Groups

Punk Star Poly Styrene sadly looses battle against the Big C

Former punk star Poly Styrene - who fronted X-Ray Spex - has died after a battle with cancer.

The singer, whose real name was Marianne Elliot Said, released a new album, Generation Indigo, only last month.

Styrene - who notably appeared on TV and in publicity shots with braces on her teeth - scored hits with tracks such as Germ Free Adolescent and Oh Bondage Up Yours.

The singer died yesterday at the age of 53.

bbc.co.uk/new…968

13 Comments

seriously....who???

Original Poster

shanecr

seriously....who???

Says who in the freaking title. And if you are being sarcastic then I am sure she with the punk following she had has left far greater a legacy in her life then you ever will buddy.

Banned

I scrambled over mounds and mounds of polystyrene foam and fell into a swimming pool filled with fairy snow....The day the world turned dayglo

cicobuff

Says who in the freaking title. And if you are being sarcastic then I am … Says who in the freaking title. And if you are being sarcastic then I am sure she with the punk following she had has left far greater a legacy in her life then you ever will buddy.

wow. cut up much over this??

samaritans.org/tal…spx

Original Poster

shanecr

wow. cut up much over this??http://www.samaritans.org/talk_to_someone.aspx

Troll much?

That's so awful. Saw an article with her in the Sunday Times a few weeks back and I think she was planning to bring a new album out. Her daughter is in her early 20's, i think. Really sad news.

Still got the vinyl kicking around somewhere. Loved that album in my youth !

Sad news :-(

Original Poster

SNEEZY

That's so awful. Saw an article with her in the Sunday Times a few weeks … That's so awful. Saw an article with her in the Sunday Times a few weeks back and I think she was planning to bring a new album out. Her daughter is in her early 20's, i think. Really sad news.

Her album was released a month ago [Generation Indigo]

shanecr

seriously....I am a troll

Thats very sad - Identity came on in the car at the weekend and had me singing along (perhaps singing is a bit of a stretch), loved that whole punk era. RIP Poly

Original Poster

Martin Glover AKA Youth (Killing Joke Bassist, The Fireman w/Paul McCartney, Award Winning Producer) produced her album and had these nice words to say about her on his [Twitter Feed]....

"The angels are singing in Krishna heaven ....bless the soul of the mighty Poly Styrene."

"She was super stella magical and yet still very anchored with a sharp sense of humour The world is not the same"

sad news, remember her well from the punk days.... RIP
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33
      2. Laptop screen backlight issue23
      3. Input Lag v Refresh rate on a TV..510
      4. Three connection89

See more discussions