Posted 1 December 2021

PS5 Extended Warranty?

My 1 year warranty has now ended and I was wondering what others are doing now to protect it?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I know a few that bought another and sold the old one!
    Could always re-familiarise yourself with Consumer Rights Act 2015 over the next five years, unless you live in Scotland.
    creedjp02/12/2021 00:20

I know a few that bought another and sold the old one!

That's what I used to always do with my PS4, think I had about 5 of them. Been looking for a PS5 but no joy, if I can find another I'll just sell mine to keep the warranty, but when I'm read some people are saying the newer version have cheaper parts than the launch console!
    Don't forget you have 2 years with the retailer! My controller died yesterday (2 days out of warranty) Sony would do nothing! But Very, had me get an independent electronic service taken out on the controller and they offered me up to £45 (20% deduction for usage over the one year warranty) to buy a new one and could keep the broken one. This did take some persuasion (edited)
    Author
    Rocknroiia02/12/2021 09:00

Don't forget you have 2 years with the retailer! My controller died …Don't forget you have 2 years with the retailer! My controller died yesterday (2 days out of warranty) Sony would do nothing! But Very, had me get an independent electronic service taken out on the controller and they offered me up to £45 (20% deduction for usage over the one year warranty) to buy a new one and could keep the broken one. This did take some persuasion

Had you used the controller much? Anything over 1 year is likely to be stressful. I bought mine from Amazon
    Rocknroiia02/12/2021 09:00

Don't forget you have 2 years with the retailer! My controller died …Don't forget you have 2 years with the retailer! My controller died yesterday (2 days out of warranty) Sony would do nothing! But Very, had me get an independent electronic service taken out on the controller and they offered me up to £45 (20% deduction for usage over the one year warranty) to buy a new one and could keep the broken one. This did take some persuasion

Statutory (i.e. zero cost) CRA 2015 obligations, as mentioned in post #2, in which case the timeframe to make claim against the retailer is 6 years not 2, with that coincidentally 6-year-old proviso: unless you live in Scotland...
    Author
    AndyRoyd02/12/2021 17:42

Statutory (i.e. zero cost) CRA 2015 obligations, as mentioned in post #2, …Statutory (i.e. zero cost) CRA 2015 obligations, as mentioned in post #2, in which case the timeframe to make claim against the retailer is 6 years not 2, with that coincidentally 6-year-old proviso: unless you live in Scotland...

I can't see Amazon/Sony for filling that after 3 years
    Robloxian02/12/2021 17:48

I can't see Amazon/Sony for filling that after 3 years

Statutory legislation bud, so a trader with a credible presence under jurisdiction of local legislation has to ensure product "quality," "durability" and "fit for purpose," with literally up to 6 years for buyer to file claim (Scotland 5 years) if trader fails to play ball.
    Additionally, if a product over £100 is purchased directly via UK-sourced credit then the credit provider is jointly and severally liable for same consumer obligations over same claim period.
    Author
    AndyRoyd02/12/2021 18:02

Statutory legislation bud, so a trader with a credible presence under …Statutory legislation bud, so a trader with a credible presence under jurisdiction of local legislation has to ensure product "quality," "durability" and "fit for purpose," with literally up to 6 years for buyer to file claim (Scotland 5 years) if trader fails to play ball.Additionally, if a product over £100 is purchased directly via UK-sourced credit then the credit provider is jointly and severally liable for same consumer obligations over same claim period.

So would this be Sony or Amazon I have a dispute with?
    Robloxian02/12/2021 18:03

So would this be Sony or Amazon I have a dispute with?

Any manufacturer warranty is gesture of goodwill and not statutory, but CRA 2015 obligations are statutory and exclusively with the trader.

There was a successful CRA claim example for a 4 year old TV in an earlier PS5 thread here:
    hotukdeals.com/dis…818
's avatar