Expired

Purchased a Skoda from main dealer , Salesman told me incorrect information on spec ,,can I return it

Found 3rd Aug 2013
Last week purchased a 10 plate fabia 1.6 tdi from Skoda main dealer , on the test drive the salesman told me it had an external
aux connection for mp3 players etc. He showed me the physical connector where player is plugged in.
After picking up car drove home and tried to connect i phone , pressed media on car radio but no aux option was avaialable
Next day tried the lead in my mates skoda at work 09 plate and worked fine.
Called Skoda returned car at their request , they had car for 2 hours while I waited , Then the service manager told me that they cannot get the aux working , as not sure if this model supports and they have sent off for more from Skoda Hq..
Can I come back !!!! I said youre having a laugh, You dont know if this model supports it.. I said its a 50mile round trip
Surley they could have easily checked before i wasted half a day..
I asked them to change the radio or upgrade the software to allow the installed outlet to work,,,,
Basically can i take the motor back as i purchased the car in good faith that the mp3 player outlet was available as told by the salesman , due to covering high motorway miles I listen to audio books
Community Updates
AskSkoda
29 Comments
There's no way on earth you will be able to return a used car because of that
Thanks for response ,Will i be able to get them to add the feature as ,The car comes with a 30 day return contract , I asked the salesman directly if this model had this feature and he pointed the aux output in the car.
Are the goods you bought "as described"? Simple Yes/No
If no, you have every right to reject the goods but do it quick and in writing ~ keep a copy.

Give 'em a week -say- to sort it
perhaps you need to threaten court action, do they not have one in stock that is your price range with the specs, put things in writing.
ziggy64

car comes with a 30 day return contract

That's your get-out then (which you omitted from the OP)

It's surely an aux-in and not an aux-out? What model of radio is it?
Edited by: "dimebars" 3rd Aug 2013
Have a look here
Sorry .. Yes Aux in ..Radio is a skoda swing .. with a media button for external input.. .
Thanks for the link.. Skodaso called expert had car for 2 hours yesterday ,, and his findings were

tested my lead ok ... Did this myself
Checked fault log on car .....No faults
Not sure if this model supports this feature ... after 2 hours .. he still not sure if should be on car and he hasto e mail skoda hq
for guidance ... can i come back next week .....I said your havin a laugh ....
could be your word against the sales man
you will not be able to get your money back but you will be able to get a repair if the warranty or sales T&C includes repairs to this item.

get the user manual and see what it says what cable is supposed to do. you should really have brought your phone with you to test it when you picked up the car.
hi, I work in sales for vw group, skoda do have a 30 day returns policy that applies to cars in their "used approved scheme" unfortunately a 10 plate car probably isn't on the scheme, though check your documents to see if it stays anywhere it's a ,"skoda used approved car"

otherwise, unless you have it in writing that the car has an aux for external media, the balance of power is in the garages favor. check brochures etc for the car at that age, if it states it in there your into a good thing (I think it probably does)
SmallGiraffe

hi, I work in sales for vw group, skoda do have a 30 day returns policy … hi, I work in sales for vw group, skoda do have a 30 day returns policy that applies to cars in their "used approved scheme" unfortunately a 10 plate car probably isn't on the scheme, though check your documents to see if it stays anywhere it's a ,"skoda used approved car" otherwise, unless you have it in writing that the car has an aux for external media, the balance of power is in the garages favor. check brochures etc for the car at that age, if it states it in there your into a good thing (I think it probably does)

It obviously has an aux-in. It's the functionality that's in question
I had a 59 plate 1.2 Fabia, my aux input was near the cigarette lighter socket and worked fine through the stereo. I now have a 62 plate Fabia Estate 1.6 tdi and the socket is in the same place and also works fine. I think my stereo was either Dance or Swing in the first Fabia and I don't recall it having a name in my Estate. The point of this post is I would assume it should work fine in yours! Get them to sort it as if you keep the car without it being fixed it will drive you bonkers.
Page 8

Gives instruction for activating the aux input

It may be faulty
Does yours have the MDI?

You will need an adaptor for that
Thanks for all the responses .. just recieved in the post skoda approved car warranty and assistance .. also signed 30 day returns policy form.. the aux port is next to the fag lighter between drivers and passenger seat , as pointed out by salesman on test drive
Two of my mates have fabias both 09 plates and both have fully functional aux in outlets , so why would skoda not deilver in 10 models when socket is hardwired in to body ?
Thats the baby...got that form...will be pulling out of top pocket if cannot get working

still cannot believe this is non standard.. will be calling head of service Monday morning..
Taken from above Link.... –
Activate the AUX-IN input by pressing the media button and by subsequently
pressing the function key .
– I press Media button ,but no options for AUX
There is a way to activate AUX as it is sometimes deactivated on VAG stereos. I'm on the hukd app so can't search but if you google enable aux on a rcd 300 or 310, it should point you to the instructions. You won't be able to return the car for this. But you will be able to get them to enable this feature. At worst it will be a new head unit which they will probably have lots of hanging about in the stock room from old cars.
They will probably put in a new radio for you, costs them little and is less hassle then refunding the car then explaining to the next buyer why it now has an extra owner for a only a week!
groenleader

They will probably put in a new radio for you, costs them little and is … They will probably put in a new radio for you, costs them little and is less hassle then refunding the car then explaining to the next buyer why it now has an extra owner for a only a week!

There is no way they would refund the car over this, plus there is a chance the car might have been bought on finance, if I were the OP I would never take another car credit search over something so minor, thinking about it now it seems OP might not like the car, because this is exactly my way of thinking if I don't like a car.
aircanman

There is no way they would refund the car over this, plus there is a … There is no way they would refund the car over this, plus there is a chance the car might have been bought on finance, if I were the OP I would never take another car credit search over something so minor, thinking about it now it seems OP might not like the car, because this is exactly my way of thinking if I don't like a car.

He has a 30 day exchange contract.
Inactive

He has a 30 day exchange contract.

Of which the terms are unknown

It sounds as if the aux connection is faulty or the HU is faulty

Either way it should be an easy fix
dimebars

Of which the terms are unknownIt sounds as if the aux connection is … Of which the terms are unknownIt sounds as if the aux connection is faulty or the HU is faultyEither way it should be an easy fix

They are known, I posted a link to them on the previous page.
I only want the AUX in working as they stated on test drive .. If that requires a new radio head no problem , apart from this issue very impressed with the motor which i paid cash for .But if they will not get the Aux working i will take car back as a matter of principle
Unlikely you can get a refund but you could ask for a price reduction. Get the dealer to check the country coding for the stereo. Sometimes it can be deactivated because it is not a feature of that specific country. If all else fails, you should be able to retro fit an aux in.

amazon.co.uk/Con…e_1

Thanks for all the advise.. Finally got sorted , New radio head unit fitted Aux in working...Took them a while to sort and couple of visits
ziggy64

Thanks for all the advise.. Finally got sorted , New radio head unit … Thanks for all the advise.. Finally got sorted , New radio head unit fitted Aux in working...Took them a while to sort and couple of visits

A result, thanks for the update.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions