drive failed, sony … how long have you had your ps3? when my 60gig blu ray drive failed, sony sent a courier out and swapped my old ps3 with a refurbished one after a few days! never said anything about £99, thats a bit mince

If they were to swap it, I think they swap with a 40gb/80gb and give a voucher (i.e. lose backwards compatablilty)

Original Poster

Its about 2-3 years old. I told them its out of warranty on the phone and they gave me a reference number to call back if I decide. If they swapped it for a refurb i'd be peeved. As you can get a ps3 40/80 for about 210 on here for a 40 and 250 for an 80 if your patient would be loosing £50-60, and my beloved backwards compatability though in the back of me head if it came with a 12 month extended warranty wouldn't be so bad.
    Do you get a new warranty?

RIP your PS3 man

Give 'em the guilts, always works.

Original Poster

robtallica;4407866

RIP your PS3 man :(Give 'em the guilts, always works.

How so what did you get?:thumbsup:

This doesn't happen to all 60gb PS3s does it?

Original Poster

Abvance;4407904

This doesn't happen to all 60gb PS3s does it?

On the fleebay all the broken 60gigs seem to have this problem and only this problem unless they have been dropped.:oops: So I think i'd rather have this problem then something more costly or unrepairable.

kewldeals;4407826

If they were to swap it, I think they swap with a 40gb/80gb and give a … If they were to swap it, I think they swap with a 40gb/80gb and give a voucher (i.e. lose backwards compatablilty)

poorness, when it happened to me the 60 gb models were discontinued, but it was a refurbed 60gb they gave me back, but it was quite a while agoI had this done

when mine went faulty it was after playing cod 4, a lot of people were getting problems after playing this game after an update, but it was probably just its time to break

Original Poster

I just hope they don't try and fob me off, otherwise I'll try and get the full amount back.

Adam2050;4407853

Its about 2-3 years old. I told them its out of warranty on the phone and … Its about 2-3 years old. I told them its out of warranty on the phone and they gave me a reference number to call back if I decide. If they swapped it for a refurb i'd be peeved. As you can get a ps3 40/80 for about 210 on here for a 40 and 250 for an 80 if your patient would be loosing £50-60, and my beloved backwards compatability though in the back of me head if it came with a 12 month extended warranty wouldn't be so bad. Do you get a new warranty?

Well it's not going to be 2 years old yet - it was only released in the UK in March 2007 ;-)

By what you're saying, it's probably a dead laser, more than likely the KES-400A which is prone to failure. you can fix it yourself by buying a laser, but beware of imitations. You're looking at around £60 to buy one in. Replacing it is ok if you're used to dismantling consoles!

Original Poster

Any ideas on a true on from the bay?

Adam2050;4408252

Any ideas on a true on from the bay?

I've replaced a few and used these people:

teamk.co.uk/sho…145

You will need to open the PS3 first and see what laser you have. If the disc is inserting ok and spins for a fraction of a second then stops, it's the laser. Be warned - the blu-ray drive isn't the easiest thing to put back together correctly once you've opened it.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;4408272

I've replaced a few and used these … I've replaced a few and used these people:http://www.teamk.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=145You will need to open the PS3 first and see what laser you have. If the disc is inserting ok and spins for a fraction of a second then stops, it's the laser. Be warned - the blu-ray drive isn't the easiest thing to put back together correctly once you've opened it.

I'm getting the feeling for the extra £40 it might be worth going with the proffesionals on this, if it was an xbox I'd have a crack at it. Or it wasn't my money ;):thumbsup:

Very true and possibly a wise choice

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;4408311

Very true and possibly a wise choice

Ok thanks for the advice.:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …211604
      2. Best advert ever to be seen.88
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416614118
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523435

See more discussions