Groups

PS3 to PC Monitor - No Sound

Banned
    Sadly, ive only got a PC monitor which has HDMI input, but no sound output its just a monitor.

I bought a PS3 today from a friend and i can play games fine, but there's no sound!

Anyone have any ideas how i can fudge it so i can get sound? Even if it means using a HD splitter somehow?

thanks

11 Comments

Optical cable into surround sound maybe?

...Or check the sound settings on your PS3 to make sure that sound is set to come out the HDMI. Though I Suspect its your monitor has no speakers?

LOL I must be blind!! you clearly state it has no speakers haha!
    Edited by: "luke-kirk" 27th Nov 2010

Banned

Get a secondhand monitor with sound and sell the one you've got now to cover most of the cost

Original Poster Banned

luke-kirk

...Or check the sound settings on your PS3 to make sure that sound is set … ...Or check the sound settings on your PS3 to make sure that sound is set to come out the HDMI. Though I Suspect its your monitor has no speakers?

correct. No speakers on monitor. The monitor is a really nice 1080p Acer, i don't want to get rid as i've recently bought it.

Optical cable is sounding good.

Use an external speaker system such as a soundbar or anything else with an optical input and hook up an optical cable from the ps3 to it... obviously remember to alter the settings on the ps3 accordingly... or an amp that has either HDMI input and output the picture to the monitor and the sound through the speakers.... but both those methods would most likely still be costly unless you can get second hand.
    Can't remember whether you can use the non HDMI cable from the PS3 for the sound (red/white connections) into normal speaker setup and still use HDMI for picture.

gooddeals9

correct. No speakers on monitor. The monitor is a really nice 1080p Acer, … correct. No speakers on monitor. The monitor is a really nice 1080p Acer, i don't want to get rid as i've recently bought it.Optical cable is sounding good.

If you have a surround sound or audio set-up with optical then its sorted!! Glad to help
    Edited by: "luke-kirk" 27th Nov 2010

Original Poster Banned

thanks just had a look, soundbars do seem expensive.. argh :\ i was looking forward to playing Gran Turismo 5 tomorrow with the sound on full blast lol!

cheers for the help guys

Original Poster Banned

luke-kirk

If you have a surround sound or audio set-up with optical then its … If you have a surround sound or audio set-up with optical then its sorted!! Glad to help

So basically i need a surround sound setup with optical input?

ill take a look around, thanks :-)

Correct...and don't forget to buy an optical cable...£1 at poundworld (there all the same quality (Shh Haters)

gooddeals9

So basically i need a surround sound setup with optical input?ill take a … So basically i need a surround sound setup with optical input?ill take a look around, thanks :-)

Original Poster Banned

ebuyer.com/sto…ems

will any of them have optical input? I had a look at the specs, but none of them mention it. Surely one must have optical input!

Banned

You don't have to go with the optical option. You can plug in the AV lead out aswell as HDMI, plug HDMI into monitor and AV into an amp or cheap hifi. Then in PS settings change Display settings to HDMI and sound settings to AV.

I use a my old Sony CP500
    Edited by: "vlj" 27th Nov 2010
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553767
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826348
      3. Royal Mil track and trace77
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423814465

See more discussions