PS4 Online - I can play online without PS Plus account, is that correct?

Found 31st Oct 2015
Picked up a PS4 last weekend and I assumed that to play online you needed a PS+ account, that right?

Anyway, so far Killzone, COD and Battlefield Hardline have let me play online? Is this correct

I did not accidentally sign up to the 14 day trial as I have no yellow plus above my name nor can I download the free PS+ games, but I can play online??

Please could someone confirm if this is correct, thanks
Community Updates
AskPlaystation PlusPS4
21 Comments
There are some games which let's you play without ps plus but for the vast majority of other titles you would need the plus subscription to play online.
Banned
far as I understand it, (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) any online portion of a game should require a Plus sub, any other online media such as the browser, Spotify and Netflix don't.
Original Poster
DarkEye

There are some games which let's you play without ps plus but for the … There are some games which let's you play without ps plus but for the vast majority of other titles you would need the plus subscription to play online.

Right ok, so just been lucky so far
if you bought second hand or have someone else's account on your ps4, then that ps4 may be set as their primary ps4, I do this with a friend, his ps4 is set as my primary, his account can play my digital games and go online, on my ps4 I just sign in as normal.
Original Poster
eternaldragonuk

if you bought second hand or have someone else's account on your ps4, … if you bought second hand or have someone else's account on your ps4, then that ps4 may be set as their primary ps4, I do this with a friend, his ps4 is set as my primary, his account can play my digital games and go online, on my ps4 I just sign in as normal.

Hi,

I did buy second hand but he wiped it to factory settings so when I turned it on it was as if I had bought it new. I have just tried cod advanced warfare and it also works online no problems??
primary ps4 info is held by psn, at sine point the buyer may log into a different ps4 or online and change which console us primary, or their ps plus will run out, enjoy the online whilst it lasts, unfortunately you can't get the PS plus free games without the original account, check out cdkeys for cheap PS plus, but wait for games that you want on PS plus to be free or for it to run out.
sorry about typos, on mobile.
Original Poster
eternaldragonuk

primary ps4 info is held by psn, at sine point the buyer may log into a … primary ps4 info is held by psn, at sine point the buyer may log into a different ps4 or online and change which console us primary, or their ps plus will run out, enjoy the online whilst it lasts, unfortunately you can't get the PS plus free games without the original account, check out cdkeys for cheap PS plus, but wait for games that you want on PS plus to be free or for it to run out.

Nice, ok thanks for clearing that up. I won't get banned for using someone else's PS Plus will I? I see a lot of banned consoles for sale on eBay these days.

I guess I will enjoy the free online gaming for now, I'm assuming it will run out soon, surely he was not dumb enougth to buy a year before selling

I got it for £180 btw
MrJinxy

Nice, ok thanks for clearing that up. I won't get banned for using … Nice, ok thanks for clearing that up. I won't get banned for using someone else's PS Plus will I? I see a lot of banned consoles for sale on eBay these days. I guess I will enjoy the free online gaming for now, I'm assuming it will run out soon, surely he was not dumb enougth to buy a year before selling :)I got it for £180 btw

​might be they did a 14 day trial, 1/3/12 months, I can't imagine you being banned, nothings happened with mine or my friends ps4, even if its a year, it might be worth getting your own, you can get it for about £30 ish, remember to go online and get the ps3 and vita games for free, even if you don't have those consoles, you might pick up a cheap one in a year or two and you will have an "instant game collection"
also £180 sounds good, congrats.
Original Poster
eternaldragonuk

​might be they did a 14 day trial, 1/3/12 months, I can't imagine you b … ​might be they did a 14 day trial, 1/3/12 months, I can't imagine you being banned, nothings happened with mine or my friends ps4, even if its a year, it might be worth getting your own, you can get it for about £30 ish, remember to go online and get the ps3 and vita games for free, even if you don't have those consoles, you might pick up a cheap one in a year or two and you will have an "instant game collection"

Thanks. Didn't think that about the PS3 games. How do you buy those without a PS3, do you have to go online with a computer?
Original Poster
eternaldragonuk

​might be they did a 14 day trial, 1/3/12 months, I can't imagine you b … ​might be they did a 14 day trial, 1/3/12 months, I can't imagine you being banned, nothings happened with mine or my friends ps4, even if its a year, it might be worth getting your own, you can get it for about £30 ish, remember to go online and get the ps3 and vita games for free, even if you don't have those consoles, you might pick up a cheap one in a year or two and you will have an "instant game collection"

Also PS Plus for £30'ish where's that?
MrJinxy

​yeah, just use psn website.
MrJinxy

​us PS plus cdkeys.com/pla…ode £31 the 5% off with Facebook code, games are cheaper on us psn store.
MrJinxy

​or £35 at cdkeys for UK when in stock.
I bought my PS4 around November 2015. I have never signed up for the free trial and I've been able to play online for every game (bf/cod/gta/e.c.t). It is now March 2017 and I still can play online. I have checked on many occasions that I don't have PS+
Also, before I bought this console it was a display model, so I doubt anyone had signed into it before let alone bought a membership. Perhaps it's just such an old model, it missed out on the PS+ enforcement?
Wrong actually i havent had psn at all never bought it on my account i can play any game o want to online just so long as i dont get the psn and them loose it for a like a sortage of funds or something it would not let you play. I play online every single day for free.
yeah happened with me too, but unfortunately it ended last week i was going to play online and i got the message saying i had to buy ps plus... but it lasted for like 7 months.
Edited by: "goldd3vil" 20th May 2017
Is it beacouse in some games the owner rund it at their own servers and some run it on Sonys servers?
I bought a new (secondhand) ps4 2 months ago and haven't had PS plus since last year there's no other accounts on the console but I can still play online on GTA, battlefield, cod, dragon age, trials, saints row, it had been reset back to factory defaults, so I'm just enjoying it while I can I'd love to know what's going on but don't want to ask Sony and risk it getting stopped
I brought a pre owned ps4 early this year and i could play online for about 2 months then it just stopped,but 2 days ago i could play online games again,why
p.s. all i could do was play online,not use any other ps+ features
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions