Ps4 died need advice about hard drive

Found 5th Nov 2017
So my ps4 is dead. Hard drive seems ok though so is there a way to clone it once I get a new console?

I'm thinking if waiting till black Friday for the best deals on a new or pro model so I have a bit of time.

Can I just clone it using a PC tool? It doesn't show up on my PC u less I'm in disk management so unsure what I can do to it without formatting it.
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Can't help you with the hard drive front but has it died of its own accord? You tried to get a replacement/refund from where you bought it?
Rusty826 m ago

Can't help you with the hard drive front but has it died of its own …Can't help you with the hard drive front but has it died of its own accord? You tried to get a replacement/refund from where you bought it?

It's 3 years old from game so I think im out of luck.

Think my best bet is to replace on black Friday....
Are you sure it's 100% dead ?
kester761 h, 19 m ago

Are you sure it's 100% dead ?

Definantly
Won't even go to safe mode. No noise no light no nothing.

Took it apart and.l to check it and retrieve my disk as manual disk try screw wouldn't work too and still can't tell.

It was fine Sat night but All of a sudden stopped.

I've tried everything I can see on Google so I think its done.
nekoangel37 m ago

DefinantlyWon't even go to safe mode. No noise no light no nothing.Took it …DefinantlyWon't even go to safe mode. No noise no light no nothing.Took it apart and.l to check it and retrieve my disk as manual disk try screw wouldn't work too and still can't tell.It was fine Sat night but All of a sudden stopped.I've tried everything I can see on Google so I think its done.

Sounds like the PSU is dead if you don't get anything from it. Might be worth swapping it out as 2nd hand ones on ebay for £10.
Just read an article about how sometimes the PSU connectors can come loose and not seat well with the PS4.

32377210-FInWc.jpg
Looks like it has crappy 5v and 12v connections so I would try reseating the PSU 1st.
kester763 h, 0 m ago

Just read an article about how sometimes the PSU connectors can come loose …Just read an article about how sometimes the PSU connectors can come loose and not seat well with the PS4.[Image] Looks like it has crappy 5v and 12v connections so I would try reseating the PSU 1st.

We already dismantled it to do everything that doesn't need a soldering iron. I'll have a read into that though. I think it was getting power. Just not starting up
There’s nothing you can do with the hard drive as soon as you put it in your new PS4 it’ll ask you to format it. Try buying a new PSU from Ebay, there are a few different pub configurations so check you are buying the right one
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 6th Nov 2017
Dannyrobbo27 m ago

There’s nothing you can do with the hard drive as soon as you put it in y …There’s nothing you can do with the hard drive as soon as you put it in your new PS4 it’ll ask you to format it. Try buying a new PSU from Ebay, there are a few different pub configurations so check you are buying the right one

I'm no engineer but I'd rather get a new console than risk a repair piece that may not be the issue.

It was getting power as the eject button would beep but nothing more.

It was playing fine Saturday night but Sunday afternoon it just wouldn't turn on. When we opened it up it was choc full of dust etc and since the manual eject screw didn't work untill we took the drive out I figured it had faulted in a few places.
nekoangel25 m ago

I'm no engineer but I'd rather get a new console than risk a repair piece …I'm no engineer but I'd rather get a new console than risk a repair piece that may not be the issue.It was getting power as the eject button would beep but nothing more.It was playing fine Saturday night but Sunday afternoon it just wouldn't turn on. When we opened it up it was choc full of dust etc and since the manual eject screw didn't work untill we took the drive out I figured it had faulted in a few places.

There are about 4 different power sources In that psu so it may be just one is down. for the £10 it costs you to try Id honestly just try it if you are buying a new one anyway. It’s not tough to take apart
Dannyrobbo27 m ago

There are about 4 different power sources In that psu so it may be just …There are about 4 different power sources In that psu so it may be just one is down. for the £10 it costs you to try Id honestly just try it if you are buying a new one anyway. It’s not tough to take apart

I've already taken it apart once so roughly know my way around it.
A tenner isn't bad I suppose I just expected them to be more.
You think it might be the case based on the lack of turning on and just the single beep from the disk tray?
nekoangel4 h, 9 m ago

I've already taken it apart once so roughly know my way around it.A tenner …I've already taken it apart once so roughly know my way around it.A tenner isn't bad I suppose I just expected them to be more.You think it might be the case based on the lack of turning on and just the single beep from the disk tray?

With it only being a tenner I’d say defo try it. As with anything it could be another issue, but the only thing that I think could cause a complete failure to turn on with no warning light illuminated is the psu.
Dannyrobbo31 m ago

With it only being a tenner I’d say defo try it. As with anything it c …With it only being a tenner I’d say defo try it. As with anything it could be another issue, but the only thing that I think could cause a complete failure to turn on with no warning light illuminated is the psu.

I have the option to get a ps4 Pro for 280 from cash convertors which is very tempting right now so I'm a little up in the air.

I think it was getting some power as they eject button could beep once if you pressed it but nothing internal moved. I need to have a think about t lol I guess.

I'm looking at potential repair. 200 for new slim model or 280 for very good condition pro from cash convertors so a few options.
nekoangel17 h, 41 m ago

It's 3 years old from game so I think im out of luck.Think my best bet is …It's 3 years old from game so I think im out of luck.Think my best bet is to replace on black Friday....

My xbox wouldn't power on at all. It tried but just wouldn't come on. Took if to a repair shop who said what was wrong, something on the power board, can't remember what. It was 3 years old. Our of warranty. Got retailer to refund me, it wasn't full price that I paid but it was more than enough for a newer S model.
Rusty8256 m ago

My xbox wouldn't power on at all. It tried but just wouldn't come on. Took …My xbox wouldn't power on at all. It tried but just wouldn't come on. Took if to a repair shop who said what was wrong, something on the power board, can't remember what. It was 3 years old. Our of warranty. Got retailer to refund me, it wasn't full price that I paid but it was more than enough for a newer S model.

My retailer would be game so doubt id get enough fir even half a new console lol.

Are they obliged to help regardless of time frame?
nekoangel58 m ago

My retailer would be game so doubt id get enough fir even half a new …My retailer would be game so doubt id get enough fir even half a new console lol.Are they obliged to help regardless of time frame?

If you live in England you are covered for six years if you can prove that it's an inherent fault. Quite often a local repair shop would do this for free but may charge a small fee. If it's a well known issue then it would be even easier.

You should contact citizens advice who will give you a template letter that you can tailer to suit your needs and send/give to Game.

My Xbox was bought from Sainsbury's. They initially fobbed me off but after getting the appropriate legal worded letter and followed with the report from repair shop then agreed to a partial refund. They will deduct a reasonable amount given you've been playing it for 3 years etc. I got about 2/3rds of initial cost of a day one Xbox One.
Rusty822 h, 57 m ago

If you live in England you are covered for six years if you can prove that …If you live in England you are covered for six years if you can prove that it's an inherent fault. Quite often a local repair shop would do this for free but may charge a small fee. If it's a well known issue then it would be even easier.You should contact citizens advice who will give you a template letter that you can tailer to suit your needs and send/give to Game.My Xbox was bought from Sainsbury's. They initially fobbed me off but after getting the appropriate legal worded letter and followed with the report from repair shop then agreed to a partial refund. They will deduct a reasonable amount given you've been playing it for 3 years etc. I got about 2/3rds of initial cost of a day one Xbox One.

Guess I'll have to dig up my proof of purchase now! Cheers for this it's worth a try.
nekoangel1 h, 58 m ago

Guess I'll have to dig up my proof of purchase now! Cheers for this it's …Guess I'll have to dig up my proof of purchase now! Cheers for this it's worth a try.

No worries. Yes it would definately be easier if you had it. You could maybe use a bank/card statement as well but not totally sure about that.

Good luck!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants