Groups

PSN Subscription to increase in price?! $10 more in US starting Sept...

Editor
    So Sony have sneakily updated an article on their blog, detailing the subscription cost rising from 22nd September. Hoping this wont reach the UK, but it probably will

'Update: Starting on September 22, 2016, prices for PlayStation Plus memberships will change to $59.99 USD/ $69.99 CAD for twelve months and $24.99 USD/$29.99 CAD for three months. The monthly plan will change to $11.99 CAD in Canada, and remain $9.99 USD in the U.S. If you are a current member, the new prices will take effect if your membership renews on or after this date.'

29 Comments

Original Poster Editor

Updated article here

Just posted that on the PS4 News. lol. I have a feeling it will happen to us next. Maybe the price rise could mean giving us games like Knack! Or even just add VR games to the service

Pretty much confirmed, Knack for PS+ for October (_;)

Original Poster Editor

FantasyDeals

Pretty much confirmed, Knack for PS+ for October (_;)

Knack will be out for PS+ as soon as Ryse is out for Games for Gold. Deal? X)

Can stack subs so need to find a few good deals. I'm subbed up to Oct 2017, might try getting it to 2020.

CoolDude0123

Just posted that on the PS4 News. lol. I have a feeling it will happen to … Just posted that on the PS4 News. lol. I have a feeling it will happen to us next. Maybe the price rise could mean giving us games like Knack! Or even just add VR games to the service

Hmm I doubt that but I could be wrong.
    The thing is that xbl is $60 in the US so this just brings the PSN into line. Also they have a habit (MS & Sony) of having cheaper subs in their weaker markets (Sony in the US before now [ie last gen] and MS over here).

That is just the impression I have anyhoo and as I say I could be wrong.

I don't think it will increase here. I'm pretty sure in the US the price increase brings it in line with the Xbox gold price, whereas they are both already £40 rrp here. They would be dumb to price it above XBLG.
    Edited by: "sweeten16" 22nd Aug 2016

[email protected]

Hmm I doubt that but I could be wrong.The thing is that xbl is $60 in the … Hmm I doubt that but I could be wrong.The thing is that xbl is $60 in the US so this just brings the PSN into line. Also they have a habit (MS & Sony) of having cheaper subs in their weaker markets (Sony in the US before now [ie last gen] and MS over here).That is just the impression I have anyhoo and as I say I could be wrong.

Oh right. Didn't hear anything about the xbl being that high over there. Has it been like that for long? Hopefully they both don't get any ideas of raising it over here just to rip us off

waits for the "Blame it on Brexit" when it comes here

CoolDude0123

Oh right. Didn't hear anything about the xbl being that high over there. … Oh right. Didn't hear anything about the xbl being that high over there. Has it been like that for long? Hopefully they both don't get any ideas of raising it over here just to rip us off

Went up $10 in 2010.
    cnet.com/new…se/

There’s An Overwhelmingly Large Amount Of Negativity Towards The PlayStation Plus Price Increase
    thisgengaming.com/201…se/

[email protected]

Went up $10 in … Went up $10 in 2010.http://www.cnet.com/news/xbox-live-gold-subscribers-face-price-increase/

Oh right. Never knew about that. But then again back then I wasn't really using my Xbox nor had interest in it anymore. lol. Thanks for showing me the link

CoolDude0123

There’s An Overwhelmingly Large Amount Of Negativity Towards The P … There’s An Overwhelmingly Large Amount Of Negativity Towards The PlayStation Plus Price Increasehttp://thisgengaming.com/2016/08/22/theres-an-overwhelmingly-large-amount-of-negativity-towards-the-playstation-plus-price-increase/Oh right. Never knew about that. But then again back then I wasn't really using my Xbox nor had interest in it anymore. lol. Thanks for showing me the link

I can understand people getting upset about it and the way SCEA announced it, by updating a month old blog post, is pretty poor.

Just reading some of the comments on that blog update, someone posted "I had no problem back in 2009/2010 with xbl" and someone replied "you're the worst kind of consumer" which I thought was pretty funny.

Just hope the money goes to improving the PS+ lineup or infrastructure rather than just lining Sony's pockets (the most likely outcome).

Here’s Why The PlayStation Plus Price Increase Isn’t As Bas As It Sounds

"It’s more expensive for Sony to secure big games for the PlayStation Plus free games lineup. Typically, the free games offering usually works on a per download basis whereby the amount Sony pay is linked to the amount of users who download said game. With over 40 million PS4s sold now and over 20m PS+ users, it must be getting really expensive for Sony to secure bigger games to offer.

By introducing a price increase, this theoretically means Sony can offer even better value for your PlayStation Plus subscription , especially in the wake of the ever-increasing criticism the service has been coming under in recent months.

Secondly, we must remember that PSN is a massive source of revenue for Sony. Twitter user ZhugeEX provided some details on this front that showcases just how crucial PSN revenue is to Sony."
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/cooldude012/Screen%20Shot%202016-08-22%20at%2018.42.34_zpsafuovs9w.png
    thisgengaming.com/201…ds/

[email protected]

I can understand people getting upset about it and the way SCEA announced … I can understand people getting upset about it and the way SCEA announced it, by updating a month old blog post, is pretty poor.Just reading some of the comments on that blog update, someone posted "I had no problem back in 2009/2010 with xbl" and someone replied "you're the worst kind of consumer" which I thought was pretty funny. :DJust hope the money goes to improving the PS+ lineup or infrastructure rather than just lining Sony's pockets (the most likely outcome).

Yeah I'm sure none of us would be very happy either. A lot of people weren't happy with our 1 month and 3 month rising.

That's some funny comment. lol. Must check them all out.

In b4 I'm not paying £60 a year to play online!

moneysavingkitten

That's where you're wrong. I'm not paying £49.99 a year to play online (_;)

moneysavingkitten

£60 is way too much, £50 is too much imo.
    The thing that makes me wonder is what the retailer is being charged as you often see subs (& credit) being sold at 15-20% off (& obviously they are still making a profit). On top of that you have distribution etc..., so it does make me wonder what revenue Sony/MS receive.

What Sony & MS need to do if they want more profit is to cut the profit margins for the retailers or cut them out of the equation altogether.
    After all you don't find store gift cards being sold at 15-20% discounts.

Or failing that they need to bring in a new subscription type, just a plain online subscription (no PS+ games or store discounts).

FantasyDeals

That's where you're wrong. I'm not paying £49.99 a year to play online … That's where you're wrong. I'm not paying £49.99 a year to play online (_;)

Lucky you X)

[email protected]

£60 is way too much, £50 is too much imo.The thing that makes me wonder i … £60 is way too much, £50 is too much imo.The thing that makes me wonder is what the retailer is being charged as you often see subs (& credit) being sold at 15-20% off (& obviously they are still making a profit). On top of that you have distribution etc..., so it does make me wonder what revenue Sony/MS receive.What Sony & MS need to do if they want more profit is to cut the profit margins for the retailers or cut them out of the equation altogether.After all you don't find store gift cards being sold at 15-20% discounts.Or failing that they need to bring in a new subscription type, just a plain online subscription (no PS+ games or store discounts).

That's an interesting point, you don't often see credit being sold at a reasonable discount. It would be interesting to know the margin on it.

I'm not even willing to pay £40. I always look for £30 and under.

[email protected]

£60 is way too much, £50 is too much imo.The thing that makes me wonder i … £60 is way too much, £50 is too much imo.The thing that makes me wonder is what the retailer is being charged as you often see subs (& credit) being sold at 15-20% off (& obviously they are still making a profit). On top of that you have distribution etc..., so it does make me wonder what revenue Sony/MS receive.What Sony & MS need to do if they want more profit is to cut the profit margins for the retailers or cut them out of the equation altogether.After all you don't find store gift cards being sold at 15-20% discounts.Or failing that they need to bring in a new subscription type, just a plain online subscription (no PS+ games or store discounts).

That's IF they bring in better games which is probably not going to happen. A new subscription type is also a terrible idea unless it includes ps now
    Edited by: "Bure11" 22nd Aug 2016

Bure11

That's IF they bring in better games which is probably not going to … That's IF they bring in better games which is probably not going to happen. A new subscription type is also a terrible idea unless it includes ps now

Yeah I said in comment #12 that it will probably line Sony's pockets, lets hope we are both wrong.
    As for a new sub model, there seem to be a lot of people which hate the PS+ games each month (probably COD players (_;)) so I think an online only model (for say £20) would be quite a good idea.

I'd see this more as the US lagging behind the UK rather than necessarily being a sign of an impending increase for us - we had a price increase last year, for three-month subscriptions at least.

That said, with Sterling in its current state, price increases for anything from a company based outside of the UK have to be on the cards.

CoolDude0123

There’s An Overwhelmingly Large Amount Of Negativity Towards The P … There’s An Overwhelmingly Large Amount Of Negativity Towards The PlayStation Plus Price Increase.http://thisgengaming.com/2016/08/22/theres-an-overwhelmingly-large-amount-of-negativity-towards-the-playstation-plus-price-increase/

It would be a rare thing for consumers ever to welcome a price increase for anything, surely?
    Edited by: "Illusionary" 22nd Aug 2016

I was buying an xbox one S anyway, but if this increase comes to the uk I'll be considering whether to keep the PS4, especially since I'm selling the vita and ps3.

Not had a subscription for 8+ months now, the "free games" have all been boring (apart from Rocket League) and pay to play online when most games use P2P connections or third party servers, no thanks Sony.

I use to be hooked, was even thinking of pilling the subs up when offers were available. Lucky I only did a year becuase I don't play it anymore. It's a shock to me becuase i use to spend 3 hours a day on it lol

Banned

They keep on increasing cause people pay for it otherwise they wouldn't feel this greedy.

if they linked PlayStation now to the plus subscription and put the price up to £50 or £60 most would be happy to pay the extra. If the UK do have a price increase I will not be renewing if nothing better is offered.

I wont be renewing my PS+ this year at all.. my XBL i will use for multiplayer stuff, but my PS4 will just be single player, PS+ is a joke now each months offerings are pretty poor.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764564
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …271934
      3. Best advert ever to be seen.1719
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523459

See more discussions