Groups

PS3 to Monitor?

So, what lead to I need to connect a PS3 to a non HD PC monitor?

The monitor just has a DVI port.

Thanks.

13 Comments

HDMI to DVI lead then.

You will have more success buying a cheap HDMI lead and a DVI adaptor.

Original Poster

HDMI to DVI, thanks.

Not having much luck finding one to arrive on Monday.

Original Poster

Babbabooey

£2.98 from the bay

Wow, that is cheap. Ordered for same day dispatch before 2:00pm.

Thanks a lot.

No probs, this won't carry the sound from the PS3, so you need to get a separate cable unless it's already hooked up to your surround sound or something.

I bought a HD cable from HDcentral, a seller on Amazon. I ordered it around this time on a Friday and it landed at my door on Saturday morning!

Here's a cheap dvi - hdmi they're selling linky
    Edited by: "leefal" 20th Aug 2010

Original Poster

Babbabooey

No probs, this won't carry the sound from the PS3, so you need to get a … No probs, this won't carry the sound from the PS3, so you need to get a separate cable unless it's already hooked up to your surround sound or something.

The monitor is connected to a hi-fi system.

But is your ps3 connected to your sound system?

ssabres

The monitor is connected to a hi-fi system.

That won't help you play sound from the PS3 though.

You'll need to plug the PS3 directly into speakers (or into your monitor, if it has sound input).

I guess you'll need something which takes the audio from your PS3 via the optical output. So maybe get an optical to RCA and then the red & white RCA plugs go into your hifi.

P.S. To clarify, in case you didn't realise - DVI doesn't carry sound, only video. So you're in need to two outputs from the back of your PS3 - one for video (which you have covered with the hdmi -> dvi) and one for audio, as explained above
    Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 20th Aug 2010

Original Poster

Ah..I see. oO

I didn't even give the sound a second thought. oO

We'll want to connect the PS3 to the hifi.
    Edited by: "ssabres" 20th Aug 2010

You can use the cable that was supplied with your PS3 for sound (the one with the Yellow, White and Red ends), ive got a 3.5mm splitter that goes into my speakers and i just plug the white and red end of the cable into that.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1214
      2. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      3. Biscuit addiction1231
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325

See more discussions