Groups

PS3 - Which one is best quality wise?

I am about to buy a new PS3 and can have either an 80gb or new slim 120gb version. The difference in cost is minimal. I am aware of the main differences in the two versions and I am not fussed either way.

My main consideration is which one of the versions is of a better quality and build. I was leaning towards the slim version but I seem to have seen some feedback suggesting that the BluRay drive is not as good as the 80gb version and some other compromises in build and component quality.

I would welcome any comments to put my mind at rest or advise me of any relevant articles/discussions.

14 Comments

Thats a good question. I have the original ps3 i bought on release but was thinking of trading it in for a new ps3 slim. I dont even know what size the original ps3 memory is or anything:oops:

pinkkitty2007;6266461

Thats a good question. I have the original ps3 i bought on release but … Thats a good question. I have the original ps3 i bought on release but was thinking of trading it in for a new ps3 slim. I dont even know what size the original ps3 memory is or anything:oops:

The very original PS3 was 60gb which are quite rare now. Then there was 40gb, 80gb and even a short lived (not sure if out in UK) 20gb one. I upgraded my 60gb to 320gb HD, very easy to do. I can't really comment on the build of the Slim's but don't really see the point in changing.

massmail666;6266478

im sticking with my ps3 PHAT, dont really mind the extra size difference … im sticking with my ps3 PHAT, dont really mind the extra size difference considering im not going to be carrying it around on my back all day

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

massmail666;6266478

im sticking with my ps3 PHAT, dont really mind the extra size difference … im sticking with my ps3 PHAT, dont really mind the extra size difference considering im not going to be carrying it around on my back all day

The only reason i thought of trading is that mine is getting old now and is out of warranty and was thinking trading for a new one would be wise incase mine is going to break down out of guarantee:?

pinkkitty2007;6266531

The only reason i thought of trading is that mine is getting old now and … The only reason i thought of trading is that mine is getting old now and is out of warranty and was thinking trading for a new one would be wise incase mine is going to break down out of guarantee:?

Not a bad point actually, I think Sony charge £120 if your PS3 dies to fix/refurb it which is about same price as trading in for a slim. You'll need to back up all your game saves though! :thumbsup:

Ciderbob;6266540

Not a bad point actually, I think Sony charge £120 if your PS3 dies to … Not a bad point actually, I think Sony charge £120 if your PS3 dies to fix/refurb it which is about same price as trading in for a slim. You'll need to back up all your game saves though! :thumbsup:

Oh i didnt know sony did that. Do the originals still sell well on ebay?

massmail666;6266571

not a bad idea but will u be selling the slim after the 1 year warrenty … not a bad idea but will u be selling the slim after the 1 year warrenty has expired and buy a new one for a fresh warrenty? or will u buy extended warrenty?

extended warranty i think. Should have got one in the 1st place. Ive got a 50" Full HD tv thats nearing the end of its 1st year. Is it worth getting a extended warranty do you think? I just got an offer through for £110 for another year

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't have a PS3 of any sort yet. I am going to buy a new one (as per my original post). I have seen lots of discussions about whether to upgrade or not but that doesn't apply to me.

I am just not decided whether to buy the phat 80gb or the slim 120gb based on build/component quality.

ilepak;6266608

I am just not decided whether to buy the phat 80gb or the slim 120gb … I am just not decided whether to buy the phat 80gb or the slim 120gb based on build/component quality.

answers.yahoo.com/que…UzM

Personally I think the original PS3 looks much sleaker and the difference in size (33% or whatever Sony say) means very little.

Original Poster

pinkkitty2007;6266633

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090819174850AAdcUzM

Best answer so far - many thanks.

If you're worried about it breaking, why not just get sony's continuous play

uk.playstation.com/ps3…on/

[edit] nevermind, I just went onto the website and after clicking the above link etc got this

Dear Continuous Players, we set up this service ultimately to provide a … Dear Continuous Players, we set up this service ultimately to provide a fast, efficient and cost effective way to ensure that your experience with PlayStation 3 & PSP was as seamless and hassle free as possible. Unfortunately, some individuals have chosen to abuse this service and as a consequence we feel that we have no option but to suspend Continuous Play and postpone acceptance of new Continuous Play plans until further notice. We will of course honour existing customer's policies and look to amend the existing provision so that it is less vulnerable to exploitation. Sincere apologies

No one knows how well built the new slim PS3 is, as they are only days old.

If the price difference is neglible, you may as well get the new one.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. connect tablet28
      2. Which SSD drive I need to replace my current HD49
      3. How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?36
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …69

See more discussions