PS4... New or Used?

Posted 15th Jun 2020
New to the whole gaming thing but my 9 year old wants a PS4 after playing on relatives consoles.

Looking to buy one for his birthday end of next month.
Are there any issues with buying second hand and if so what could they be?
I see places online selling it for £249.99 with 2 games so would i be better off buying new?

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
New consoles will be out about 3 month later, considering they last around 8 year may be worth putting off. Or just buy 2nd hand which I never recommend with consoles.
Last Christmas I bought an amazon warehouse deal like new PS4 for under £150.
It came looking brand new. The box was even perfect. Might be worth a look on there to see if any pop up good luck
Cex have 2 year warranty for peace of mind.
I bought a used one from marketplace a year ago. No issues at all
if dirt cheap buy on fb if not cex for second hand as 2year on it. however personally if you want it to last wait for next gen
I'm looking for another PS4 console as I can't get on my PS4 pro anymore because of the kids always on it. I'm leaning towards saying you may as well get a new one because some of these second hand ones are now going for close to £200 and they go even more than that for the PS4 pro so for say an extra £50 or so you can get yourself a brand new one. I did get a used one off eBay a few months back but I had issues with it and it kept disconnecting. Obviously not all used ones will be like that but your taking a bit of a gamble and I'd just pay that little bit extra. Personally the best I can see at the moment seem to be on smyths toys
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 15th Jun
I got mine from CEX in March and its been perfect and pretty much on all the time since then, it cost £145. Plus I got quite a few cheap games that I wanted at the time so no worrying about what you get in a bundle.
Bargainhead15/06/2020 05:48

New consoles will be out about 3 month later, considering they last around …New consoles will be out about 3 month later, considering they last around 8 year may be worth putting off. Or just buy 2nd hand which I never recommend with consoles.

Some consoles are perfect condition 2nd hand. I sold my PS4 after only 4 months of use because I went back to xbox.
MonkeyMan9015/06/2020 09:31

Some consoles are perfect condition 2nd hand. I sold my PS4 after only 4 …Some consoles are perfect condition 2nd hand. I sold my PS4 after only 4 months of use because I went back to xbox.

Yes so true if i bought a 2nd hand console i think I'd want to see it in store to see how its been treated.
If you buy used, make sure you don’t buy this shaped model.

41097557-frrV8.jpg
It’s noisy as hell. Go for a PS4 Slim.
Biddy215/06/2020 09:55

If you buy used, make sure you don’t buy this shaped model. [Image] It’s no …If you buy used, make sure you don’t buy this shaped model. [Image] It’s noisy as hell. Go for a PS4 Slim.

Like the Pro then
Jet engine kicks in near enough as soon as I switch it on

Cheapest I can see on CEX is £230 and that's for the old PS4 like in the image above so for an extra £20 you can get a brand new one off smyths in white or black and with two games
efc_4ever15/06/2020 09:58

Like the Pro then Jet engine kicks in near enough as soon as I …Like the Pro then Jet engine kicks in near enough as soon as I switch it onCheapest I can see on CEX is £230 and that's for the old PS4 like in the image above so for an extra £20 you can get a brand new one off smyths in white or black and with two games

Yep. You’re better off doing that with today’s prices.

The newer model Pro isn’t nearly as bad as the old one to be fair, but it still has it’s moments. What Sony was thinking with the fans they chose across all the PS4s, I don’t know. PS5 had better bloody sorted it.
Biddy215/06/2020 10:14

Yep. You’re better off doing that with today’s prices. The newer mod …Yep. You’re better off doing that with today’s prices. The newer model Pro isn’t nearly as bad as the old one to be fair, but it still has it’s moments. What Sony was thinking with the fans they chose across all the PS4s, I don’t know. PS5 had better bloody sorted it.

How do you know which are the old or new PS4 pro console because I might sell my pro that I've had for a fair bit now and get the new model because the fan noise is just ridiculous
MonkeyMan9015/06/2020 09:31

Some consoles are perfect condition 2nd hand. I sold my PS4 after only 4 …Some consoles are perfect condition 2nd hand. I sold my PS4 after only 4 months of use because I went back to xbox.

Some are, but you don’t always know how they have been treated. Not worth the chance, unless you get a store guarantee like cex but then you paying more. I have sold a few consoles, only once bought 2nd hand and I wouldn’t do it again...
efc_4ever15/06/2020 10:28

How do you know which are the old or new PS4 pro console because I might …How do you know which are the old or new PS4 pro console because I might sell my pro that I've had for a fair bit now and get the new model because the fan noise is just ridiculous

The model number is 72xx (think it is 7216 here) and is usually on the box. All new stock should be those now but may be harder to find them used.

It still ramps up and down but you’ll usually only hear it at it’s worst for a few seconds, then it will calm down again. (Usually in areas where developers have left frame rates unlock, so in the menus) The best part about it is the horrible whining sound is gone so it’s a lot more tolerable.
i'd skip this gen. As when the ps5/ xbox 2? comes out it may be slightly pricier than the current gen. but with kids most of the time they see new things and want them.

Maybe ask him about the ps5 then make a deal for him to do chores until it is released. two birds one stone.

I don't have any kids so cant guarantee it'll work
Biddy215/06/2020 09:55

If you buy used, make sure you don’t buy this shaped model. [Image] It’s no …If you buy used, make sure you don’t buy this shaped model. [Image] It’s noisy as hell. Go for a PS4 Slim.

It seems to overheat more when you have it standing up like that - mine is not too bad sitting flat. Needs good ventilation.
Shoi123415/06/2020 11:18

i'd skip this gen. As when the ps5/ xbox 2? comes out it may be slightly …i'd skip this gen. As when the ps5/ xbox 2? comes out it may be slightly pricier than the current gen. but with kids most of the time they see new things and want them.Maybe ask him about the ps5 then make a deal for him to do chores until it is released. two birds one stone.I don't have any kids so cant guarantee it'll work

Did this with my 14 year old daughter. So many chores done. But now cant even get a look at the thing to play mario kart
talset15/06/2020 14:42

Did this with my 14 year old daughter. So many chores done. But now cant … Did this with my 14 year old daughter. So many chores done. But now cant even get a look at the thing to play mario kart

Haha that's the problem, in a way the console belongs to them
Thanks for all the replies!
He doesn't understand anything about games consoles himself to be honest, highly doubt he cares about a newer model as he is just obsessed with playing 2 specific games so im not sure waiting for the ps5 will be worth it seeing as it will be higher in price than the ps4 and at this young age all he wants to do is play a few games 😄 might just end up getting the deal on smyths or will have a look a cex website aswell

Thanks again!
Wait for ps5
Post a comment
@
    Text