Groups

PS4 Hard Drive Swap

Hi HUKD!

What is the maximum hard drive spec that the PS4 can take?
    E.g.
    Capacity
    RPM

My one has got to the point that I cannot update a game without uninstalling others (which I don't want to do).

Would this work:
    ebuyer.com/740…016

Thank you

17 Comments

you have to be really careful with the ps4 as the bay is very thin and some larger capacity drives will not fit i think it is 9mm at most worth googling to be sure as £190 is a lot to waste... this is one reason i prefer the xbox one to the ps4 as i can hook it up to my 24tb NAS without worring about storage :-)

Original Poster

Thanks for the pointers, I'll look into it further... the xbox is so much easier, wish the PS4 adopted the same system

jai47

Thanks for the pointers, I'll look into it further... the xbox is so much … Thanks for the pointers, I'll look into it further... the xbox is so much easier, wish the PS4 adopted the same system

Changing the hard drive isn't easier in the xbone.

It's a easier system but not to change parts on.

Westwoodo

Changing the hard drive isn't easier in the xbone.It's a easier system … Changing the hard drive isn't easier in the xbone.It's a easier system but not to change parts on.

​Splitting hairs no one claimed that just that its an easier system, which it is plus it means you can take your games with you easily too.

Linus of Linustechtips put a 4TB SSD in there.

I think the one he used is available from ebuyer for £750

sciencebctih

Linus of Linustechtips put a 4TB SSD in there. I think the one he used is … Linus of Linustechtips put a 4TB SSD in there. I think the one he used is available from ebuyer for £750

Don't think OP wants to spend that much! He could buy like 3 PS4s for that much!

Rid1

Don't think OP wants to spend that much! He could buy like 3 PS4s for … Don't think OP wants to spend that much! He could buy like 3 PS4s for that much!

Hey, it's technically the correct answer!

Actually I can't find it for that price anymore. I think the price is now £1300 from Amazon

Original Poster

Anything more than £100-150 and I'd get the PS4 Pro with its 1TB HDD
    better GPU and double my current 500GB disk.

The 4TB link was just to see if its worth it

sciencebctih

Hey, it's technically the correct answer!Actually I can't find it for … Hey, it's technically the correct answer!Actually I can't find it for that price anymore. I think the price is now £1300 from Amazon

Lmao, thats 1k more than my PC!

Get an external HDD and take it out of the casing and swap it into your PS4. I believe 2TB is the max but I may be wrong. Also it's cheaper to buy an external drive rather than just the drive itself this is the one I have:
    Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch External Hard Drive amazon.co.uk/dp/…G91
    Same price at Argos currently too maybe cheaper elsewhere but I haven't checked. Hope that's of some help

Just get a custom cover for the PS4, to take 3.5" HD

link: amazon.co.uk/Don…h=1

Can put what ever side HDD you want.
    Edited by: "thecoolguy" 21st Dec 2016

shasnir

You don't need to change the drive in the Xbox one, you simply plug in an … You don't need to change the drive in the Xbox one, you simply plug in an external USB portable or desktop usb 3 drive up to 16 Terabytes and you also Keep the internal drive space.No having to back anything up , no firmware to mess with and no having to dismantle a brand new USB 3 drive and void the warranty.You can copy or move between drives and you can take just the portable drive with your digital games on to any Xbox anywhere, sign in and play the games instantly whilst your Xbox is safely at home.

I don't need lecturing. Stating the xbox is easier though and not specifying at what isn't helpful.

Original Poster

thecoolguy

Just get a custom cover for the PS4, to take 3.5" HDlink: … Just get a custom cover for the PS4, to take 3.5" HDlink: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DongCoh-Cover-Drive-Station-Black/dp/B019Q2BSJO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1482350679&sr=8-6&keywords=ps4%2Bhdd&th=1Can put what ever side HDD you want.

might just do that - a few cheap ones on ebay

shasnir

What ?

Exactly what I put. You can remove the stick now.

Original Poster

I was wondering if those portable drives were usable - i've ordered the Nkyo DataBank off ebay for £20 with P&P.
    lets see how it goes

argos.co.uk/pro…935

Pop this out of the case and place the hard drive in ps4. Place ps4 hard drive in this and it'll work if you set it up right (can list instructions to you). I've done this and it works fine

I believe its the biggest hard drive you can have in PS4 without that NYKO databank
    Edited by: "xoisthemotive" 22nd Dec 2016

Original Poster

Thanks I'll see if I have a spare drive knocking around until the Nyko arrives.

Also found there are more steps than just backing up the PS4 first.
    Need to sync the trophies to PSN
    Backup system
    Deactivate as Primary device
    Swap HDD
    Boot in safe mode
    Reinstall OS
    Restore backup

certainly a task worthy of a bank holiday weekend :-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How to get best deal on sky23
      2. HUKD new UI55
      3. Stream Showbox from Bluestacks?46
      4. Looking for mac book pro 15" deal?22

See more discussions