Groups

PS4 Update 4.50 - Is buying digital make more sense now?

Was just watching the introduction given by PS Access about the new update and it's features and I felt having digital copies now makes more sense. What are your thoughts?

youtu.be/FhV…kiE

(To dear trolls: this is not a click bait video, everyone knows PS Access channel)

55 Comments

Hmm yeah its a bit better but tbh it wasnt that difficult to upgrade the storage before the update anyways. I think the cool advantage now though is being able to take digital games to someone elses ps4.

Original Poster

Gamerofgames

Hmm yeah its a bit better but tbh it wasnt that difficult to upgrade the … Hmm yeah its a bit better but tbh it wasnt that difficult to upgrade the storage before the update anyways. I think the cool advantage now though is being able to take digital games to someone elses ps4.

That's exactly what I thought. You can have your games with you to your mates and login using your psn id on theirs and play!

mixmixi

That's exactly what I thought. You can have your games with you to your … That's exactly what I thought. You can have your games with you to your mates and login using your psn id on theirs and play!

Yeah it will be really useful to me as well cause i have some friends abroad with kinda crappy internet. Ill be able to show them my digital games for a change without taking my ps4 with me.

No. Did the video suggest the new features would be specific to digitally downloaded content?

Original Poster

misa426

No. Did the video suggest the new features would be specific to digitally … No. Did the video suggest the new features would be specific to digitally downloaded content?

Good point. I guess not. But digital contents are supported by this new feature, aren't they?

Banned

Oh stop being so bloody sensitive you tart

You can have a data centre of storage hooked up to your PS4, but still boils down to:

1. The speed of your internet connection

2. The price of games vs retail

I personally have a 76mb connection, which is fine for me and downloading a large file sized game.

PrIces are never going to be discounted if you want day 1. However if you want to play the long game, there can be some good discounts made even better with discounted credit from places like CD Keys. Also setting up US and Canadian accounts also help, they have good flash sales and again credit can be purchased for a discount.

If I start buying digital for my PS4 will I be able to play these games in the future on the PS5, PS6? At least with Steam and Xbox I know I will always have my digital library but with PlayStation I only buy physical games so at least I know I can play them in the future.

dr_spaceman

I...At least with Steam and Xbox...

I'm not sure you know anything with Microsoft.

I think they're both moving towards that kind of platform anyway, it's nailed on. I'll buy physical until it's no longer an option though.

The biggest thing for me is being able to trade in a game after finishing (or before if it is naff!)

If I had kept every single game I had ever bought I wouldn't be able to move in my living room! When CEX sells games from 50p it's easy to re-pick them up if I fancy playing them again.

Physical only here I'm afraid !

Playstation Access makes enjoyable Content they're like old Watchmojo

All depends on when you buy and sell. I remember picking up Deus Ex on PS4 a few months ago shortly after release for £18. Cex will give you £5 now and its £14 on the PS store in the sale. If your clever and buy cheap credit (O2 trick / cd keys) games can cost you alot less digitally, half that if you game share.

Satan_Claws

The biggest thing for me is being able to trade in a game after finishing … The biggest thing for me is being able to trade in a game after finishing (or before if it is naff!)If I had kept every single game I had ever bought I wouldn't be able to move in my living room! When CEX sells games from 50p it's easy to re-pick them up if I fancy playing them again.

imranio

All depends on when you buy and sell. I remember picking up Deus Ex on … All depends on when you buy and sell. I remember picking up Deus Ex on PS4 a few months ago shortly after release for £18. Cex will give you £5 now and its £14 on the PS store in the sale. If your clever and buy cheap credit (O2 trick / cd keys) games can cost you alot less digitally, half that if you game share.

This is how I do it, it's a pretty cheap hobby this way. Breath of the Wild on the Wii U is the first full price game I've bought in years.

Even at full price, if you're through them and can turn them around quickly you can actually make a couple of quid through CEX or whatever. I remember getting one of the Arkham games, getting through it in the release window and actually making £3 on it at CEX.
    Edited by: "Krooner" 11th Mar

I've already gone digital. My recent digital mishap is in the PS4 news thread if your interested. I get the feeling I'm not very welcome.

