Groups

PSP and DS's - advice needed please

Ok, can someone pls explain to me the technical differences and the benefits/disadvantages of the PSP and the DS?

We have a DS and like it nice enough and my son loves playing it
    I'm aware of the R4 thing and d/l ripped games and that u can watch movies and photos on it

The PSP I know nothing about apart from seeing things on this forum to do with firmware(?) versions and upgrading them etc
    I've seen a thread mention Pandora Battery & a Magic Mem stick - what's that all about?

So, if I wanna buy a PSP are there different models available?

Would u advise me getting a PSP - I get the feeling they're not too popular - ARE THEY a good piece of kit or is it rather a flop that I should avoid?

And if u do say they are good, what's a good price - IF there are different models?
    AND, which model should I get?

Many, many thanks for any advice you can give

nicojo

11 Comments

Fun games = DS
    Impressive graphics = PSP
    The choice is yours

Original Poster

Abvance;3884989

Fun games = DSImpressive graphics = PSPThe choice is yours

The PSP has more adult games then?

Is the DS more suitable for kids then?

I'm looking for one for an 11 yr old

thank you

Original Poster

The model they're selling in argos

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

Which model would that be?

Having read another thread - seems the PSP 3000 is newest and the best (mostly)

I would get a DS lite + DSTT or similar for a 11 year old.

Abvance;3885186

I would get a DS lite + DSTT or similar for a 11 year old.

Me 2 :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Hmm - he has £110 and wants a PSP with need for speed undercover - does the DS have a comparable game / or is it on DS too?

thanks

nicojo;3885239

Hmm - he has £110 and wants a PSP with need for speed undercover - does … Hmm - he has £110 and wants a PSP with need for speed undercover - does the DS have a comparable game / or is it on DS too?thanks

Games don't usually compare, DS has no where near the power of PSP, but then again it's a lot easier to play backup games on DS.

Forgive me from guessing your sons nature but if you buy him a ds when he really wants a psp especially as mentioned above the D's POWER compared to psp is like comparing a go kart to a F1car.

If you son is well up and knows about gadgets he will have his heart set on PSP and (call you names under his breath for buying a ds).

I know that's what I would be like, I am well mannered as well or rather I was more so when I was younger but still got upset at being bought something I had no use for.

Lot different though as tech wise there was nothing like either when I was 11 I think closet was push button tape recorder LOL or a binatone games console to play tennis or jump over buses on a motobike.

Get him a colouring book

If you want to mod the psp don't get 3000 model, as this cannot be done yet.

nicojo;3885124

The model they're selling in … The model they're selling in argoshttp://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5682832/c_1/1|category_root|Video+games|10199869/c_2/2|cat_10199869|PSP|10199895/c_3/3|cat_10199895|PSP+consoles|10199896.htmWhich model would that be?Having read another thread - seems the PSP 3000 is newest and the best (mostly)

That's the 2nd generation PSP, it should be able to have CFW on it, but it's not possible to guarantee it. My friend got a silver one from Argos last week, and it can't be modded.

Original Poster

Thank you everyone for ur advice - he DOES want a PSP so I wont be looking for a DS

I now see that a PS have better graphics which will be better suited since he is wanting to watch films on it too

I think a slim and lite one (the previous model) will suffice and then he should be able to get a console and the game he wants for under £110

many thanks
    nicojo
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30408
      2. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…921
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …247806
      4. Best advert ever to be seen.1515

See more discussions