Ps4 vs Xbox 1

Posted 26th Oct
Hi everyone, my 9 year old son wants a new console for Christmas, he says he doesn't care which one. I have no idea what's what with technology so was hoping to get some advice from people on here. Which should I go for Play station 4 or Xbox one?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Whatever his friends have if planning to play online, otherwise both are great for what they do
53 Comments
Playstation all day (better games)
I generally prefer playstation consoles, but for a 9 year old would get an xbox because of gamepass ultimate, big collection of games with subscription, can usually find deals on here for that
Whatever his friends have if planning to play online, otherwise both are great for what they do
What type of games does your son want to play?

Does he have any friends with a console that play online (might want to look at getting the same console so he can join in online).

What about a Switch??
Xbox and a game pass subscription
Get which ever his friends are mainly on
Xbox with a game pass subscription. Great value for money especially for new gamers
psychedelicrenegade26/10/2019 15:40

What type of games does your son want to play?Does he have any friends …What type of games does your son want to play?Does he have any friends with a console that play online (might want to look at getting the same console so he can join in online).What about a Switch??

His friends mainly have a play stations from what he tells me. He wouldn't be playing online, I dont think hes old enough to have that opened up to him yet. We did consider the switch because he wanted the pokemon game but my husband isn't sold on it and would prefer to get a more traditional console. My son like football games, lego games and would like to get fortnight.
Annam201126/10/2019 15:54

His friends mainly have a play stations from what he tells me. He wouldn't …His friends mainly have a play stations from what he tells me. He wouldn't be playing online, I dont think hes old enough to have that opened up to him yet. We did consider the switch because he wanted the pokemon game but my husband isn't sold on it and would prefer to get a more traditional console. My son like football games, lego games and would like to get fortnight.

Fortnite would be for online gaming. Sounds like a ps4 is the way to go in the long run if his friends have it.
Byno26/10/2019 15:38

Whatever his friends have if planning to play online, otherwise both are …Whatever his friends have if planning to play online, otherwise both are great for what they do

Definitely this, ask him to check what his friends have or he will not be able to borrow games or play together with them too easily.
PS4 Pro all day long. Owned both
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 26th Oct
Get a SEGA Mega Drive with FIFA 95, a box of Lego and give him 2 weeks to play
Wait for Black Friday. They’re gonna be dropping to under £150ish. Or wait until next year for the PS5 and next Xbox
ehsan.tariq26/10/2019 16:05

Wait for Black Friday. They’re gonna be dropping to under £150ish. Or wait …Wait for Black Friday. They’re gonna be dropping to under £150ish. Or wait until next year for the PS5 and next Xbox

PS4 though if I had to choose lol
Xbox for game pass alone, so many games!!
JohnnyRoller26/10/2019 15:59

Get a SEGA Mega Drive with FIFA 95, a box of Lego and give him 2 weeks to …Get a SEGA Mega Drive with FIFA 95, a box of Lego and give him 2 weeks to play

My son loves lego and would be very happy with that but unfortunately all the boys at school talk about gaming and hes getting left behind
WorKev26/10/2019 16:05

I dont even know what that is but it sounds like it sometimes mu son would like
Playstation definitely. If hes not in a rush and wants it for Christmas then hold out till black Friday. Will definitely be sub 150ish
ehsan.tariq26/10/2019 16:05

Wait for Black Friday. They’re gonna be dropping to under £150ish. Or wait …Wait for Black Friday. They’re gonna be dropping to under £150ish. Or wait until next year for the PS5 and next Xbox

From what I have seen xbox one's are cheaper than play stations. Fingers crossed for a good black Friday deal
WorKev26/10/2019 16:05

PS4 has a pass lol
Raheel710226/10/2019 16:12

Playstation definitely. If hes not in a rush and wants it for Christmas …Playstation definitely. If hes not in a rush and wants it for Christmas then hold out till black Friday. Will definitely be sub 150ish

It's for Christmas so I've got time to wait for a good deal. Thanks
Annam201126/10/2019 16:13

From what I have seen xbox one's are cheaper than play stations. Fingers …From what I have seen xbox one's are cheaper than play stations. Fingers crossed for a good black Friday deal

Depends which one tbh. Xbox one x are a more expensive compared to a ps4 pro. You might not need a pro unless you want 4k so a slim would suffice
Simphee2926/10/2019 16:09

PS4 has a pass lol

Cool I just think the Xbox game pass is better value
Annam201126/10/2019 16:15

It's for Christmas so I've got time to wait for a good deal. Thanks

Wait for black Friday
Big Disney fan?

PS4 with all the kingdom hearts games 😋
Me and my son just finished them all and are awaiting the kh3 add-on
Annam201126/10/2019 16:10

My son loves lego and would be very happy with that but unfortunately all …My son loves lego and would be very happy with that but unfortunately all the boys at school talk about gaming and hes getting left behind

Lol, on a serious note I would get him an Xbox One. PS4 is good for exclusives, but mainly for the older teens/adults. With the Xbox One you could get a years worth of Game Pass Ultimate for £30 odd, which means a constant supply of games to play without the extra expenses throughout the year. Xbox has all the games that the kids nowadays play, so he’ll be well happy. Also there are always much better deals on Xbox One consoles.
DaThetopdog26/10/2019 16:20

Big Disney fan?PS4 with all the kingdom hearts games 😋Me and my son …Big Disney fan?PS4 with all the kingdom hearts games 😋Me and my son just finished them all and are awaiting the kh3 add-on

We have been to Disneyland Paris twice in the last 3 years. He loves Disney!!!
I have the Xbox one, PS4 and Nintendo Switch and I think the best one to get is probably the PS4.
JohnnyRoller26/10/2019 16:21

Lol, on a serious note I would get him an Xbox One. PS4 is good for …Lol, on a serious note I would get him an Xbox One. PS4 is good for exclusives, but mainly for the older teens/adults. With the Xbox One you could get a years worth of Game Pass Ultimate for £30 odd, which means a constant supply of games to play without the extra expenses throughout the year. Xbox has all the games that the kids nowadays play, so he’ll be well happy. Also there are always much better deals on Xbox One consoles.

Thank you. I have seen some really good bundle deals for the xbox one but didn't know if that meant the ps4 would be better for the extra money.
JohnnyRoller26/10/2019 16:21

Lol, on a serious note I would get him an Xbox One. PS4 is good for …Lol, on a serious note I would get him an Xbox One. PS4 is good for exclusives, but mainly for the older teens/adults. With the Xbox One you could get a years worth of Game Pass Ultimate for £30 odd, which means a constant supply of games to play without the extra expenses throughout the year. Xbox has all the games that the kids nowadays play, so he’ll be well happy. Also there are always much better deals on Xbox One consoles.

Isn’t the game pass £7.99 a month ?
Annam201126/10/2019 16:25

Thank you. I have seen some really good bundle deals for the xbox one but …Thank you. I have seen some really good bundle deals for the xbox one but didn't know if that meant the ps4 would be better for the extra money.

For the record I speak from having 2 boys slightly younger and older than yours. Many of these members are speaking from their own personal preference (adult children at heart ). This subject is always going to cause the arguments you see, but they are ignoring the “9 year old” part of the equation. I don’t play computers but I buy for my kids, and I just monitor what they play and how long for. Nintendo Switch wins hands down in my house, great if you have more than 1 child as it frees up the TV when needed in handheld mode. Next best is the Xbox One, everything else is just left to gather dust.
Simphee2926/10/2019 16:25

Isn’t the game pass £7.99 a month ?

If the OP is buying a new Xbox One, it means a brand new profile. You can buy a years Xbox Live for around the £30 mark and then apply the £1 for 1 months Game Pass Ultimate to convert it all across and have 13-14 months worth.
Definitely get an Xbox One with a subscription to Game Pass and EA Access as this means you will never have to buy any games. Those 2 subscriptions will give him close to 500 games with new additions added every month, basically the Netflix of gaming.

