PS4 Pro to Sell or Not to Sell....

Posted 21st Jun 2020Edited by:"HenBogan"
Hi All,

I have always enjoyed reading the discussions and opinions on here so I thought it would be a good place to ask....

So I am considering selling my PS4 Pro and wondered if it would be a good time to sell now or hold out until Christmas??

The reason being; I am considering jumping ship to either the Xbox Series X or a gaming laptop. This isn't about bashing the PS5, I just fancy a change tbh.

Which leads me to my second question.

I am wondering what I would have to layout, pound notes, on a laptop to compete with the new Xbox and how long would, said laptop, last in terms of life span. Assuming the Xbox comes in around £450/500.

I know it's all subjective, in terms of games played etc, I enjoy everything from Warzone to Persona 5.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I would say sell now because ps5 will be out by December and will be the item everyone wants, plus value of ps4 will go down... i am also similar to you i plan to go over to PC gaming. I like the idea of the project and being able to upgrade as and when. Plus it having more games and use for other things like streaming, browsing, work etc. Not to mention they look insane
Edited by: "D3LL80Y" 21st Jun
All second hand consoles have been artificially high recently due to Covid.
For example, I sold a Wii and games I bought from a charity shop at Christmas. Paid £10 sold during covid on ebay for £65.

I'd say you have missed the boat, but with the rise of Warzone, probably not.

Normally when a new console comes on the market, the market gets hammered and prices drop, so if I was selling, I would sell now.

Only if you can live without it in the short term (Something I could not).

I'll be getting a series X on launch. My concerns about PC is the cost, if a desktop, I'd be upgrading constantly, I'd spend a fortune.

Console works well for me, under the TV, just press a button and away you go.

I've had xbox and PS over the years and prefer the xbox, but that's just me. I'm pretty much tied in with my account now woth purchases etc. I won't switch. I also think Microsoft have learnt a lot about hardware design over the years. The series X is very clever with cooling and one larger efficient fan that will be quieter and less prone to dust/fluff buildup.

Games, I'm only really playing Fortnite and Warzone at the moment.

For a next gen console beating gaming laptop, I think you are looking at around £1200 if buying today, maybe more based on next gen specs.

Whatever you do, enjoy gaming.
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 21st Jun
I’m selling mine now currently on eBay on auction. It’s at £210 with a couple of days left...
I dont care, but why would you out of the only console to actually show real gameplay, exclusives and 'Demon Souls', woudl you then decide to swap to the competitor that hasn't shown anything really?
I'll be getting a PS5 on launch in November. I'll be selling mine after i get my new console, no worries about price as it only cost £180 after i sold the controller and game (death stranding) and limited editions generally get better prices. You'll pay far more for a gaming laptop to compete with either of the new consoles, £1500 - £2000.
Edited by: "Azwipe" 21st Jun
Been toying the idea too checking out cex music magpie and game for what I would possibly get cash/trade and cash wise looking at just over 200 trade slightly more but what I’m hoping for is game usual offer of 25% more on trade ins if you pre order a game/console
Thanks for the responses guys....

I do tend to think now maybe a great time to sell; I've been mulling over selling for a few weeks and as I thought there have been some great ideas and comments, so thanks.

Also I did buy mine when the Tesco glitch happened a year ago or so; I should easily get the money back that I paid for it..

I have sat on pondered a little more this morning and as Azwipe and Chiptivo have said I would expect to pay considerably more to go down the laptop route; which I expected. So maybe a desktop is an option but then again I don't really want a desk and monitor. More food for thought.

Good point Mr Sprkle; but I think part of me just fancies a change tbh, I have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about my PS4.

Now can I live without it.... (PS4) for 4/5 months
If you will definitely sell, the sooner the better. You are catching the tail end of the lockdown price surge, and the sooner the PS5 arrives, the less people will be willing to pay for previous model.

And please don't consider a gaming laptop as an alternative to a console, two different ballgames.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 21st Jun
sohailh198421/06/2020 11:26

I’m selling mine now currently on eBay on auction. It’s at £210 with a coup …I’m selling mine now currently on eBay on auction. It’s at £210 with a couple of days left...

Tell us how much u get at the end
About a month too late I’d say
Jump_Out_Gang21/06/2020 14:10

Defo not - sell it ASAP with £1 listing ending today - mines on auction right now and at £235 currently bidding
Sell
sohailh198421/06/2020 15:03

Defo not - sell it ASAP with £1 listing ending today - mines on auction …Defo not - sell it ASAP with £1 listing ending today - mines on auction right now and at £235 currently bidding

I wish I’d ditched mine when cex were paying 290 is what I should have said
gaming laptop you are looking at min £1000 and that wont be anywhere near as good as console you will be looking at doubleing that.

but if you are going to sell i'd do it now prices will only get lower.
i looked into selling one of my xbox one 500gb the other week and cex were offer £128, this week £104.. not that you always get those prices.
Jump_Out_Gang21/06/2020 14:10

I would have said that also, but looking at prices I was wrong.

There is an upsurge of youngsters who do not have jobs anymore and are loving Warzone as it costs nothing.
I know quite a few who have played at friends and are now buying second hand PS4's just to play online with there mates. Also xboxs.

Prices are holding at the moment, pretty strong.
It's mad that people who got one with the Tesco deal over a year ago and have used it for a year could actually make a profit if sold today.
Bargainhead21/06/2020 15:47

gaming laptop you are looking at min £1000 and that wont be anywhere near …gaming laptop you are looking at min £1000 and that wont be anywhere near as good as console you will be looking at doubleing that. but if you are going to sell i'd do it now prices will only get lower. i looked into selling one of my xbox one 500gb the other week and cex were offer £128, this week £104.. not that you always get those prices.

Thanks Bargin,

This is exactly the info I was looking for.
Post a comment
@
    Text