ps4 CD player

Found 26th Dec 2017
how is it that the ps4 can't play cds.

i really don't get, i can understand not putting in a CD drive but it has a blue ray drive.

surely a blue ray drive can read cds.

the Xbox one can, my 4k dvd player.

is it the hard ware, i just don't understand it

or does it just need a firmware codec update

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

The bluray drives in the ps4s aren't the best. Last time I checked the PS4 pro doesn't support UHD bluray. You would probably require a CD laser to read CDs and CDs aren't very common now.

In a nutshell the PS4 sucks on optical but supports flac at least. Better off using your 4k bluray player or even better an home theatre that supports Sony's high end audio formats.

kester768 m ago

In a nutshell the PS4 sucks on optical but supports flac at least. Better …In a nutshell the PS4 sucks on optical but supports flac at least. Better off using your 4k bluray player or even better an home theatre that supports Sony's high end audio formats.

It does? I didn't last time I tried.

Was a shock to me as well that it doesn't play CDs. But it took me a year and a half to work that out, so shows how much I use them.

MSK.16 m ago

It does? I didn't last time I tried.Was a shock to me as well that it …It does? I didn't last time I tried.Was a shock to me as well that it doesn't play CDs. But it took me a year and a half to work that out, so shows how much I use them.

I tend not to use CDs much as well. Still pull out my SACDs and SACD rips every so often in my hacked Sony BDS530. One of the main reasons we lost OtherOS on the PS3 was some smart person used it on the original US PS3s to rip nearly every SACD on the market which must of had the Sony Music execs flipping out in the board rooms

*bluray. FFS,

grex910152 m ago

*bluray. FFS,

Actually, it's Blu-ray.

I think what is more crazy is that on the verge of 2018 someone is still using CDs outside of a car.
Edited by: "catbeans" 27th Dec 2017

catbeans18 m ago

I think what is more crazy is that on the verge of 2018 someone is still …I think what is more crazy is that on the verge of 2018 someone is still using CDs outside of a car.

Brand new CDs can be picked up cheaper than MP3s if you shop around. The genre of music I listen to the band's are really struggling so I try my best to support them by not just streaming them through Spotify, YouTube etc.

catbeans21 m ago

I think what is more crazy is that on the verge of 2018 someone is still …I think what is more crazy is that on the verge of 2018 someone is still using CDs outside of a car.

Convenience Vs sound quality. Nothing crazy about wanting one over the other. Some people are too lazy to get up & put a CD in and others might have a good Hi-Fi setup & therefore prefer using CD, SACD or vinyl.

Original Poster

it takes me longer too stream, as i have too find apps, search, find the one i want, then i might need to Bluetooth it, but with cd, i turn it on press play, press button on av done, shame cds havnt done what movies done and include code for download, as if i want to play it on my portable device i gotta rip it

jonmarz891 h, 22 m ago

it takes me longer too stream, as i have too find apps, search, find the …it takes me longer too stream, as i have too find apps, search, find the one i want, then i might need to Bluetooth it, but with cd, i turn it on press play, press button on av done, shame cds havnt done what movies done and include code for download, as if i want to play it on my portable device i gotta rip it

Amazon have been doing this for at least a couple of years with accurip titles. You just tell alexa what album or song you want to hear and it will stream or play a download the track you want.

I tend to either rip with EAC or buy the Flac, DSD, DXD, DIFF or other HD format off a website. More devices are supporting digital HD audio formats now so you can get a lot more surround sound albums than was available on the original DTScd.

Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army15 h, 23 m ago

Brand new CDs can be picked up cheaper than MP3s if you shop around. The …Brand new CDs can be picked up cheaper than MP3s if you shop around. The genre of music I listen to the band's are really struggling so I try my best to support them by not just streaming them through Spotify, YouTube etc.

To be fair, I think YouTube is where artist make a bulk of their money. You look at the viewing figures of some pop stars - hence why they upload most of their tracks to YouTube when and album is released.
Don’t think by streaming them on YouTube they are getting nothing, the advertising revenue is immense, especially when you get to the viewing figures of Taylor swift and similar

ktm6664 h, 41 m ago

To be fair, I think YouTube is where artist make a bulk of their money. …To be fair, I think YouTube is where artist make a bulk of their money. You look at the viewing figures of some pop stars - hence why they upload most of their tracks to YouTube when and album is released. Don’t think by streaming them on YouTube they are getting nothing, the advertising revenue is immense, especially when you get to the viewing figures of Taylor swift and similar

I agree for pop stars like Taylor Swift they have money coming at them left right and centre but for obscure artists/bands outside of the mainstream, they have to tour endlessly just to make a living. Fans streaming their music and not buying it is destroying them. I cannot imagine advertising revenue is even a thing to them!
Post a comment
@
    Text