Also Microsoft owns more game studios than Sony meaning it will have a bigger selection of games that will be unavailable on the PlayStation. The most exciting thing is Microsoft adds all these games to Xbox Game Pass on release meaning you are not having to pay 50 quid for them. Incredible value!

Xbox One is also backwards compatible which PS4 is not. This means you can play old games from the Xbox library dating back almost 20 years. Basically Microsoft with Xbox is a more consumer friendly company with better services and a bigger library of games.
.Yoshi.26/10/2019 16:44

Definitely get an Xbox One with a subscription to Game Pass and EA Access …Definitely get an Xbox One with a subscription to Game Pass and EA Access as this means you will never have to buy any games. Those 2 subscriptions will give him close to 500 games with new additions added every month, basically the Netflix of gaming.Also Microsoft owns more game studios than Sony meaning it will have a bigger selection of games that will be unavailable on the PlayStation. The most exciting thing is Microsoft adds all these games to Xbox Game Pass on release meaning you are not having to pay 50 quid for them. Incredible value!Xbox One is also backwards compatible which PS4 is not. This means you can play old games from the Xbox library dating back almost 20 years. Basically Microsoft with Xbox is a more consumer friendly company with better services and a bigger library of games.

This is really helpful information thank you. My son loves his xbox 360 games so it means he should be able to continue playing them.
Has anyone yet mentioned the free games you get each month with an XBox Live subscription? That's got to be worth something to a parent as it keeps the child with a constant supply of something new to play?

Mind you, if you want to keep them away from online play, maybe that's off the table?
I wouldn’t bother with the new consoles and games if you’re not ready to let him loose on the internet. I spent £100 on eBay for a Nintendo wii + 25 games. All of them are amazing and have high resale value to CEX.
PS4 games and Xbox one games have low resale price because they can’t be shared. Correct me if Im wrong anyone.
Edited by: "Jelly.Bean" 26th Oct
Just be aware OP that the new Xbox and PlayStation are coming out Christmas 2020. They will be expensive for the first few years so plenty of gamers will be sticking with the current consoles. Also speaking of Disney there is an exclusive game to Xbox that might be of interest...

38785372-JJbHZ.jpg
If he likes racing games Xbox. Everything else PS4.
Annam201126/10/2019 15:54

His friends mainly have a play stations from what he tells me. He wouldn't …His friends mainly have a play stations from what he tells me. He wouldn't be playing online, I dont think hes old enough to have that opened up to him yet. We did consider the switch because he wanted the pokemon game but my husband isn't sold on it and would prefer to get a more traditional console. My son like football games, lego games and would like to get fortnight.

Would say the ps4 IMO, for Fortnite that would be played online so he could play with his friends. Does your husband also want to use it?

I think there's more choice available games-wise for the ps4 and with black Friday approaching you should be able to get one for around £150, it's also a system he can grow into as he gets older with different games.

Personally the switch is good for exclusives (Mario, Pokemon etc) and the portability, but for FIFA/Lego/Fortnite you're better off playing them on an Xbox/PS4, he can play with his friends and game prices drop quicker on those compared with the switch.

I'm lucky enough to have all 3 but if I could only have 1 it would be the PS4.

Hope this helps
oli_1_uk26/10/2019 19:01

Would say the ps4 IMO, for Fortnite that would be played online so he …Would say the ps4 IMO, for Fortnite that would be played online so he could play with his friends. Does your husband also want to use it?I think there's more choice available games-wise for the ps4 and with black Friday approaching you should be able to get one for around £150, it's also a system he can grow into as he gets older with different games.Personally the switch is good for exclusives (Mario, Pokemon etc) and the portability, but for FIFA/Lego/Fortnite you're better off playing them on an Xbox/PS4, he can play with his friends and game prices drop quicker on those compared with the switch.I'm lucky enough to have all 3 but if I could only have 1 it would be the PS4.Hope this helps

My husband wont be using it. I will hold out til black Friday then. Thanks for the great advice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants