PS4 camera

Posted 26th Dec 2019
Has anyone got any suggestions where I can get a PS4 camera? I came to do some PSVR and the camera isn't recognised, so games like Rigs won't even start up.

I can't find any stock in Argos, CEX are very light on stock as well although they do have V1 cameras. Game are expensive, Gumtree don't have any, Ebay aren't cheap either. Music Magpie don't even stock them.

Is there anywhere I might have missed ? I appreciate they're not a 'current' thing, but they shouldn't be as bad to find as the Move controllers.

Alternatively, is there anything I can check on the camera itself? I bring up the camera on the devices menu, and it comes up with the camera not connected screen. When I plug the camera in, I get the four playstation symbols changing like it's been identified, but a few seconds later it just says no camera connected.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Have you tried Shpock?
I didn't know they were as bad as the ps move. At this rate people will be sending back.
What camera are you trying to use that isn't recognised? Anyway there isn't that much difference between the v1 and v2 camera except the shape, though anecdotally I've read that the v1 camera may track better than the v2. CEX sell the v1 for £18, personally I'd just go for that rather than trying to get hold of a v2 that you might end up paying over the odds for.
MR112326/12/2019 22:44

I didn't know they were as bad as the ps move. At this rate people will be …I didn't know they were as bad as the ps move. At this rate people will be sending back.

Sending back what?
MR112326/12/2019 22:55

Psvr

It usually works out better to buy a PSVR set such as the VR Worlds or Mega Pack bundles than trying to buy a headset on it's own and then a camera. I don't know if too many people buy the headsets separately these days.
OK, so typing this post actually got me thinking... my daughter also has a PS4!

I tried the camera in her PS4 and it works fine. Then something really funny happened when I plugged it in mine. I got 'too many USB devices connected'. Fair enough, I unplugged the hard drive and the PSVR... and then the camera worked!!

I'm now wondering whether the hard drive (a 2.5" USB powered 4TB drive) is actually taking too much power to allow the camera to work properly. Thinking about it, the hard drive is a new addition since I last used PSVR, so lots of things are pointing towards that.

However, the main fix for 'too many USB devices connected' is a database rebuild, so as a purely housekeeping measure I'm going to do that first. If anyone has any thoughts on my apparent power issue I'd appreciate it (it's a PS4 slim by the way, not sure if that is a contributing factor).
MR112326/12/2019 22:44

I didn't know they were as bad as the ps move. At this rate people will be …I didn't know they were as bad as the ps move. At this rate people will be sending back.

I meant bad as in expensive for what they are. I bought my Move controllers at just the right time, when no-one wanted them. I paid £10 for a pair. Now they're needed for PSVR, and new ones seem scarce, their prices have skyrocketed. I hope the same isn't the same for the cameras.
Haircut_10026/12/2019 23:00

It usually works out better to buy a PSVR set such as the VR Worlds or …It usually works out better to buy a PSVR set such as the VR Worlds or Mega Pack bundles than trying to buy a headset on it's own and then a camera. I don't know if too many people buy the headsets separately these days.

I was referring to ps move. Just bought psvr myself, not been able to get hold of ps move for a long time, I was looking before I bought it. I'm going to try sending it back even though it's used. I think Sony know this gimmick won't last, lack of supplies already, only time till support on games will end which will leave me with a expensive dead headset. Should have got the switch.
Edited by: "MR1123" 26th Dec 2019
MR112326/12/2019 23:10

I was referring to ps move. Just bought psvr myself, not been able to get …I was referring to ps move. Just bought psvr myself, not been able to get hold of ps move for a long time, I was looking before I bought it. I'm going to try sending it back even though it's used. I think Sony know this gimmick won't last, lack of supplies already, only time till support on games will end which will leave me with a expensive dead headset. Should have got the switch.

Why would it be a "dead headset"? Sorry if I'm not getting the point you are making but there are lots and lots of PSVR games out there, both physical and digital, and plenty of them are playable without Move controllers by just using a controller. I don't see why you'd think it would be a "dead headset". Sony have even confirmed that the existing PSVR headset will be compatible with the PS5 (which in itself is backwards compatible with the PS4).
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 26th Dec 2019
Haircut_10026/12/2019 23:16

Why would it be a "dead headset"? Sorry if I'm not getting the point you …Why would it be a "dead headset"? Sorry if I'm not getting the point you are making but there are lots and lots of PSVR games out there, both physical and digital, and plenty of them are playable without Move controllers by just using a controller. I don't see why you'd think it would be a "dead headset".

If they wanted to keep it alive, they would have enough ps move and they would be confident they can sell them. They are making little by little because sales aren't there and when the sales aren't there the product gets slowly killed off. You would have to look at it from there point of view to understand, business point of view, not mine.

Edit : sorry op to hijack your thread hope someone helps you out.
Edited by: "MR1123" 26th Dec 2019
MR112326/12/2019 23:50

If they wanted to keep it alive, they would have enough ps move and they …If they wanted to keep it alive, they would have enough ps move and they would be confident they can sell them. They are making little by little because sales aren't there and when the sales aren't there the product gets slowly killed off. You would have to look at it from there point of view to understand, business point of view, not mine.Edit : sorry op to hijack your thread hope someone helps you out.

Most PSVR games don't even require the Moves.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…mes

Sony should make more y (or better yet, release a new model with analog sticks). They are working on a successor to the PSVR though, as well as new controllers.
copperspock27/12/2019 03:40

Most PSVR games don't even require the …Most PSVR games don't even require the Moves.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_VR_gamesSony should make more y (or better yet, release a new model with analog sticks). They are working on a successor to the PSVR though, as well as new controllers.

I disagree slightly. Whilst most VR games may not rerquire move, a lot of the good ones do.

PS MOVE prices are disgusting though aren't they? It's old (very old) technology. But notso old that Sony wouldn't have just had a ton of the components still lying around. Luckily I bought a couple at the tail end of the PS3 era. £10 for two!

Unluckily, the other day got a sudden urge to play some PS3 lightgun games. Being lazy, I couldn't be bothered to synch/resynch between PS3/PS4. So had to get some more. CEX £43 a pair. Took another 45 minutes of labour to actually get them hygienic enough to handle them.

I think £43 for two delivered is the cheapest you'll find them (and that's for the PS3/V1 versions, though there's no difference functionally for anyone that doesn't realise). And that's still too expensive for what they are. Ebay prices are insane.
Edited by: "ra786" 27th Dec 2019
slimy3126/12/2019 23:03

OK, so typing this post actually got me thinking... my daughter also has a …OK, so typing this post actually got me thinking... my daughter also has a PS4! I tried the camera in her PS4 and it works fine. Then something really funny happened when I plugged it in mine. I got 'too many USB devices connected'. Fair enough, I unplugged the hard drive and the PSVR... and then the camera worked!!I'm now wondering whether the hard drive (a 2.5" USB powered 4TB drive) is actually taking too much power to allow the camera to work properly. Thinking about it, the hard drive is a new addition since I last used PSVR, so lots of things are pointing towards that.However, the main fix for 'too many USB devices connected' is a database rebuild, so as a purely housekeeping measure I'm going to do that first. If anyone has any thoughts on my apparent power issue I'd appreciate it (it's a PS4 slim by the way, not sure if that is a contributing factor).

You could try using a powered USB hub. Or a mains powered USB HDD. Or "inserting" power into your existing HDD using a "Y" cable and a phone charger. But that means buying more stuff. Though all that seems a bit weird since the camera uses it's own dedicated propriatory port in the first place.
Edited by: "ra786" 28th Dec 2019
ra78627/12/2019 05:20

You could try using a powered USB hub. Or a mains powered USB HDD. Or …You could try using a powered USB hub. Or a mains powered USB HDD. Or "inserting" power into your existing HDD using a "Y" cable and a phone charger. But that means buying more stuff. Though all that seems a bit weird since the camerauses it's own dedicated propitiatory port in the first place.

I did some more reading on the camera port itself. Yes it is a proprietary port, but internally it's bog standard USB 2 running off the USB controller. So that ties in with the symptoms I'm having.

I like the powered USB hub option, but I did read that it can't see hard drives plugged into a hub, is that right? I'll do a bit more looking on that though. A quick google suggests it needs to be a USB 3 hub for the HD to work?
slimy3127/12/2019 10:02

I did some more reading on the camera port itself. Yes it is a proprietary …I did some more reading on the camera port itself. Yes it is a proprietary port, but internally it's bog standard USB 2 running off the USB controller. So that ties in with the symptoms I'm having.I like the powered USB hub option, but I did read that it can't see hard drives plugged into a hub, is that right? I'll do a bit more looking on that though. A quick google suggests it needs to be a USB 3 hub for the HD to work?

I had a feeling the camera would just be USB internally, but the least I would have expected is that it's on a separate controller with its own isolated power to ensure it always works. Especially if they went to the effort of making a unique connector. Cheeky sods.

I've only ever tried a USB 3.0 hub. And it worked. Never had an issue with it not recognising HDD. So that's probably the best bet. It was a 4 port startech with it's own wall power supply. Find one that you like on Amazon and try asking a question to see if it'll work for your purpose.
ra78627/12/2019 11:56

I had a feeling the camera would just be USB internally, but the least I …I had a feeling the camera would just be USB internally, but the least I would have expected is that it's on a separate controller with its own isolated power to ensure it always works. Especially if they went to the effort of making a unique connector. Cheeky sods.I've only ever tried a USB 3.0 hub. And it worked. Never had an issue with it not recognising HDD. So that's probably the best bet. It was a 4 port startech with it's own wall power supply. Find one that you like on Amazon and try asking a question to see if it'll work for your purpose.

I think I'll follow your lead and go for the powered USB 3.0 one, thanks.
slimy3126/12/2019 23:04

I meant bad as in expensive for what they are. I bought my Move …I meant bad as in expensive for what they are. I bought my Move controllers at just the right time, when no-one wanted them. I paid £10 for a pair. Now they're needed for PSVR, and new ones seem scarce, their prices have skyrocketed. I hope the same isn't the same for the cameras.

I bought my psvr knowing I still had my old move controls from my ps3. Turned out my wife had thrown them away a couple of weeks before while having a tidy. Ended up paying 70 quid for a new set :/
slimy3126/12/2019 23:04

I meant bad as in expensive for what they are. I bought my Move …I meant bad as in expensive for what they are. I bought my Move controllers at just the right time, when no-one wanted them. I paid £10 for a pair. Now they're needed for PSVR, and new ones seem scarce, their prices have skyrocketed. I hope the same isn't the same for the cameras.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions