Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

pshyics and scales

Posted 25th Jun
hello so I got digital scales , now I no there work and it is just me so please explain say if I take tin of bins that says 420 g if I put on scales says 472.

it's measures coins correctly.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
I think the weight refers to the contents. So with packaging it’s heavier.
The weight on the label of food is the minimum weight of the actual food inside the packaging.

So 472g - 420g = 52g weight of tin and the label.

But as above, there could be more than 420g of beans as that is just the minimum so some producers add a few grams to make sure.
MrWalle25/06/2020 22:10

I think the weight refers to the contents. So with packaging it’s heavier.

oh I always thought it was all items
Sam22325/06/2020 22:13

The weight on the label of food is the minimum weight of the actual food …The weight on the label of food is the minimum weight of the actual food inside the packaging. So 472g - 420g = 52g weight of tin and the label.But as above, there could be more than 420g of beans as that is just the minimum so some producers add a few grams to make sure.

oh so getting Extra vaule
Oh yes
Pricklerickle25/06/2020 22:20

oh so getting Extra vaule

In theory, but in practice who knows. When you fancy eating your beans, weigh them and let us know, thanks.
To further confuse things, if a product had the 'e' mark before the weight then it is possible to get less than the weight listed. For example 420g (with an e) could be anything from 390- 450gm (approx figures). This is because it is an average weight over the batch - a rolling average.
If there is no e mark the weight is a minimum weight.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 25th Jun
Sam22325/06/2020 22:39

In theory, but in practice who knows. When you fancy eating your beans, …In theory, but in practice who knows. When you fancy eating your beans, weigh them and let us know, thanks.

It's a tin of bins. Do keep up.
'hello so I got digital scales , now I no there work'
Pardon!
I shall measure the beans and bins and if under , shall write too adli
@Pricklerickle I think you should change your profile picture dude.
MadeDixonsCry25/06/2020 23:40

@Pricklerickle I think you should change your profile picture dude.

why that
Picklerickle, I have some cans of beans, peas, sweet corn & various fruits that could do with weighing if you could spare a few days?
Is this post for real?
Ringfinger25/06/2020 22:46

To further confuse things, if a product had the 'e' mark before the weight …To further confuse things, if a product had the 'e' mark before the weight then it is possible to get less than the weight listed. For example 420g (with an e) could be anything from 390- 450gm (approx figures). This is because it is an average weight over the batch - a rolling average.If there is no e mark the weight is a minimum weight.

Hi it is likely that prepacked products without the e mark will also be packed to average weight. The e mark acts as a metrological passport where such items are exported to the EU. Bit like the CE mark on toys, electrical items etc. It is a declaration by the packer to say that the item has been packed to EU approved regulations . As an aside, a packer could choose to pack to minimum weight even if he uses the e mark if it is easier or cheaper to pack that way than do lots of checks to make sure that their products comply with what are called the three packers rules. This is more likely where it is cheaper product where any giveaway is less important.
Edited by: "pathofpeng" 27th Jun
pathofpeng27/06/2020 15:15

Hi it is likely that prepacked products without the e mark will also be …Hi it is likely that prepacked products without the e mark will also be packed to average weight. The e mark acts as a metrological passport where such items are exported to the EU. Bit like the CE mark on toys, electrical items etc. It is a declaration by the packer to say that the item has been packed to EU approved regulations . As an aside, a packer could choose to pack to minimum weight even if he uses the e mark if it is easier or cheaper to pack that way than do lots of checks to make sure that their products comply with what are called the three packers rules. This is more likely where it is cheaper product where any giveaway is less important.

The e 'e' mark is to show runway it is packed within certain legal tolerances. This is to prevent someone making an unfair advantage by constantly putting , for example, 550gm mince beef in a pack a packet labelled 500gm - customers would flock to but thay. It also protects the consumer falling to the average weights con - the same producer packing 100 units at 700gm, then 200 units at 400gm and labeling them at 500gm - then removing the 700gm ones from the lot and replacing and labeling them correctly ( computerised scales would record the first batch as weighed correctly).

I was a QA technician for a company that provided, beef and lamb for a major supermarket chain. Part of my responsibility was compliance - labeling, weights and measures, origin and traceability. It was a nightmare ad production was all about numbers, not quality. Production managers didn't care about rules, regulations or laws.
Ringfinger27/06/2020 15:44

The e 'e' mark is to show runway it is packed within certain legal …The e 'e' mark is to show runway it is packed within certain legal tolerances. This is to prevent someone making an unfair advantage by constantly putting , for example, 550gm mince beef in a pack a packet labelled 500gm - customers would flock to but thay. It also protects the consumer falling to the average weights con - the same producer packing 100 units at 700gm, then 200 units at 400gm and labeling them at 500gm - then removing the 700gm ones from the lot and replacing and labeling them correctly ( computerised scales would record the first batch as weighed correctly). I was a QA technician for a company that provided, beef and lamb for a major supermarket chain. Part of my responsibility was compliance - labeling, weights and measures, origin and traceability. It was a nightmare ad production was all about numbers, not quality. Production managers didn't care about rules, regulations or laws.

Unfortunately with the cutbacks in trading standards less checks are probably being carried out which leads to less protection for consumers and good businesses.
well on the beans side it was 40 grams less out of tin than started size
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants