Groups

PSA: New Breed of Scammers on eBay

Giving everyone a heads up since I am constantly scouring eBay and have come across a new type of scammer on there.

These are quite clever in how they mask themselves but it is rather easy to point them out.

They usually have zero or 1 positive feedback (not always a telltale sign as some honest people are also like this)

They will usually have one or two good buy it now deals, for example Sniper Elite 4 for £15, these are the ones they hope you will fall for but to try to throw you off their scent they will also list other items at average prices like toddler shoes and toys.

They steal photos for their images from other listings, a way to tell is to look at the surrounding areas of the photo for inconsistencies, for example different carpets (with them all being listed at the same time it would seem weird to travel room to room to take photos)

Their usernames have a pattern which is odd as it gives them a way instantly. Their username will usually be *word*slac_0 so for example the latest I came across was sonyslac_0.

I have seen about 10 of these crop up this week but with eBay Money Back Guarantee you have nothing to worry about but I would hate to have these cretin to run away with any money.

If you feel you come across one do report it.

Hope this is okay to post.

Top comments

So what's the scam?

Avoiding low feedback sellers isn't exactly anything new.

treadstone

I only deal with 100% Feedback over 100+ transactions. A cheap deal could … I only deal with 100% Feedback over 100+ transactions. A cheap deal could quite easily turn into a headache. Just ignore them

100% feedback is cutting out alot of sellers who had dodgy buyers, don't follow that advice.
    27 Comments

If they don't have at least 10-20 feedback with written comments stay away would be my advice.

Original Poster

kay1992

If they don't have at least 10-20 feedback with written comments stay … If they don't have at least 10-20 feedback with written comments stay away would be my advice.

​Some have away around that, some have over 20+ feedback with written comments, these type of scammers will usually have the sold items with positive feedback being "iPod charging cables" or something similar.

I only deal with 100% Feedback over 100+ transactions. A cheap deal could quite easily turn into a headache. Just ignore them
    Edited by: "treadstone" 15th Jun

So what's the scam?

Avoiding low feedback sellers isn't exactly anything new.

Welcome to 2008

Original Poster

You guys do know not everyone with a low feedback score is a scammer?

I don't have any carpets in my house.

Does that make me trustworthy, or not?

I thought for new sellers ( or sellers without DSR's) PayPal hold funds until they're sure the buyer is satisfied. (ie left positive feedback)

treadstone

I only deal with 100% Feedback over 100+ transactions. A cheap deal could … I only deal with 100% Feedback over 100+ transactions. A cheap deal could quite easily turn into a headache. Just ignore them

100% feedback is cutting out alot of sellers who had dodgy buyers, don't follow that advice.

Original Poster

fanpages

I don't have any carpets in my house.Does that make me trustworthy, or … I don't have any carpets in my house.Does that make me trustworthy, or not?

​The most untrustworthy of them all!

This was on Watchdog a few years ago. People listing good deals that dont exist, taking the money for items and then letting paypal refund people. Its like an interest free loan for the scammer.

"They will usually have one or two good buy it now deals, for example Sniper Elite 4 for £15"

Sadly, if you fall for that. I have no sympathy for you.

Quick look on eBay shows the average price is almost double.
    So a £15 buy it now is either account sharing copy or a scam.

It's an obvious to good to be true deal, which is usually a scam.
    Edited by: "kos1c" 15th Jun

first check point is ' Item available for considerably less than the average from anywhere else ' e.g Horizon Zero Dawn sealed/new for £10, 8 available? sure!

Usually tends to have ancient feedback if any at all

Not sure if need to start comparing carpeting features in listing pictures :P

So where's the new scam you mention in your OP?

Original Poster

kos1c

"They will usually have one or two good buy it now deals, for example … "They will usually have one or two good buy it now deals, for example Sniper Elite 4 for £15"Sadly, if you fall for that. I have no sympathy for you. Quick look on eBay shows the average price is almost double. So a £15 buy it now is either account sharing copy or a scam. It's an obvious to good to be true deal, which is usually a scam.

​Usually but not always.

I have managed to get new games for £10 in the past, I got Watch Dogs 2 for £12 when first out, some people don't care how much money they get or just accidentally list as buy it now instead of auction but still honour it.

Original Poster

dtovey89

So where's the new scam you mention in your OP?

​The methods they use.
    Edited by: "Robot_Rooster" 15th Jun

Original Poster

I am just trying to help the community considering I constantly see eBay scam posts everytime I log on D:

"As part of the payment process for new eBay sellers, PayPal may hold your PayPal payments from buyers for up to 21 days. eBay and PayPal define new seller accounts as one with less than 90 days since the first successful sale of an item."

pages.ebay.co.uk/hel…tml

fanpages

I don't have any carpets in my house.Does that make me trustworthy, or … I don't have any carpets in my house.Does that make me trustworthy, or not?

Robot_Rooster

The most untrustworthy of them all!

I am so floored by that response I am going to laminate it.

Robot_Rooster

I am just trying to help the community considering I constantly see eBay … I am just trying to help the community considering I constantly see eBay scam posts everytime I log on D:

It's not helpful if you don't say what the scam is. All you have told us is to avoid low feedback sellers.

Is this some type of trolling thread I just don't get what is going on hear. Tells us about a new scam and deflecting every question asking so what's the scam. I know one thing OP would probably make a good politician.

Robot_Rooster

The methods they use.

Which is nothing new.

"If it's too good to be true then it usually is" has been a thing since... forever?

http://i63.tinypic.com/28s4g76.jpg

larrylightweight

Is this some type of trolling thread I just don't get what is going on … Is this some type of trolling thread I just don't get what is going on hear. Tells us about a new scam and deflecting every question asking so what's the scam. I know one thing OP would probably make a good politician.

There's a couple of ladies knocking on peoples doors around here lately, one flashes her boobs for a while then runs off. Next thing I know my wallet, watch, laptop, phone and TV disappeared. Twice they came on Wednesday when I noticed my cooker and fridge simply vanished.

larrylightweight

Is this some type of trolling thread I just don't get what is going on … Is this some type of trolling thread I just don't get what is going on hear. Tells us about a new scam and deflecting every question asking so what's the scam. I know one thing OP would probably make a good politician.

splatsplatsplat

There's a couple of ladies knocking on peoples doors around here lately, … There's a couple of ladies knocking on peoples doors around here lately, one flashes her boobs for a while then runs off. Next thing I know my wallet, watch, laptop, phone and TV disappeared. Twice they came on Wednesday when I noticed my cooker and fridge simply vanished.

A woman is at home when she hears someone knock at the door. She goes to the door & opens it to see a man standing there. He asks the lady, "Do you have a vagina?". She slams the door in disgust.

The next morning she hears a knock at the door & it is the same man. He asks the same question of the woman, "Do you have a vagina?". She slams the door again.

Later that night when her husband gets home she tells him what has happened for the last two days. The husband tells the wife in a loving & concerned voice, "Honey, I am taking tomorrow off to be home just in case this guy shows up again".

The next morning they hear a knock at the door & both run for the door.

The husband says to the wife in a whispered voice, "Honey, I'm going to hide behind the door & listen. If it is the same guy I want you to answer yes to the question because I want to see where he is going with it".

She nods yes to her husband & opens the door. Sure enough the same fellow is standing there & asks the same question, "Do you have vagina?".

"Yes", she says.

The man replies "Good! Would you mind telling your husband to leave my wife's alone & start using yours?".

fanpages

Robot_Rooster

this thread makes me so board. you are going to have to nail this down. get a grip !

fanpages

Robot_Rooster

fanpages

I am so floored by that response I am going to laminate it.

CrispEditor

this thread makes me so board. you are going to have to nail this down. … this thread makes me so board. you are going to have to nail this down. get a grip !

There may only be one of us fast enough for this cheesy joke, so I will do it as quickly as possible:

"Underlay! Underlay!... Arriba! Arriba!...."

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41MBFSMEUtL.jpg
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad news about Barcelona2393
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?2276
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846143
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764117

See more discussions