Though I wasn't trolling, I merely thought the video you posted was **** and a buzz kill.

I really wish I had the patience to actually complete a game enough to warrant selling it. I think overall the best strategy is a rental service, especially for new games. You lose at least 20% as soon as you unwrap the plastic when you buy, then for a week or so it stays at that price. Then gets reduced heavily in comparison month on month.

Krooner

This is how I do it, it's a pretty cheap hobby this way. Breath of the … This is how I do it, it's a pretty cheap hobby this way. Breath of the Wild on the Wii U is the first full price game I've bought in years. Even at full price, if you're through them and can turn them around quickly you can actually make a couple of quid through CEX or whatever. I remember getting one of the Arkham games, getting through it in the release window and actually making £3 on it at CEX.

I haven't clicked the video but can you transfer an external drive across different ps4 consoles and use the games on them? Is that the point of this discussion?

Bure11

I haven't clicked the video but can you transfer an external drive across … I haven't clicked the video but can you transfer an external drive across different ps4 consoles and use the games on them? Is that the point of this discussion?

Yes. You can use your HDD as a portable game centre (a Switch without the screen if you will oO ;)).
    You can use it on any ps4 as long as you log in under your psn id.

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

I've already gone digital. My recent digital mishap is in the PS4 news … I've already gone digital. My recent digital mishap is in the PS4 news thread if your interested. I get the feeling I'm not very welcome.Though I wasn't trolling, I merely thought the video you posted was **** and a buzz kill.

You're always welcome but it's always nicer to not judge people for their opinions. I always watch YouTube and sometimes the videos I watch are what I'd wish to share and discuss with people. No one likes to be called enormous misery just because they're questioning the issues with a product.

Original Poster

Bure11

I haven't clicked the video but can you transfer an external drive across … I haven't clicked the video but can you transfer an external drive across different ps4 consoles and use the games on them? Is that the point of this discussion?

As Andy said!!! It's cool, init? :P

Krooner

I'm not sure you know anything with Microsoft.

You mean 'own' anything with Microsoft? They do appear to be becoming more and more like Steam. Project Scorpio has been confirmed as backwards compatible with 360 and Xbox One so I guess the future looks promising in regards to upgrading to the next Xbox console and being able to hold onto your library of games.

I've been able to do this for years, In fact I have 2 xbox ones and just move my hdd between the consoles because I'm too cheap buy another one.

Or am I missing something?
    Edited by: "theworkingdead" 11th Mar

theworkingdead

I've been able to do this for years, In fact I have 2 xbox ones and just … I've been able to do this for years, In fact I have 2 xbox ones and just move my hdd between the consoles because I'm too cheap buy another one.Or am I missing something?

Well for ps4 this is a new thing basically with external storage and that

dr_spaceman

You mean 'own' anything with Microsoft? They do appear to be becoming … You mean 'own' anything with Microsoft? They do appear to be becoming more and more like Steam. Project Scorpio has been confirmed as backwards compatible with 360 and Xbox One so I guess the future looks promising in regards to upgrading to the next Xbox console and being able to hold onto your library of games.

All of it, they seem to be in flux to me. Not sure they'll do another "proper" console, unless the Scorpio kills.

mixmixi

You're always welcome but it's always nicer to not judge people for their … You're always welcome but it's always nicer to not judge people for their opinions. I always watch YouTube and sometimes the videos I watch are what I'd wish to share and discuss with people. No one likes to be called enormous misery just because they're questioning the issues with a product.

No one like to be told their new shiny thing is a failure a couple of days after release either. It was a reaction to that and I'm quite neutral on Switch, as I am not a Nintendo fan at all. Imagine you were on the other end of that.

You could say you were asking the question, but putting failure in the title and linking it to a monetized source which was unbalanced and designed to inflame really says otherwise. I have to stand by that but...

There wasn't really any malice in my comment, nor did I expect you to take it to heart so much. So if I hurt you I am sorry
    Edited by: "MSK." 11th Mar

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

No one like to be told their new shiny thing is a failure a couple of … No one like to be told their new shiny thing is a failure a couple of days after release either. It was a reaction to that and I'm quite neutral on Switch, as I am not a Nintendo fan at all. Imagine you were on the other end of that.You could say you were asking the question, but putting failure in the title and linking it to a monetized source which was unbalanced and designed to inflame really says otherwise. I have to stand by that but...There wasn't really any malice in my comment, nor did I expect you to take it to heart so much. So if I hurt you I am sorry <3

It wasn't me who was telling that. The complaints with switch is still going on but I don't want to bring that argument here. All I say is I wasn't biased, maybe that way a couple of people were saved for spending their money on the early phases of the Switch project however. Anyway, it's all cool bruh. I'm sorry as well. Now tell us what do you think of digital content? (Psssst, I'm a 100% physical fan )

mixmixi

It wasn't me who was telling that. The complaints with switch is still … It wasn't me who was telling that. The complaints with switch is still going on but I don't want to bring that argument here. All I say is I wasn't biased, maybe that way a couple of people were saved for spending their money on the early phases of the Switch project however. Anyway, it's all cool bruh. I'm sorry as well. Now tell us what do you think of digital content? (Psssst, I'm a 100% physical fan )

I thought so, very nice collection you have too

Well, I was very skeptical at first. I'm very fond of my collection of PS1, 2 and 3 discs. I don't like the idea that games could be taken away by Sony either. But, I have never sold or traded a game I have played. Only ever sold ones bundled with consoles to make some of the price back. So that's my background

But many of the smaller games which are my favorites only come in digital. Then there were some good deals on credit. Then VR came along, which makes you never want to change a disc ever, because you have to re-setup the whole headset to do it. And now I am hooked.

But I had a bit of a reality check last week. I started typing it again, but well, it's a longish story. Here's the link:

hotukdeals.com/mis…997

So I am sort of nervous, with some regrets. But I also hate buying and find space for more shelves for games. So I am conflicted.
    Edited by: "MSK." 12th Mar

i prefer digital because i am simply to lazy to swap games X)

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

I thought so, very nice collection you have too :)Well, I was very … I thought so, very nice collection you have too :)Well, I was very skeptical at first. I'm very fond of my collection of PS1, 2 and 3 discs. I don't like the idea that games could be taken away by Sony either. But, I have never sold or traded a game I have played. Only ever sold ones bundled with consoles to make some of the price back. So that's my background :)But many of the smaller games which are my favorites only come in digital. Then there were some good deals on credit. Then VR came along, which makes you never want to change a disc ever, because you have to re-setup the whole headset to do it. And now I am hooked.But I had a bit of a reality check last week. I started typing it again, but well, it's a longish story. Here's the link:http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/any-ps4-news-here-1700857?p=30130997So I am sort of nervous, with some regrets. But I also hate buying and find space for more shelves for games. So I am conflicted.

That's a crazy experience you've had! Thank god i never invested big money on digital. If I buy a game I want to keep in my house not Sony's servers haha. It just never feels like you're owning the game that way. Also I've heard bad things about chargebacks etc with Sony. You'd lose your life if you do it. So even if there's a similar issue as yours, you technically should accept the loss for the sake of good. It's just sad!

mixmixi

That's a crazy experience you've had! Thank god i never invested big … That's a crazy experience you've had! Thank god i never invested big money on digital. If I buy a game I want to keep in my house not Sony's servers haha. It just never feels like you're owning the game that way. Also I've heard bad things about chargebacks etc with Sony. You'd lose your life if you do it. So even if there's a similar issue as yours, you technically should accept the loss for the sake of good. It's just sad!

It was a bit off putting to say the least! But what can I do? Very few VR game have discs and I'm in pretty deep now.

Sometimes I wonder if buying digital will mean there is forwards compatibility, but that's wishful thinking probably. Will PS5 have a disc drive? Many new computers don't. Pro didn't have a 4k Blu-ray drive. I don't know.

The best example of digital gone wrong is the PSP Go. It was digital only and Sony turned off the store after it failed leaving me and other Go owners screwed!

I went digital for pretty much all my XB1 purchases, I have since gone back on that a bit, but I am gogin to stick to switch being all physical, unless digital is the only choice.

haritori

I went digital for pretty much all my XB1 purchases, I have since gone … I went digital for pretty much all my XB1 purchases, I have since gone back on that a bit, but I am gogin to stick to switch being all physical, unless digital is the only choice.

Where to begin with Nintendo when it comes to digital and user accounts?!

dr_spaceman

The best example of digital gone wrong is the PSP Go. It was digital only … The best example of digital gone wrong is the PSP Go. It was digital only and Sony turned off the store after it failed leaving me and other Go owners screwed!

When the store was turned off, did any previously downloaded games still work or were they deactivated?

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

It was a bit off putting to say the least! But what can I do? Very few … It was a bit off putting to say the least! But what can I do? Very few VR game have discs and I'm in pretty deep now.Sometimes I wonder if buying digital will mean there is forwards compatibility, but that's wishful thinking probably. Will PS5 have a disc drive? Many new computers don't. Pro didn't have a 4k Blu-ray drive. I don't know.

Although I very much wish what you say comes true but I'd be very sceptical with Sony and forward compatibility. They've proven to everyone they'd never want to repeat the short-life span experience of backward compatibility that some PS2 and PS3s had. They can milk us easily so they've been always looking for the best way. If that was Microsoft I'd trust them more in terms of buying digital but with Sony no. And this is coming from a Sony fanboy!

moneysavingkitten

When the store was turned off, did any previously downloaded games still … When the store was turned off, did any previously downloaded games still work or were they deactivated?

I can still play the games I have downloaded but I must have about 10 games at the most. I know it could be worse, there are probably Go owners out there that purchased the handheld the day before the store was turned off!

mixmixi

Although I very much wish what you say comes true but I'd be very … Although I very much wish what you say comes true but I'd be very sceptical with Sony and forward compatibility. They've proven to everyone they'd never want to repeat the short-life span experience of backward compatibility that some PS2 and PS3s had. They can milk us easily so they've been always looking for the best way. If that was Microsoft I'd trust them more in terms of buying digital but with Sony no. And this is coming from a Sony fanboy!

Come on over to the darkside! We have Halo and cookies

dr_spaceman

I can still play the games I have downloaded but I must have about 10 … I can still play the games I have downloaded but I must have about 10 games at the most. I know it could be worse, there are probably Go owners out there that purchased the handheld the day before the store was turned off!

If you can put games on an external hard drive now on PS4, I'm almost wondering if that could be an advantage. If I have a physical disc, I only have one copy. If I have them on a hard drive I can have as many copies as I like. If they don't nuke them.

Obviously still better they never close the store at all! And wouldn't work for PSP or Vita, because the cards are so expensive.
    Edited by: "MSK." 12th Mar

moneysavingkitten

If you can put games on an external hard drive now on PS4, I'm almost … If you can put games on an external hard drive now on PS4, I'm almost wondering if that could be an advantage. If I have a physical disc, I only have one copy. If I have them on a hard drive I can have as many copies as I like. If they don't nuke them.Obviously still better they never close the store at all! And wouldn't work for PSP or Vita, because the cards are so expensive.

I really wish I had got the Vita instead of the PSP Go. I cannot remember the release year for both handhelds but I did get the Go towards the end, reason I had so few games downloaded.

dr_spaceman

I really wish I had got the Vita instead of the PSP Go. I cannot remember … I really wish I had got the Vita instead of the PSP Go. I cannot remember the release year for both handhelds but I did get the Go towards the end, reason I had so few games downloaded.

3 years between them by the looks of things, so a reasonable wait. 7 years between Vita and the original! I was never a fan of the Go. I had a launch PSP so was outraged when they did away with the UMD.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.11
      2. One for the mathmeticians1930
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767425
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876401

See more discussions