Ps4 disc stopped working...help please???

Posted 3rd Apr
Was wondering if anyone has any tips on how I could salvage my sons Fifa 20 disc...all off a sudden it’s saying it’s an unrecognised disc and can’t go to game for them to skim the disc????
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

30 Comments
Silly question but have you tried cleaning it?
Tried cleaning the disc with a microfibre cloth? Any scratches on the disc? Disc reader lens might be dirty. Any scratches or gouges in the disc?
Bandicoot03/04/2020 11:55

Silly question but have you tried cleaning it?

Yeah...numerous time and now frustrating the life out of me(mad)
fearghalg03/04/2020 11:55

Tried cleaning the disc with a microfibre cloth? Any scratches on the …Tried cleaning the disc with a microfibre cloth? Any scratches on the disc? Disc reader lens might be dirty. Any scratches or gouges in the disc?

I’ve not tried with a microfibre cloth...could be a shout...the console is in excellent condition as just came back from being repaired and serviced 3 weeks ago...no scratches on disc(confused)
try changing the PS4 position from horizontal to vertical.
sheilajay03/04/2020 12:00

try changing the PS4 position from horizontal to vertical.

Thanks...I’ll also try this solution(y)
You want to try cleaning the lens cleaner on the PS4, you can buy a cheap cleaner set online. But have you got an early model PS4 Pro by any chance? They can be very it and miss with reading discs at times.
Haircut_10003/04/2020 12:10

You want to try cleaning the lens cleaner on the PS4, you can buy a cheap …You want to try cleaning the lens cleaner on the PS4, you can buy a cheap cleaner set online. But have you got an early model PS4 Pro by any chance? They can be very it and miss with reading discs at times.

I will even try this then...my son has an older model again as was purchased nearly 5 year ago but is in tip top condition...it’s the players edition(y)
Is it on the latest version of the PlayStation software? There was a bug in earlier versions that stopped disks reading - although that was quite a while ago
iang00703/04/2020 12:54

Is it on the latest version of the PlayStation software? There was a bug …Is it on the latest version of the PlayStation software? There was a bug in earlier versions that stopped disks reading - although that was quite a while ago

Yeah...software all up to date...thanks though(y)
Have you tried a different disc to determine if it’s the disc or the PS4
CupN00dle03/04/2020 13:10

Have you tried a different disc to determine if it’s the disc or the PS4

Defo the disc as all other discs are working fine and the console was only serviced 3 weeks ago(y)
Mich8ll803/04/2020 13:29

Defo the disc as all other discs are working fine and the console was only …Defo the disc as all other discs are working fine and the console was only serviced 3 weeks ago(y)

Ah right I was going to tell you how to rebuild the database on your PS4 but if it’s solely the disc then there’s no point in that!

Is it scratched?
Just download digital copy from the network no problem then...
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 3rd Apr
CupN00dle03/04/2020 13:38

Ah right I was going to tell you how to rebuild the database on your PS4 …Ah right I was going to tell you how to rebuild the database on your PS4 but if it’s solely the disc then there’s no point in that! Is it scratched?

Doesn’t seem to be scratched after close inspection(lol)
Bargainhead03/04/2020 13:46

Just download digital copy from the network no problem then...

I’m not willing to pay out for another fifa 20..even digitally...cost me enough to buy it when first released for my son...that’s why I’m trying to find a fixable solution to the problem...haha(y)
Mich8ll803/04/2020 14:19

I’m not willing to pay out for another fifa 20..even digitally...cost me e …I’m not willing to pay out for another fifa 20..even digitally...cost me enough to buy it when first released for my son...that’s why I’m trying to find a fixable solution to the problem...haha(y)

I buy all games digitally, to lazy to have to change disc and stops this issue.. But PC games been that way for years..

a cheaper solution is to get your child to look after the discs, you said you use game before so must happen a bit..
Bargainhead03/04/2020 14:35

I buy all games digitally, to lazy to have to change disc and stops this …I buy all games digitally, to lazy to have to change disc and stops this issue.. But PC games been that way for years.. a cheaper solution is to get your child to look after the discs, you said you use game before so must happen a bit..

My son prefers the discs due to them being birthday/Xmas presents and I’ve only ever had to get one disc skimmed in nearly 5 years...believe me when I say my son looks after his discs as he’s very proud of his ps4 disc collection and he has a nagging mum who makes sure he treats his stuff with respect..lol!
Mich8ll803/04/2020 13:29

Defo the disc as all other discs are working fine and the console was only …Defo the disc as all other discs are working fine and the console was only serviced 3 weeks ago(y)

When you say it was serviced, who did it?

If whoever did it knocked the laser out of alignment then that can cause certain discs not to be read anymore.
Edited by: "Spark" 3rd Apr
Bargainhead03/04/2020 14:35

I buy all games digitally, to lazy to have to change disc and stops this …I buy all games digitally, to lazy to have to change disc and stops this issue.. But PC games been that way for years.. a cheaper solution is to get your child to look after the discs, you said you use game before so must happen a bit..

It's a bit harsh telling him to get his child to look after the discs. I've had some problems with my PS4 Pro where a brand new game straight out of the shrink wrap was coming up as unrecognised when trying to play it.
Haircut_10003/04/2020 15:09

It's a bit harsh telling him to get his child to look after the discs. …It's a bit harsh telling him to get his child to look after the discs. I've had some problems with my PS4 Pro where a brand new game straight out of the shrink wrap was coming up as unrecognised when trying to play it.

I’m actually a female not a male;)
Also my son is nearly 11 years old so don’t think it’s harsh to tell him to look after his discs especially when he must have nearly £1000 worth of games which have been purchased over the years which he likes to keep in tip top condition so he can play them without problems(y) I will now purchase a disc cleaner and hopefully this helps if not i will no doubt cough up the money to replace the disc;(
It won’t be an issue with the disc. Blu ray discs take some serious abuse to scratch due to a special coating applied to them.

It’s a common issue with PS4 consoles after a while. Try rebuilding the database. (Worked on my old PS4 Pro) androidcentral.com/how…ild

Failing that, I’d be sending it back to the service centre. (Unless you feel like having a go at replacing the laser yourself.)
Mich8ll803/04/2020 15:17

I’m actually a female not a male;) Also my son is nearly 11 years old so d …I’m actually a female not a male;) Also my son is nearly 11 years old so don’t think it’s harsh to tell him to look after his discs especially when he must have nearly £1000 worth of games which have been purchased over the years which he likes to keep in tip top condition so he can play them without problems(y) I will now purchase a disc cleaner and hopefully this helps if not i will no doubt cough up the money to replace the disc;(

It's actually pretty hard to scratch or ruin PS4 discs. They aren't like Xbox 360 games that would pick up scratches just by looking at them or through normal use, PS4 discs are pretty resilient due to their use of Blu-Ray discs. I'd be very suprised if it's a problem with the disc itself, as others have said it sounds like it's more a problem with the lens inside the PS4. Look on YouTube for PS4 Disc Read Error and see if that's what you are experiencing.

Edited by: "Haircut_100" 3rd Apr
Haircut_10003/04/2020 15:09

It's a bit harsh telling him to get his child to look after the discs. …It's a bit harsh telling him to get his child to look after the discs. I've had some problems with my PS4 Pro where a brand new game straight out of the shrink wrap was coming up as unrecognised when trying to play it.

I was generalising children and I shouldn’t of, but some don’t look after things. This was not the case and I can admit when I’m wrong..
Haircut_10003/04/2020 15:25

It's actually pretty hard to scratch or ruin PS4 discs. They aren't like …It's actually pretty hard to scratch or ruin PS4 discs. They aren't like Xbox 360 games that would pick up scratches just by looking at them or through normal use, PS4 discs are pretty resilient due to their use of Blu-Ray discs. I'd be very suprised if it's a problem with the disc itself, as others have said it sounds like it's more a problem with the lens inside the PS4. Look on YouTube for PS4 Disc Read Error and see if that's what you are experiencing.[Video]

Thanks for the info...I will try this as it’s only the fifa 20 disc that keeps coming up unrecognised disc all off a sudden and my boy is Fifa daft(y)
Maybe try deleting the game off the storage, it might be corrupted on the hard drive. Doesn’t sound like this is the problem but worth a try
Google ps4 rebuild database, I had the same problem with a game not long ago and this fixed it, it doesn't take hours despite what the guides say and it doesn't delete anything, just make sure you do it with the disc out of the console.
Thanks for the advice guys(y) managed to finally get it working:D
Mich8ll807/04/2020 09:29

Thanks for the advice guys(y) managed to finally get it working:D

What fixed it?
I
Westwoodo07/04/2020 12:26

What fixed it?

I used a trick I use on cd’s when not working...I put the disc in a bag and put into my freezer for 24-48 hours...then cleaned with a microfibre cloth and that done the trick(y)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions