PS4 - control game discussion.

Posted 3rd Jun 2020
What a fabulously strange game this was! I was browsing ps Now a week or so ago and thought I’d give it a go. Read reviews of it online being hard and difficult, people comparing it to bloodborne, souls etc and I thought here we go...
Completed it last night and just wow! Anyone here played it? What did you guys find the hardest? There were a couple of bits for me, Salvador being one, the actual hardest bit though was the cleansing the siphons in chapter 9. I got all the way to the end dish, 2 enemies left, dodged one and flew off the edge! I was absolutely fuming
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
I played it on PC. It looks and plays nice. Some of the effects look really good. And it's got a very interesting premise. A really creepy atmosphere. The in game literature and especially the internal company promotional videos were very well done.

But I got to certain point where I just could not be bothered any more. Can't remember exactly what the boss was but I was quite far in. And I was on it for about an hour. Then I just stopped.

But it was enjoyable. I think I probably should have done a few more side missions to upgrade abilities.

And it didn't help that I'd just managed to fix my PSOne and really wanted to play that instead.

That's another bum note. The abilities and weapons upgrade menu is badly laid out and presented. And there are too many rubbish "drops". Breaking them down got a bit tedious.

Then there's the missions (the random ones) where if you fail, you can't do it again until an arbitrary length of time has passed, and by that time you've made it all the way across to the other side of the building and cannot be bothered to go all the way back.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER in italics

The motel sections were really confusing. I got it. It was meant to be confusing. But it was often very unclear what you're meant to do. Having to pull the light switch more than once with no feedback in between pulls to indicate you're doing the right thing, might have been an atmospheric choice, but it was poor game design. And that's just off the top of the head. There was some other stuff in the motel that was just annoying and immersion breaking.

And I don't know why everyone compares anything difficult to Demon's Souls/Bloodborne. Control is not that kind of difficult.

Still I would readily recommend the game.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 4th Jun
PAISAL04/06/2020 03:13

I played it on PC. It looks and plays nice. Some of the effects look …I played it on PC. It looks and plays nice. Some of the effects look really good. And it's got a very interesting premise. A really creepy atmosphere. The in game literature and especially the internal company promotional videos were very well done. But I got to certain point where I just could not be bothered any more. Can't remember exactly what the boss was but I was quite far in. And I was on it for about an hour. Then I just stopped. But it was enjoyable. I think I probably should have done a few more side missions to upgrade abilities. And it didn't help that I'd just managed to fix my PSOne and really wanted to play that instead.That's another bum note. The abilities and weapons upgrade menu is badly laid out and presented. And there are too many rubbish "drops". Breaking them down got a bit tedious.Then there's the missions (the random ones) where if you fail, you can't do it again until an arbitrary length of time has passed, and by that time you've made it all the way across to the other side of the building and cannot be bothered to go all the way back.SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER in italicsThe motel sections were really confusing. I got it. It was meant to be confusing. But it was often very unclear what you're meant to do. Having to pull the light switch more than once with no feedback in between pulls to indicate you're doing the right thing, might have been an atmospheric choice, but it was poor game design. And that's just off the top of the head. There was some other stuff in the motel that was just annoying and immersion breaking.And I don't know why everyone compares anything difficult to Demon's Souls/Bloodborne. Control is not that kind of difficult. Still I would readily recommend the game.

Agree with the motel! Shamelessly got stuck there on occasion and referred to a guide, I tried to keep guide use to a minimum/ zero during this game as I just didn’t want to spoil anything! Interestingly you’ve said about the bosses being a point holding you back, the actual campaign only has one boss, Salvador. If you were getting stuck on bosses, the missions you were playing I believe were side missions. The main campaign has one or two infuriating battles though!
interestingly also you’ve said about bloodborne, have you played it? I’m debating playing it as I have it from PS plus from years back but never got round to it, would you say it’s difficulty is harder than control?
Kratos6904/06/2020 08:06

Agree with the motel! Shamelessly got stuck there on occasion and referred …Agree with the motel! Shamelessly got stuck there on occasion and referred to a guide, I tried to keep guide use to a minimum/ zero during this game as I just didn’t want to spoil anything! Interestingly you’ve said about the bosses being a point holding you back, the actual campaign only has one boss, Salvador. If you were getting stuck on bosses, the missions you were playing I believe were side missions. The main campaign has one or two infuriating battles though! interestingly also you’ve said about bloodborne, have you played it? I’m debating playing it as I have it from PS plus from years back but never got round to it, would you say it’s difficulty is harder than control?

It may well have been Salvador. The room was “red”. I did manage to get a technique down with him where if you timed it right, you could get loads of damage in before he even moves. But a few more goes in, I sort of just stopped. Like I said it wasn’t so much just the difficulty, I could feel I almost had him. Just had enough at that point. And I had some other games enticing me. I’ll probably go back to it someday. Although I’d have to restart because I forget things.

Bloodborne is a different kind of hard. It’s an action RPG really (come to think of it, I’d even describe Control as an action RPG of sorts).

It’s hard. But not undoable. It’s a bit overrated I think. Didn’t get particularly drawn to the world. Same with Dark/Demons Souls. It’s quite methodical and relies on well timed hitting and blocking and movement. Once you get used to the mechanics it’s pretty straightforward. If you like that sort of thing, you’ll enjoy it.

I think the reason for it’s popularity and “notoriety” has more to do with most professional games reviewers not actually having played that many games, and when something like that comes along, it’s a bit of a “Oh God! This is harder than diamonds!” sort of reaction.

It is a good game though all said.

It is harder than Control. But that’s more because of the style of gameplay. You can’t really run around and take cover or hide away in a corner like in a third person action/shooter.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 4th Jun
PAISAL04/06/2020 08:56

It may well have been Salvador. The room was “red”. I did manage to get a t …It may well have been Salvador. The room was “red”. I did manage to get a technique down with him where if you timed it right, you could get loads of damage in before he even moves. But a few more goes in, I sort of just stopped. Like I said it wasn’t so much just the difficulty, I could feel I almost had him. Just had enough at that point. And I had some other games enticing me.Bloodborne is a different kind of hard. It’s an action RPG really (come to think of it, I’d even describe Control as an action RPG of sorts).It’s hard. But not undoable. It’s a bit overrated I think. Didn’t get particularly drawn to the world. Same with Dark/Demons Souls. It’s quite methodical and relies on well timed hitting and blocking and movement. Once you get used to the mechanics it’s pretty straightforward. If you like that sort of thing, you’ll enjoy it.It is harder than Control. But that’s more just because of the style of gameplay.

Yeah the red room was Salvador, it took me a few attempts, I just fully levelled up launch, when his shield was down spammed him with shots, hypnotising an enemy helped as it drew his attention away from me. Once he is beat there is one bit annoying bit and that’s all really but I agree, he is an annoyance.

I’ve never played a souls type of game to be honest, I’m tempted to give it a try but I’m fully expecting to uninstall lol! These days I’m more into story games I can churn through with not too much difficulty, the lockdown has definitely put me back on my PS4 though!
Post a comment
@
    Text