Found 2nd Feb 2009
Hey guy's and girl's,since you are all so helpful i thought someone might be able to help me with this,basically i sell jewellery online,but sometime's i go round call centre's etc selling my jewellery,and they are asking me too have public liability insurance, where would i go to get this and does anyone know a rough idea of the price?

11 Comments

No idea on price but you can get a quote from any insurance company. Why don't you try one of the insurance comparison sites maybe confused.com.

Any insurance company should be able to sort you out. Just call around a few the price's will vary quite a bit (as usual).
I think the minimum cover for third party liability these days is £2,000,000 but I'm not sure. . .

I've been self employed for over 12 yrs now. I thought that anyone who was self employed had to have public liability insurance, perhaps not. You can contact insurance companies and ask if they do public liability for the self employed. I have two companies I use but they are related directly to my type of work and it doesn't apply to this.

Also, wouldnt you need to register with the tax man and to pay national insurance contibutions? Find out about this as you could be in a lot of trouble if you are meant to and havent...

HTH!

hi.
i was going to recommend "Fish insurance" as i use them for my sons carer.
But after checking their website i think they only cover disability issues. So sorry about that.
:oops:
But i do know Lloydstsb do it, not sure on prices but have added a link incase its of any use:thumbsup:
lloydstsbbusinessinsurance.co.uk/

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;4261008

I've been self employed for over 12 yrs now. I thought that anyone who … I've been self employed for over 12 yrs now. I thought that anyone who was self employed had to have public liability insurance, perhaps not. You can contact insurance companies and ask if they do public liability for the self employed. I have two companies I use but they are related directly to my type of work and it doesn't apply to this. Also, wouldnt you need to register with the tax man and to pay national insurance contibutions? Find out about this as you could be in a lot of trouble if you are meant to and havent... HTH!

Hi there,i have only been selling a few month's online so i never realised that i had to have it! and i am registered as self employed and pay my national insurance contibutions. when i am calling insurance companies they basically tell me it's to small a case for them and to contact a insurance broker

You could try Swinton, their brokers. . .

how awkward.

Just to give you some idea, I pay about 200 a year and that covers me for 10, 000 000.

Surely someone must do it?

Also, you probably don't have to pay tax if you earn under the personal allowance rates, but you will still need to complete a tax form each year. Keep all your receipts for everything you buy to do with business, even how far you go in the car. And everything you earn also, of course, as you can ofset the expenditure against your profits.

Original Poster

I have just been off phone to a broker in local area and there going to cover it so i am quite happy Yes i earn under the personal allowance rate right now so do not pay tax,luckily i am engaged to an accountant so he keep's me right with all the receipt's invoice's car etc

wow, you're so lucky with the accountant. Even after all this time I struggle with the taxes, but still do it myself to save money. Good luck with your business.

OOOohh, I think it's stopped snowing!!!

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;4261244

wow, you're so lucky with the accountant. Even after all this time I … wow, you're so lucky with the accountant. Even after all this time I struggle with the taxes, but still do it myself to save money. Good luck with your business. OOOohh, I think it's stopped snowing!!!

Hmm lucky or not lol i have to listen to ALOT of boring stories hehehe. Thank-you very much,i presume your business is going well if you have been doing it for 12 years so you don't need luck

Business is really hard for everyone at the moment. I am really seeing a squeeze. I have to keep diversifying into other areas, to keep responding to what people want to stay afloat. Such is life!!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Bean to cup machine22
    2. How Much are CEX offering for SNES mini?2739
    3. Cex snes mini price1328
    4. Cineworld - possible to book film for future at counter to save booking fee…22

See more discussions