PS4 (500GB, 1080p TV) upgrade to PS4PRO or buy PSVR?

12 replies
Found 9th Sep 2016
Like most peeps I only got a limited amount of money - is it worth to upgrade to the PS4 Pro even though I only have a 1080p TV or am I better spending the money on PSVR? It's obviously getting close to PSVR so need to decide. Cheers for any help.

12 Comments

Well Im doing PSVR, personally I think PS Pro is a massive disappointment, its all compromise,

massive power usage, no 4K disc player, No real upgrade to CPU, No Native 4K, massive investment for TV required.

Also VR is a completely new experience, whereas PSPro wont add any new gameplay or real features other than resolution upgrade which I agree is important, but so important that Sony are faking it by upscaling?

Edited by: "haritori" 9th Sep 2016

go for vr, you get a new way of playing, the pro would only give a small performance increase in 1080p.

Banned

Console design aside, PS4 Pro is the ideal PlayStation 4 console to go for, because even if you don't own a 4K TV you'll still notice the improvements on its graphics and performance whereas the Original PlayStation 4 will have its limitations that can't be surpassed.

Never mind the PS4 Slim, that's just pointless between the Original and Pro.

I hate the design of PS4 Pro but I'll ultimately be getting one, even though the Original PS4 looks way better and stylish. If only the Original PS4 played PS1/PS2/PS3 like the fat PS3s did but nope, not much of a reason to go with the old PS4 models now.

Original Poster

haritori

Well Im doing PSVR, personally I think PS Pro is a massive … Well Im doing PSVR, personally I think PS Pro is a massive disappointment, its all compromise,massive power usage, no 4K disc player, No real upgrade to CPU, No Native 4K, massive investment for TV required. Also VR is a completely new experience, whereas PSPro wont add any new gameplay or real features other than resolution upgrade which I agree is important, but so important that Sony are faking it by upscaling?

I hear you - especially "massive investment for TV" - has this console been released just to sell much more (sony) 4k tvs?

I was all over PSVR and got my preorder in when it was announced but i'm a little concerned that my 3yo (day 1) PS4 might not be good enough for it. Of course sony say it works - but I'm curious as to the performance improvements with the PRO running the PSVR.

exexpat

I hear you - especially "massive investment for TV" - has this console … I hear you - especially "massive investment for TV" - has this console been released just to sell much more (sony) 4k tvs?I was all over PSVR and got my preorder in when it was announced but i'm a little concerned that my 3yo (day 1) PS4 might not be good enough for it. Of course sony say it works - but I'm curious as to the performance improvements with the PRO running the PSVR.

Yeah will be interesting to see how exactly they can IMPROVE the VR games.

exexpat

I hear you - especially "massive investment for TV" - has this console … I hear you - especially "massive investment for TV" - has this console been released just to sell much more (sony) 4k tvs?I was all over PSVR and got my preorder in when it was announced but i'm a little concerned that my 3yo (day 1) PS4 might not be good enough for it. Of course sony say it works - but I'm curious as to the performance improvements with the PRO running the PSVR.

​I've no idea what the enhancements for PSVR actually are with the Pro, but considering it will work on your original PS4, I would call PSVR the better investment.
As stated above, you are opting in for a new way of playing instead of the same experience with some graphical improvements and whatever else. (Can't be bothered looking again).

Like the Op I need some help with this. I have a 65" LG OLED with 4K right now..as well as a firmware update due soon for HDR. I have a day one PS4 and was wondering if PS4 Pro would be right for me?

CaptCShadow

​I've no idea what the enhancements for PSVR actually are with the Pro, b … ​I've no idea what the enhancements for PSVR actually are with the Pro, but considering it will work on your original PS4, I would call PSVR the better investment.As stated above, you are opting in for a new way of playing instead of the same experience with some graphical improvements and whatever else. (Can't be bothered looking again).

Ps4 pro boost framerates in certain psvr games, PlayStation access talked about it in a video. Certain games will go from 60-90 fps and some other from 90-120 fps according to them

as you dont have a 4k tv dont bother

get a ps vr

exexpat

Like most peeps I only got a limited amount of money - is it worth to … Like most peeps I only got a limited amount of money - is it worth to upgrade to the PS4 Pro even though I only have a 1080p TV or am I better spending the money on PSVR? It's obviously getting close to PSVR so need to decide. Cheers for any help.

Why not save what little money you have, wait 12 months, & buy both in one bundle for the same price you will pay in a few weeks time? By then you may have read/heard something about either to influence your decision for/against either.

I do not plan to buy either the PS4 Pro or a PlayStation VR headset for the immediate future.

In fact, I suspect I may need a lot of convincing to buy a Virtual Reality headset (from any manufacturer), but I will eventually buy a later model PlayStation 4 console.

PS. [ theverge.com/201…ils ]

exexpat

All games have to hit 60 fps for PSVR regardless of which console it is using, which will then be re-projected to 120 fps. So if there is a frame rate improvement, it will be to real 90 fps, rather than re-projected 120.

The (possibly more noticeable difference) is likely to be more detail in the images, maybe better anti-aliasing etc. Sony have been pretty vague with what they have said really. But it has made me wonder if perhaps some PSVR games on normal PS4 won't be using the full resolution of the screen in the headset, which is not huge to begin with.

I am sticking with my PSVR pre-order. If I find that my old PS4 isn't enough for it, then I will reconsider later.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I think fanpages is right - perhaps the old adage if you're not sure what to do then wait applies - especially to technology purchases And that link you supplied is excellent. I'm going to wait it out, probably not 12 months though I'll prob crack when someone posts a killer deal on here after Christmas!. Cheers everybody
Edited by: "exexpat" 9th Sep 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition74845
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
    3. Win free gin for a year99
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines65

See more discussions