Purchased Ipad from ebay which has chipped corner, this was not shown in photos or detailed in description. I assume it has been dropped at some point, can Ipads be okay after a drop? are they made to withstand it?

Found 3rd Jul 2017
Hi all,

So I purchased an iPad pro cellular and WiFi 9.7 32gb for £310 3 months old which is a steal at that price?

The Ipad also came with a case and glass screen protector. The case is one one of those plastic backs you clip it into with a flip over cover. The protector case is chipped on the top left corner near the headphone jack. The Ipad is also chipped on the left corner. The chip was not shown in the listing or description. I assume putting two and two together it has been dropped.

Can Ipads withstand being dropped or will have components become damaged inside? Everything works okay from what I have tested so not sure it is worth sending back or companing over.

Thanks

13 Comments

If it was dropped on the corner, I would imagine that at least the glass would have had to have been replaced.

Not sure about the iPad pro, but the standard iPad holds up pretty well internally to falls.

Original Poster

AshleyJones941 m ago

If it was dropped on the corner, I would imagine that at least the glass …If it was dropped on the corner, I would imagine that at least the glass would have had to have been replaced.Not sure about the iPad pro, but the standard iPad holds up pretty well internally to falls.

​Thanks for response, the glass is perfect condition

They're pretty much shockproof, the screen would usually be the first thing to break. If everything works ok as it is, make sure you test every feature. Then it'll just be cosmetic. If you don't want to return it, You could suggest to them you're disappointed to receive it in a condition that wasn't as described but would be willing to accept a partial refund that would save postage costs etc etc.

Original Poster

ktbffh18 m ago

Wouldn't it be easier to return and get another one:)? Takes all the guess …Wouldn't it be easier to return and get another one:)? Takes all the guess work out

​I guess but I don't think I will get a price anywhere near £310

You could ask the seller for a part refund for the damage that wasn't mentioned

adamwilko007

I guess but I don't think I will get a price anywhere near £310

that might be the case but this 3 months old ipad does not have any warranty due to structural damage

Original Poster

dush_yant44 m ago

You could ask the seller for a part refund for the damage that wasn't …You could ask the seller for a part refund for the damage that wasn't mentioned

​How much would you ask for, what would be reasonable?

Original Poster

mattsokolinski46 m ago

that might be the case but this 3 months old ipad does not have any …that might be the case but this 3 months old ipad does not have any warranty due to structural damage

​Ah crap didn't realise that

adamwilko007

Ah crap didn't realise that

Check the warranty status here

checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/

If you have an apple shop near by make an appointment and ask them to check it over etc. They will tell you if anything is wrong that will void the warranty.

adamwilko007

​How much would you ask for, what would be reasonable?

20% would be reasonable IMO

adamwilko007

How much would you ask for, what would be reasonable?

If you want to be more scientific, you could ask for £89, which is the cost of AppleCare+ for an iPad. Reason being is that is what Apple charges to extend the warranty from 1 year to 2 years, so you want that amount back in order to accept 1 year less of warranty.

My daughter cracked the screen bottom left on her ipad mini within 1 month of buying it. Its been over 2 years now and still works perfect and crack never got any bigger. As the others said ask for discount as the damage was not mentioned. Good luck

Dropping ipads generally fixes them. Random i know but thats apple for you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions