PSU for RX 480 / GTX 1060?

Found 26th Jul 2016
Hi guys,

I am looking to get a PSU which would be fit for the RX 480 or GTX 1060. May just go for an RX 480 to save a few bob.
Would a 430W or 450W be ok? I don't want to get something that is overkill.
Overclockers page suggests 400+ for the Sapphire RX 480 Nitro
overclockers.co.uk/sap…tml

Many thanks
Community Updates
13 Comments
whats your budget and wired or modular psu ?
450w is Fine cause Power Usage is Reducing throughout the New Generations of Cards
You need to check the rails of the PSU to see if it can take the load of the GPU. Check to see how many 12v rails it has and at what amps.
The rated wattage of the PSU is mute if it doesn't have enough power on the 12v rails.
Don't be lazy and read this tomshardware.co.uk/gra…tml
Edited by: "kester76" 26th Jul 2016
Original Poster
orig

whats your budget and wired or modular psu ?

£50 ish i've seen a few around semi-modular or modular would do.
Original Poster
kester76

You need to check the rails of the PSU to see if it can take the load of … You need to check the rails of the PSU to see if it can take the load of the GPU. Check to see how many 12v rails it has and at what amps.The rated wattage of the PSU is mute if it doesn't have enough power on the 12v rails.Don't be lazy and read this http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics-card-power-supply-balance,review-33071-7.html

Thanks will have a read. Funnily enough I spent a lot of time reading about PSU's but somehow managed to miss this out.

I'm going for 80 plus one's not sure if that matters.
Edited by: "Mrman123" 26th Jul 2016
Mrman123

£50 ish i've seen a few around semi-modular or modular would do.

amazon.co.uk/Coo…psu
Original Poster
orig

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-RS550-AMAAB1-UK-Performance-Modular/dp/B00FNCNWHI/ref=sr_1_74?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1469538572&sr=1-74&keywords=psu

That's one of the one's on the shortlist.
Mrman123

That's one of the one's on the shortlist.

i always buy evga myself, maybe check out some reviews as psu is most important part of the pc and maybe upping your budget a bit
Rookiereece100

450w is Fine cause Power Usage is Reducing throughout the New Generations … 450w is Fine cause Power Usage is Reducing throughout the New Generations of Cards

450W is even excessive unless the rest of your system is particularly power hungry (heavily overclocked etc.). The average RX 480 review system is pulling two hundred and something watts. Assuming your case takes the big ATX form factor PSUs you'll struggle to find anything in a small capacity though.

Mrman123

These days everything's over 80% efficiency (except a few ultra-cheap models sold under scammy brand names and with misleading power numbers).

Original Poster
Rookiereece100

450w is Fine cause Power Usage is Reducing throughout the New … 450w is Fine cause Power Usage is Reducing throughout the New Generations of Cards

Mrman123

Good points, the system won't be OC'd and will be a mini-itx build with: 1X HDD, 1 X SSD, Gigabyte MB, i5 6400, GPU (RX480 or GTX 1060), standard ATX PSU, maybe two extra 80mm fans and standard keyboard and mouse.

Damn it, so found a 450W Corsair Hybrid for £40 and then a Be Quiet Hybrid for £52, is it worth spending theextra £12 on the Be Quiet?

scan.co.uk/pro…psu

cclonline.com/pro…68/?
Edited by: "Mrman123" 26th Jul 2016
Out of them two. Get the be quiet one.
Looking at videos and reviews on YouTube 400w is enough
Snakeyes646

Looking at videos and reviews on YouTube 400w is enough

But I'd just get a 550/600 to be comfortable.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions