PS4 Slim Stripped HDD Screw

Posted 26th Oct
Hi,
Just came to remove my PS4 HDD from the caddy, however the screw you take out to release the drive is severely stripped and I've tried for an hour to get it out!
The rubber band trick isn't working and it seems completely stuck.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

38 Comments
There are lots of tips online of how to remove a stripped screw, you've probably already tried a few methods like the rubber band, duct take, etc. Your best bet might be to try using a stripped screw extractor kit, you can pick them up from Amazon or Screwfix. I had a stripped screw on my kitchen mixer tap recently and I ended up just carefully drilling in to it with a small metal drill bit which did the job. I've not tried the super glue method mentioned here but it could be something to bear in mind.

ifixit.com/Gui…213
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 26th Oct
superglue
use a dremel if you have it, to scribe a new slot in the screw if you can, then use a straight driver to remove it.
otherwise a nail file or similar if you are desperate to do the same thing.

or

sometimes if you can tighten the screw slightly then remove it this works, seems to free it from its stuck position.
Edited by: "Johnross1983" 26th Oct
esar26/10/2019 21:55

superglue

That's what a mobile repair guy tried on mind when he tried.
It's no use. I've tried everything. It's completely jammed.
Can you get at the edge of the screw, even a tiny bit? If so you could maybe get a pair of needle nose mole grips onto it. They’re locking pliers by the way, in case anyone was wondering!
Edited by: "Diggsy" 26th Oct
superfreddy26/10/2019 22:16

drill it out it’ll come out quite easy just take your time with it
Diggsy26/10/2019 22:20

Can you get at the edge of the screw, even a tiny bit? If so you could …Can you get at the edge of the screw, even a tiny bit? If so you could maybe get a pair of needle nose mole grips onto it. They’re locking pliers by the way, in case anyone was wondering!

Nope. I've tried a flathead too. It won't budge at all.
superfreddy26/10/2019 22:16

you have tried everything? in op you mentioned rubber band but nowt else
so you have also now tried ll the other methods listed here? quick work if nothing else
superfreddy26/10/2019 22:22

Nope. I've tried a flathead too. It won't budge at all.

Can you get a Torx bit at it?

Can you take a photo of it so we can see what you’re dealing with?
38790913-6PQOh.jpg
I've tried stuff that's been suggested but I really don't want to take a drill to it!
superfreddy26/10/2019 22:28

I've tried stuff that's been suggested but I really don't want to take a …I've tried stuff that's been suggested but I really don't want to take a drill to it!

What have you actually tried? You've given it a go with a rubber band as you said in your first post. Have you tried the superglue? Have you tried making a slot in the screw with a rotary tool? Well if you haven't then you can't say that you've "tried everything". If you don't want to drill in to it yourself then just take it to a mobile phone repair place and pay someone to get the screw out for you using one of the methods we've mentioned above.
This video details things to try too, a lot of what has already been suggested...

...assuming it was either Torx or Allen key, then you could possibly use a Torx bit a size larger and hammer it in.

In fact even if it was a Phillips, then you’ve rounded it so much you still might be able to try the Torx trick
I'm looking at your picture, you should be able to get a needle nose pliers in there
All I ever do when in your situation is use a small metal scribe to slowly and carefully etch a new "slot" into the top of the screwhead. Then a slotted screwdriver usually does the trick.

To add a bit of pressure; like an impact driver; get another pair of hands to hold the unit (put unit on a cushion to provide damage protection) and then use a gentle tapping motion on the screwdriver - at the same time gently twist the handle in the proper direction. You need to do this motion simultaneously - i.e. twist at the EXACT moment of striking the screwdriver head. Only gentle taps mind!
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 27th Oct
Phsycronix26/10/2019 23:17

All I ever do when in your situation is use a small metal scribe to slowly …All I ever do when in your situation is use a small metal scribe to slowly and carefully etch a new "slot" into the top of the screwhead. Then a slotted screwdriver usually does the trick.To add a bit of pressure; like a stud extractor; get another pair of hands to hold the unit (put unit on a cushion to provide damage protection) and then use a gentle tapping motion on the screwdriver - at the same time gently twist the handle in the proper direction. You need to do this motion simultaneously - i.e. twist at the EXACT moment of striking the screwdriver head. Only gentle taps mind!

Do you mean pretty much scratch a line across the screw, then use a flathead to unscrew it?

Won't I be there all night etching a deep line into it?
superfreddy26/10/2019 23:26

Do you mean pretty much scratch a line across the screw, then use a …Do you mean pretty much scratch a line across the screw, then use a flathead to unscrew it?Won't I be there all night etching a deep line into it?

Yes, exactly that and, no - these screws aren't usually high-grade steel! They can be worked on in no time. I use a bradawl or I have on occasion (if there's room) used a hacksaw blade that I've adapted by snapping it. You could probably do it with the pointy end of a decent pair of scissors to be fair. Just take it easy, stay in the same "groove" repeatedly until you think it's deep enough for the blade of the flathead to stay firmly in. If it's not deep enough, you run the risk of the blade 'slipping' out and then you're back to scribing out again! Hehe.

I hope you can solve the issue SF. All the best.
Just a thought - is the outer section of the screw a spacer? If so, can you maybe grab it?
Diggsy27/10/2019 20:03

Just a thought - is the outer section of the screw a spacer? If so, can …Just a thought - is the outer section of the screw a spacer? If so, can you maybe grab it?

Said similar myself, looks like it could be either a washer or the whole screw itself
esar27/10/2019 22:54

Said similar myself, looks like it could be either a washer or the whole …Said similar myself, looks like it could be either a washer or the whole screw itself

Yep it does look like it
Here's a screen grab from a video on YouTube, showing the screw as it is undamaged, a needle nose pliers should be able to grab it around the edge
38807574-Zz7gD.jpgAnd the video I grabbed it from
esar27/10/2019 23:02

Here's a screen grab from a video on YouTube, showing the screw as it is …Here's a screen grab from a video on YouTube, showing the screw as it is undamaged, a needle nose pliers should be able to grab it around the edge[Image] And the video I grabbed it from[Video]

Looking at that it can absolutely be got with needle nose grips
Diggsy27/10/2019 23:07

Looking at that it can absolutely be got with needle nose grips

Or maybe, just maybe a tweezers with something to provide a bit of friction around the edge!
Doubt you’d get enough purchase on it to loosen it with tweezers
I did try tweezers. No luck. Would needle nose grips be able to? If so, can you link me to a cheap pair please?
Edited by: "superfreddy" 27th Oct
superfreddy27/10/2019 23:31

I did try tweezers. No luck. Would needle nose grips be able to? If so, …I did try tweezers. No luck. Would needle nose grips be able to? If so, can you link me to a cheap pair please?

Did you use an elastic band around the edge for traction?
esar27/10/2019 23:51

Did you use an elastic band around the edge for traction?

No, but tweezers won't be strong enough for a screw which is tightly screwed into the fitting.
superfreddy27/10/2019 23:52

No, but tweezers won't be strong enough for a screw which is tightly …No, but tweezers won't be strong enough for a screw which is tightly screwed into the fitting.

Ah, so you're assuming!
The tweezers need to apply a sidewards force, and that screw is quite wide, the elastic band should give you traction (can also depend on the type of tweezers though)
As for needle nose pliers, try Poundland or Wilko etc)
esar27/10/2019 23:59

Ah, so you're assuming!The tweezers need to apply a sidewards force, and …Ah, so you're assuming!The tweezers need to apply a sidewards force, and that screw is quite wide, the elastic band should give you traction (can also depend on the type of tweezers though)As for needle nose pliers, try Poundland or Wilko etc)

I'll have a go tomorrow but I'm loosing hope. Thanks.
Needle nose locking pliers should do the trick. Just make sure they’re locking, as they can get you the most purchase on it
Any luck mucca?
esar30/10/2019 16:50

Any luck mucca?

No I've given up really.
superfreddy30/10/2019 17:01

No I've given up really.

You could try using a small screwdriver like a chisel as the square triangle circle and X logo appears to be raised on the screw face.
They might be helpful (the logo's) in drilling a tiny hole for you to get the corner of a tiny screwdriver into it and hammer the screw anticlockwise.
esar30/10/2019 23:45

You could try using a small screwdriver like a chisel as the square …You could try using a small screwdriver like a chisel as the square triangle circle and X logo appears to be raised on the screw face.They might be helpful (the logo's) in drilling a tiny hole for you to get the corner of a tiny screwdriver into it and hammer the screw anticlockwise.

The thing is, it's a PS4. I don't want to be hammering around it.

I tried 'cutting' a notch as suggested but I get no where except a scratch.
superfreddy31/10/2019 00:02

The thing is, it's a PS4. I don't want to be hammering around it.I tried …The thing is, it's a PS4. I don't want to be hammering around it.I tried 'cutting' a notch as suggested but I get no where except a scratch.

Hammering as in lightly tapping the end of the screwdriver with something like a large socket or something or maybe just the palm of your hand!
esar31/10/2019 00:14

Hammering as in lightly tapping the end of the screwdriver with something …Hammering as in lightly tapping the end of the screwdriver with something like a large socket or something or maybe just the palm of your hand!

I think I'll have to take the warranty sticker off, and then take the bottom off so I have more room to work with it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants