PS4 external hard drive

Posted 1st Jul 2020
Hi guys. Have a PS4 pro and thinking about getting an external hard drive now I have signed up to PS+. I’ve read up lots of pros and cons about HDD vs SSD etc but thinking of found for HDD due to cheaper prices per Terabyte. I reckon maybe a 4 or 6 Tb would be enough space. I just wondered what manufacturer and model people have or recommend. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
It doesn't really matter too much what brand you go for these days but the large Western Digital drives seem to be popular. A 6TB drive would be plenty big enough.
Thinking of buying a 6tb myself, hopefully it'll be enough to cover the next CoD update
Sell the playstation get a ps5 with ssd and future proof
Your drive needs to meet the requirements:
Usb 3.0
6tb max
I would recommend at least considering a decent speed. The first hard drive I got wasn't the fastest, and it was really noticeable on some games that I was playing at the time. I've since swapped it with a faster one and it's better. It's still a regular HDD rather than SSD, but it has decent speeds.

They were both usb3 drives.
I have a 2TB Western Digital works fine. Them and Segate are both good makes.
Have a 2TB WD and running perfectly fine.
I do unplug the drive when not playing installed games as haven't got round to so, saves wear on the disc being continuosly spinning.
Thanks everyone. Good advice especially usb 3.0. Will take that into account
_Tris_01/07/2020 18:59

Sell the playstation get a ps5 with ssd and future proof

The PS5 not even out yet and njm1981 wants a 4 or 6tb drive - PS5 has 825gb
njm198102/07/2020 05:12

Thanks everyone. Good advice especially usb 3.0. Will take that into …Thanks everyone. Good advice especially usb 3.0. Will take that into account

yeah, definately make sure its usb 3.0 as i found out a few weeks ago
I got a 1tb hdd from someone for free so using that but you find out it soon fills up. some of the games are insane in size.
yogi65948502/07/2020 08:02

The PS5 not even out yet and njm1981 wants a 4 or 6tb drive - PS5 has 825gb

PS5 will have 1 Yottabyte
EN1GMA02/07/2020 08:40

yeah, definately make sure its usb 3.0 as i found out a few weeks ago yeah, definately make sure its usb 3.0 as i found out a few weeks ago I got a 1tb hdd from someone for free so using that but you find out it soon fills up. some of the games are insane in size.

I know. COD MW updates hammered my storage. Glad I got the pro to start with.
Post a comment
@
    Text