Expired

PSP 1000 not booting up?

Found 14th Oct 2012
The original/phat PSP (1000 series) and had been working fine until a couple of months ago. I charged it up fully and don't recall using it at all while the battery was 100% so it was left until yesterday when I've tried to turn it on after charging it and it won't turn on at all

I've charged it fully, left the battery out and then turned it on but nothing works. If I plug the PSP into the charger with no battery in, no light appears. When I put the battery in and put it on charge, the orange light comes on but when I flick the on switch nothing happens. If I take the PSP off charge with just the battery in, its doesn't work either

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Not quite sure if its the battery or the PSP as I can't quite remember whether the PSP turn on when plugged in with no battery?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

P.S. It did have CFW on it which was installed without a Pandoras battery, I can't access the recovery menu either. Nothing happens at all when the switch is flicked or held. The screen doesnt flicker etc
Community Updates
MiscPlayStation Portable
23 Comments
This won't help the overall problem, but from what I remember, psp should turn on with charger connected with no battery in, as I said, not much help but that should happen
dbhoy

This won't help the overall problem, but from what I remember, psp should … This won't help the overall problem, but from what I remember, psp should turn on with charger connected with no battery in, as I said, not much help but that should happen

Ah, so something inside has probably gone then?
Thing is, can't quite put my finger on what it could be?
dbhoy

This won't help the overall problem, but from what I remember, psp … This won't help the overall problem, but from what I remember, psp should turn on with charger connected with no battery in, as I said, not much help but that should happen

hasan6958

Ah, so something inside has probably gone then?Thing is, can't quite put … Ah, so something inside has probably gone then?Thing is, can't quite put my finger on what it could be?

Have you tried a different AC charger (just to rule that out)?
dbhoy

This won't help the overall problem, but from what I remember, psp … This won't help the overall problem, but from what I remember, psp should turn on with charger connected with no battery in, as I said, not much help but that should happen

hasan6958

Ah, so something inside has probably gone then?Thing is, can't quite put … Ah, so something inside has probably gone then?Thing is, can't quite put my finger on what it could be?

No, haven't actually (only have the ones) but would suppose the AC chargers fine as the light goes on when I plug the PSP with the battery in?
Has the unit been left in a particularly cold environment for a prolonged period?
hasan6958

I got rid of my psp months ago so can't really give much more info I'm afraid, fanpages will help though, but if you havn't charged it for a prolonged time, the battery becomes useless, I learned that the hard way.
fanpages

Has the unit been left in a particularly cold environment for a prolonged … Has the unit been left in a particularly cold environment for a prolonged period?

I'm not sure how cold under the bed is lol
But yeah, you could possibly say that?

dbhoy

I got rid of my psp months ago so can't really give much more info I'm … I got rid of my psp months ago so can't really give much more info I'm afraid, fanpages will help though, but if you havn't charged it for a prolonged time, the battery becomes useless, I learned that the hard way.

Yeah, I had a bad feeling about that, don't mind buying another battery for it if that is the case but I'm sure it can't be that as the PSP should power on with the charger plugged in?

Thanks for the help so far
fanpages

hasan6958

No, haven't actually (only have the ones) but would suppose the AC … No, haven't actually (only have the ones) but would suppose the AC chargers fine as the light goes on when I plug the PSP with the battery in?

AC charging cables sometimes cease working after a couple of years with/without usage.

I am guessing you do not have a voltmeter (or multimeter) to see if the console is receiving the correct voltage from the cable.

Maybe a visit to a GAME(station) store (or similar retailer) can help you if you do not know anybody else with a charging cable. You could just ask them to test the console with a known working cable.
fanpages

Has the unit been left in a particularly cold environment for a … Has the unit been left in a particularly cold environment for a prolonged period?

hasan6958

I'm not sure how cold under the bed is lolBut yeah, you could possibly … I'm not sure how cold under the bed is lolBut yeah, you could possibly say that?

I was just wondering if any condensation had formed on the internal components if you had moved the console from a cold area to a warm one, & given enough time in the warmer environment the console may start to work correctly.
fanpages

hasan6958

No, haven't actually (only have the ones) but would suppose the AC … No, haven't actually (only have the ones) but would suppose the AC chargers fine as the light goes on when I plug the PSP with the battery in?

Really?
Never knew that, always kept old chargers just in case for future use, never knew they could break
And yep, got a voltmeter in the cupboard somewhere, will grab it tomorrow and see if the console is getting the voltage

Come to think of it, may have a car charger for it somewhere so will have a look to try that, if not GAME it is
Have you tried inserting a Universal Media Disk into the on-board drive when flicking the power switch (with the console powered from the AC charger) to see if any power is reaching the drive/laser enough to spin the disk?
This happened tae me a few weeks ago.
Ended up the council street lighting blew a fuse andeven tho we complained about no cooker tae make fried mars bars it took 2 weeks for the power tae cum back on.

If your street lights are on forget my advice stagerlingly away
Allypurinal

This happened tae me a few weeks ago.Ended up the council street lighting … This happened tae me a few weeks ago.Ended up the council street lighting blew a fuse andeven tho we complained about no cooker tae make fried mars bars it took 2 weeks for the power tae cum back on.If your street lights are on forget my advice stagerlingly away

Saved for potential future embarrassment when Allypurinal is no longer drunk.
Hopefully never happen lol unless Mrs Sherg says YES
Ihad the same problem with my psp 1000
i bought one of these http://pandora-battery-shop.co.uk/

heres a video on what to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7sWU1bzdlA

i worked for me
Sounds like a bricked PSP.
PRENDY

Ihad the same problem with my psp 1000i bought one of these … Ihad the same problem with my psp 1000i bought one of these http://pandora-battery-shop.co.uk/heres a video on what to dohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7sWU1bzdlAi worked for me

Mallinersha

That is a possibilty but then surely (like in that video) the PSP would power on with just the battery in when disconnected from the mains? His does, the green light comes on and then doesn;t boot up. Mine does nothing?
PRENDY

Ihad the same problem with my psp 1000i bought one of these … Ihad the same problem with my psp 1000i bought one of these http://pandora-battery-shop.co.uk/heres a video on what to dohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7sWU1bzdlAi worked for me

Mallinersha

Dead PSU/battery
Mallinersha

Dead PSU/battery

Ah right
So what would be the fix then for this? Needs professional repair I take it?
hasan6958

Ah rightSo what would be the fix then for this? Needs professional repair … Ah rightSo what would be the fix then for this? Needs professional repair I take it?

Repair would probably be not economically viable. If there is no green light on power up or orange light when charging and you're sure it's not bricked and you don't have a faulty battery or PSU I'd seriously sell it for spares and buy another one, they can be had quite cheaply. I don't think you even need a pandora battery to install CFW anymore since the encryption keys were cracked for the last/latest official firmware.
Any news on your PSP?
Mallinersha

Any news on your PSP?

Not as yet mate, was thinking about what you were saying and will probably be better to flog it and get another one as its not worth fixing anymore. The yellow charging light does come on but doesn't turn green so will be a pretty bad fault I reckon
hasan6958

Not as yet mate, was thinking about what you were saying and will … Not as yet mate, was thinking about what you were saying and will probably be better to flog it and get another one as its not worth fixing anymore. The yellow charging light does come on but doesn't turn green so will be a pretty bad fault I reckon

Yeah, why mess about with it, besides it's superseded by so many hardware revisions and now the Vita.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants