Found 4th May
So I have a PS4 that developed the Blue Light of Death. I decided to post it on Gumtree as "spares and repairs" to recoup some money as I've purchased a replacement console. The problem is however, my info/account is on that Blue Light of Death console which I can't turn on to erase the hard drive. What I'm asking is, how can I format the hard drive? or should I simply sell the console without it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

1. Ask
  2. PS4
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. PS4
9 Comments

I bought a seagate 2tb to install into my ps4 its easy. them I put my original 500gb PS4 HDD into the seagate case and formatted it using a PC if you want to upgrade your hdd then thats an option

If you have a PC and feel comfortable you could always take the side panel off it and see if it has a spare sata connection, it'd have to be quite old not too, if it does you can plug it into your pc and format it there.

Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses. Do you know if the PS4 hard drives are interchangeable? as I stated I have a replacement PS4 Slim now. Could I just put my Blue Light of Death hard drive (which is the old fat model) into the Slim?

I'm pretty sure there's some form of encryption which would disable you accessing the data but it would probably allow you to format the drive.

Yeah you won't be able to access the data just format the drive, only that ps4 can access that hdd.

Change your ps account password or even better add 2 step verification (that process includes an option at the end to sign you out of all currently logged in devices).

Alternatively follow this - deactivate ps4 online.

Go to account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/

Then select [Deactivate All] under [Account] > [Media and Devices] for the type of content for which you want to deactivate all activated systems.

That way even if fixed the person won't have access to your account details. My ps3 used to save the login info for accounts separately to the hdd, I don't know if the ps4 is different or not so I would deactivate it and add 2 step security personally.

On top of formatting the hdd.

Original Poster

AndrewRoss

Yeah you won't be able to access the data just format the drive, only … Yeah you won't be able to access the data just format the drive, only that ps4 can access that hdd. Change your ps account password or even better add 2 step verification (that process includes an option at the end to sign you out of all currently logged in devices).Alternatively follow this - deactivate ps4 online.Go to http://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ Log in.Then select [Deactivate All] under [Account] > [Media and Devices] for the type of content for which you want to deactivate all activated systems.That way even if fixed the person won't have access to your account details. My ps3 used to save the login info for accounts separately to the hdd, I don't know if the ps4 is different or not so I would deactivate it and add 2 step security personally. On top of formatting the hdd.

​I just tried the link and it states that I only have 1 activated PS4 which is my new slim. Maybe I deactivated my old console when I set up the new one? I'll try to put the hard drive in the Slim and hopefully get the option to format it and I'll also set up the 2-step verification. Thank you all for your help

If you have a PC you could try putting the drive into it and formatting it via disk management

H_R_Ali

​I just tried the link and it states that I only have 1 activated PS4 w … ​I just tried the link and it states that I only have 1 activated PS4 which is my new slim. Maybe I deactivated my old console when I set up the new one? I'll try to put the hard drive in the Slim and hopefully get the option to format it and I'll also set up the 2-step verification. Thank you all for your help

​Yes you would have de-activated your primary on the faulty ps4 if you used the same account on the new PlayStation. The drive easily comes out and will format via a pc no problem. The ps4 data is only readable on the ps4.
Any content on your old ps4 will no longer work now the console is not activated as a primary. I think it will refuse to play any games or access any content until it goes online and the password entered. So if you didn't format it would not be any use game wise to someone if they did repair it. I also believe if they try the hdd in another ps4 it will not work without being formatted as it should say this drive is not for this ps4.. *That's how the ps3 was anyway

Just keep the drive and use it in a caddie, there's a reason Sony included two wipe options on the PS4, quick and full, full is a secure wipe so no data can be retrieved off the drive.

I certainly wouldn't let them have the console and the drive without securely wiping the drive first.

Edited by: "4Real2016" 5th May
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56554
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle67
    3. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)45
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…22

See more discussions