Groups

ps4 hd upgrade

Thinking of upgrading PS4 hd and wondered if I'm better fitting 2tb standard or 1tb sshd? Or buying the add on to take a 3'5 drive. As I've heard it will then take upto 6tb and be a easier upgrade when drives come down in price.

Can anyone recommend a drive. Ideally a link would be nice

Thanks as always

18 Comments

All three options are worth considering - it's really down to personal preference which you go for, balanced with cost.

Personally, I recently upgraded to a standard 2TB HDD, one of these: amazon.co.uk/d/E…E5S (you need to extract the drive fromt he enclosure, but it's fairly straightforward)

Alternatively, if you can afford/justify the extra cost (about double) Samsung's FireCuda is a 2TB SSD: amazon.co.uk/gp/…-21

Original Poster

Thanks have you noticed any speed difference from stock drive?

tri_94

Thanks have you noticed any speed difference from stock drive?

Nothing significant enough for me to notice with the Seagate expansion drive that I have. They're both 5400rpm, so I wouldn't expect much difference.

Original Poster

I assume your choice was due to cost?

tri_94

I assume your choice was due to cost?

Well, I actually received it as a gift, but my reason for wishlisting that drive in particular was that it offers the best price for a 2TB drive, yes. I rarely find load times to be a particularly problematic in games.

I'm having the same dilemma at the moment about upgrading from 500GB. Have seen some second hand 1TB HDD for ~£35, or new ~£45. Or whether I'll be wanting to upgrade to a 2TB looking down the future, but not sure whether I'll have the need for more than 16-20 games or so installed at any one time.

jackdugher

I'm having the same dilemma at the moment about upgrading from 500GB. … I'm having the same dilemma at the moment about upgrading from 500GB. Have seen some second hand 1TB HDD for ~£35, or new ~£45. Or whether I'll be wanting to upgrade to a 2TB looking down the future, but not sure whether I'll have the need for more than 16-20 games or so installed at any one time.

I couldn't recommend buying a second-hard hard drive, unless it comes with a good warranty - without knowing the history of its use, I wouldn't want the potentially higher risk of failure.

mod

Reminder: If anyone has anything to sell you will need to start a thread in FS rather than trya nd sell in this thread

amazon.co.uk/Sam…2tb

Will this do? £119 Delivered. Doing exactly the same myself....

searchersearcher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SATA-Compatible-Internal-Drive-x/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483427712&sr=1-1&keywords=ps4+internal+hard+drive+2tbWill this do? £119 Delivered. Doing exactly the same myself....

​Yes, but why pay nearly double what you need to? See my links.

Illusionary

All three options are worth considering - it's really down to personal … All three options are worth considering - it's really down to personal preference which you go for, balanced with cost.Personally, I recently upgraded to a standard 2TB HDD, one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/External-Devices-Data-Storage/Seagate-Expansion-2TB-Portable-inch-Hard-Drive/B00TKFEE5S (you need to extract the drive fromt he enclosure, but it's fairly straightforward)Alternatively, if you can afford/justify the extra cost (about double) Samsung's FireCuda is a 2TB SSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M1UQQT5/?tag=ho01f-21

I agree I have also upgraded my HDD with the same 2TB drive over Christmas. Easy enough to extract from the casing and a doddle to upgrade the drive itself. Same price at Argos currently too.

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

Get a hybrid SSD. I have had one since day 1 of PS4 and it is amazing how quick, that I load my games and console load time. Expensive but worth it, I will order a 2TB one soon

Original Poster

Can anyone tell me if this is ssd or sshd as it states ssd but seems a steal at that price

Original Poster

Thank you for all the comments so far

tri_94

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014KH8XL6?ie=UTF8&tag=pric097-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1634&creativeASIN=B014KH8XL6&smid=A1AUCPBF2P18HS

tri_94

Can anyone tell me if this is ssd or sshd as it states ssd but seems a … Can anyone tell me if this is ssd or sshd as it states ssd but seems a steal at that price

tri_94

Thank you for all the comments so far

If it's too good to be true, it most likely isn't true

It's just a standard hard drive with expensive branding, albeit with a rather misleading spattering of "solid"/"solidly" in the description.
    Edited by: "Illusionary" 5th Jan

Original Poster

O it's a SAS drive not sata

Original Poster

Dazzles

I agree I have also upgraded my HDD with the same 2TB drive over … I agree I have also upgraded my HDD with the same 2TB drive over Christmas. Easy enough to extract from the casing and a doddle to upgrade the drive itself. Same price at Argos currently too.http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm

I went for the firecuda worth the extra. Thanks everyone
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Gear best shipping?44
      2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?44
      3. Virgin Media TV56
      4. Tooth extraction99

See more discussions