PSA: Don't upgrade to Expansion Pack if you're a Nintendo Switch Online member

Posted 26th Oct 2021
Hey all

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but it is not financially viable to upgrade if you're on NSO already.

The pro rata discount they offer is 4p a day. However, 17.99/365 is 4.9p so should be rounded to 5p, as an existing member "perk"

This may not sound like much but thats an extra 25% discount. If you have exactly 365 days of NSO remaining, the discount is not 17.99 as it should be, it's 14.60. That's quite a significant difference between the price NSO is meant to cost and the discount offered.

I'm not going to get into the performance issues - they will likely improve - this is purely based on financial, and it's a much better offer for new users than existing.

Hope this helps those on the fence, or those with stacked memberships
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment
8 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Haven't got a clue what this is about. Sounds like Nintendo though.
  2. Avatar
    Author
    PAISAL27/10/2021 00:37

Haven't got a clue what this is about. Sounds like Nintendo though.

Sorry, should have been clearer.

To buy Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion, you have to start a new 12 month deal. To get N64 and Mega Drive games you need the expansion pass.

For any remaining time you have on a normal NSO (without expansion), they will discount the total cost of the new 12 month deal, by 4p per day, however, the actual cost of NSO is as good as 5p per day. 1p may not sound like much but it's 25% more than 4p. In the case of having 365 days remaining, your cost should be £17.00, but it works out more like £20.39
  3. Avatar
    But other places sell subs cheaper like cdkeys, shopto etc
  4. Avatar
    Author
    jco8327/10/2021 01:04

But other places sell subs cheaper like cdkeys, shopto etc

Indeed, but this is the only way to properly have NSO+expansion for the duration of your deal. It also makes the discounts much less effective.. anyone who paid £15 for example at cdk would still be worse off upgrading
  5. Avatar
    On our family pass we're getting 9p per day discount which is more than we paid from cdkeys
  6. Avatar
    Author
    Mark_Hickman27/10/2021 09:18

On our family pass we're getting 9p per day discount which is more than we …On our family pass we're getting 9p per day discount which is more than we paid from cdkeys

Awesome, that's great
  7. Avatar
    chocobogamer27/10/2021 01:06

Indeed, but this is the only way to properly have NSO+expansion for the …Indeed, but this is the only way to properly have NSO+expansion for the duration of your deal. It also makes the discounts much less effective.. anyone who paid £15 for example at cdk would still be worse off upgrading

It's £13.99 atm at cdkeys I think, so a bit better off buying that and immediately upgrading to Expansion Pack than doing it all directly with Nintendo. Also the Family Membership is still £22.49 from cdkeys *now cheaper with this code* so buying that and immediately upgrading would be £.08 × 365 = £29.2 so £51.69 total, a saving of £9.3 over directly buying with Nintendo *buying ×2 can save ~£14
    Edited by: "jco83" 27th Oct 2021
  8. Avatar
    jco8327/10/2021 11:35

It's £13.99 atm at cdkeys I think, so a bit better off buying that and …It's £13.99 atm at cdkeys I think, so a bit better off buying that and immediately upgrading to Expansion Pack than doing it all directly with Nintendo. Also the Family Membership is still £22.49 from cdkeys *now cheaper with this code* so buying that and immediately upgrading would be £.08 × 365 = £29.2 so £51.69 total, a saving of £9.3 over directly buying with Nintendo *buying ×2 can save ~£14

Just looking to upgrade my family membership, is this still the case? Many thanks!
Post a comment
Top Merchants