PS4 7.50 update - Issues reported from consoles stuck in boot loop to discs not being ejected (Selected systems / poss fixes in thread)

Lead deal editor28
Posted 18th Apr
looks like the latest Sony PlayStation update is causing various issues affecting the PS4 and the PS4 Pro - it does seem to be hit and miss on who it is affecting though.

reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/g2qetq/ps4_not_reading_or_ejecting_disc_after_750_update/

reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/g2l6q1/750_broke_my_ps4/

reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/g2ppcj/ps4_completely_stopped_working_after_system_update/

IF you do have issues, below guides may help

How to access Safe Mode

Turn off the PS4 system by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.

Once the PS4 system is off, press and hold the power button again. Release it after you hear the second beep: one beep will sound when you first press, and another seven seconds later.

Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 with the USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.

Using a PC or Mac, create a folder on the FAT32 USB named "PS4". Inside that folder, create another folder named "UPDATE".Download the update file and save it in the "UPDATE" folder. Save the file with the file name "PS4UPDATE.PUP".

Ensure that the “PS4” folder is at the root of the USB storage device, and not contained in another folder: USB (D:) > PS4 > UPDATE.Connect a DS4 controller (using a USB cable) and the USB drive to the PS4 system.

Start the PS4 system in Safe Mode: press and hold the power button, releasing after the second beep.Select Safe Mode option 3 “Update System Software”.Select [Update from USB Storage Device] > [OK].

If your PS4 system does not recognise the update file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. Enter the folder names and file name in single-byte characters using uppercase letters.

Obviously, everything is at your own risk.

You can get the updates for USB here

if you haven't downloaded/ installed already, it might be worth holding off downloading/installing until Sony release an update/fix but this could be a while.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

28 Comments
Thanks for the info Dan I will hold off the update
MasterSol18/04/2020 10:54

Thanks for the info Dan I will hold off the update

One PS4 updated here (Pro), without any issue BUT the 'standard' PS4 we're holding off updating, until we've had an update from Sony.

No problem!
Updated launch PS4 last night from 5.5 to 7.5 without issue
r3dhotukdeals18/04/2020 11:05

Updated launch PS4 last night from 5.5 to 7.5 without issue

Yeah, it's not issue for all, seems hit and miss but just a heads up and how you could poss fix any errors with 'offline' updates
Dan_8218/04/2020 11:07

Yeah, it's not issue for all, seems hit and miss but just a heads up and …Yeah, it's not issue for all, seems hit and miss but just a heads up and how you could poss fix any errors with 'offline' updates

I’ve done mine no issue, reading some of those comments makes it seem like just actual hardware failure and a coincidence Sometimes drives fail.
Updates went through fine this end on both pro and original PS4 (although that is sadly digital only nowadays )
My pro is fine, launch Pro
Dannyrobbo18/04/2020 11:09

I’ve done mine no issue, reading some of those comments makes it seem like …I’ve done mine no issue, reading some of those comments makes it seem like just actual hardware failure and a coincidence Sometimes drives fail.

Of course, always a possibility! Although various reports of players in bootloop after the update(s)

Also ''Other PS4 users are receiving the error code SU-42118-6, an error that is related to the console’s internal Blu-Ray drive. The error is not on the fault of your actual blu-ray drive, only the update.''

At least for those that are having issues, hopefully the guide in OP will sort some of the issues.

Good to see you updated without issue, happy gaming!
My and my wife's ps4 consoles are OK with the new update. No issues detected...
Seriously what is it with manufacturers not testing updates rigorously before releasing to the masses. Im looking mostly at you Microsoft...
Rhythmm18/04/2020 11:46

Seriously what is it with manufacturers not testing updates rigorously …Seriously what is it with manufacturers not testing updates rigorously before releasing to the masses. Im looking mostly at you Microsoft...

Why would they bother testing the update when they have over 100 million people who could do it for them?
Edited by: "evosquest" 18th Apr

Seriously what is it with manufacturers not testing updates rigorously …Seriously what is it with manufacturers not testing updates rigorously before releasing to the masses. Im looking mostly at you Microsoft...

Microsoft are a little bit different. There are maybe 4 or 5 variations of hardware configurations with a PS4. With a PC there are literally millions. There is no real way to test every config efficiently. They do roll out updates to "insider" members first and ask for any issues to be reported and then they also have a period of staged rollout via monthly channels so as not to roll out to all PCs globally at once. But issues will happen. There are billions of PCs out there and unfortunately you can't plan for all of them.
Mine messed up. It first booted to a blank screen. After turning it off and on again it tried to rebuild the database and failed. Then it went into safe mode and wanted me to update via usb, which failed. Then it rebooted ok but with no online access and wanted me to update to 7.50 again, which seems to have worked. Fingers crossed. Others have had to totally reinitialise.
Don’t panic if you do get the “blue screen of death” My database became corrupted after the update. To rectify I had to restart console in safe mode then rebuild the database (using the prompts). Took about 5 mins and lost no data. The console seemed to forget which games and apps I had recently used but that was about it.
I updated my Pro on Thursday and played GT Sport online with friends and had no issues.
No issues with me thus, far since update this morning
One PS4 in my house kept going through a reboot cycle after “error occurred” but worked fine after a couple restarts. The other updates fine slight error of failing to start application but might not be because of the update
I've done the update and I did wonder if something was causing my PS4 to act as if it had been switched off incorrectly, after the last couple of boots resulted in the message about switching off safely and rebuilding the database.
I thought Sony would have waited until the PS5 was actually released before starting to cripple the PS4!
Edited by: "Familyguy1982" 19th Apr

I agree the worst thing is PS has a beta update programme out where you can get the latest updates before anyone else and test the new features but if it bricks your console up they are not liable as they said in the t&C's
Updated yesterday and the boys ps4 working fine...so far so good(y)

evosquest18/04/2020 11:50

Why would they bother testing the update when they have over 100 million …Why would they bother testing the update when they have over 100 million people who could do it for them?

This was mass tested. I was part of the beta testing and this issue didn’t crop up for those on the program. It’ll be a select few who this has happened to and I wouldn’t rule out the cause being hard drives dying in people’s consoles, which could have caused a corrupted update.
What really winds me up is they block PSN access and online play until you update. Surely there should be a cross over time to carry on with the old firmware for a few weeks?
Mine has downloaded the update but I’m not going to risk updating until there’s more info on this. How well, Xbox playtime I guess.
maaaan already got the update but no issues so far, this discussion is making me scared
no issues for me either, think mine is a standard PS4
Levy280518/04/2020 11:39

My and my wife's ps4 consoles are OK with the new update. No issues …My and my wife's ps4 consoles are OK with the new update. No issues detected...

You have a playstation each?
Loving relationship then.
Levy280518/04/2020 11:39

My and my wife's ps4 consoles are OK with the new update. No issues …My and my wife's ps4 consoles are OK with the new update. No issues detected...

Relationship goals
Pootled18/04/2020 21:10

You have a playstation each?Loving relationship then.

Yes, I feel lucky
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants