Psychology and the Good Life - Yale’s most popular online course ever is now free

Posted 29th Mar
The most popular class in the history of Yale is now available online, joining 20 other Coursera classes taught by Yale faculty.

The class, Psyc 157, “Psychology and the Good Life,” is taught by psychology professor Laurie Santos. Nearly a quarter of all Yale undergraduates have enrolled in the class in its inaugural year — a fact that attracted media attention around the globe.

The online course, titled “The Science of Well Being,” features lectures by Santos on things people think will make them happy but don’t — and, more importantly, things that do bring lasting life satisfaction. Registration is now open.

news.yale.edu/201…era
Community Updates

Groups

4 Comments
Should be in freebies
Interesting, I’ve signed up and will give it a shot. Thanks
ChelseaRae29/03/2020 09:50

Interesting, I’ve signed up and will give it a shot. Thanks

Looks good, keen to know if you think it’s useful. Never was one for uni courses but this looks like it could have practical application right now.
velvetpigeon06/04/2020 01:18

Looks good, keen to know if you think it’s useful. Never was one for uni c …Looks good, keen to know if you think it’s useful. Never was one for uni courses but this looks like it could have practical application right now.

I’ve only completed week 1 which is an introduction to the course in regard to its contents and why it exists but you hit the nail on the head, the primary focus is practical application in applying what you learn to your day to day life to be happier. To give you an idea on the topics it covers:

> Misconceptions about happiness.
The things you think make you happy but don't actually.

> Why our expectations are so bad.
Many of the things we think are going to make us happy don't. And so, why are we not
accurate about the kinds of things that are going to make us happy? Why are we singling out these things that aren't going to help us?

> What actually really does increase happiness.

> What are the strategies that we should be using?

> How can you put these in practice more broadly?

It’s free so honestly you’ve got nothing to lose in signing up and giving it a go if it’s something you feel may benefit you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions