Purchasing a new laptop

Posted 26th May
Anyone offer any advice
Budget around 1k+

Needed for the following
* Small video/photo editing
*Light gaming (footie manager old point and click maybe fortnite)
* Everyday use
* Netflix etc streaming

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.s. no macbooks as got one now and it tries to take off when I play football manager
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
deleted11933
You can do all that on a new £400 laptop, or a used £50 laptop.
Do you need to spend £1000?
deleted1193326/05/2020 10:08

You can do all that on a new £400 laptop, or a used £50 laptop.Do you need …You can do all that on a new £400 laptop, or a used £50 laptop.Do you need to spend £1000?

Nope but I'm.open to suggestions
deleted11933
PH198326/05/2020 10:12

Nope but I'm.open to suggestions

Have you looked at the recent deals?
You need to decide on your requirements.
e.g. screen size
hard drive size (get an SSD else you will regret it)
I would go 8GB Ram if possible so you dont need to worry about having browser tabs open, running applications etc all at once.
Weight.

etc.

e.g. is this for a desk (in which case you may want a larger screen, or is it for portability.. etc etc).
deleted1193326/05/2020 10:22

Have you looked at the recent deals?You need to decide on your …Have you looked at the recent deals?You need to decide on your requirements.e.g. screen sizehard drive size (get an SSD else you will regret it)I would go 8GB Ram if possible so you dont need to worry about having browser tabs open, running applications etc all at once.Weight.etc.e.g. is this for a desk (in which case you may want a larger screen, or is it for portability.. etc etc).

i've looked in recent deals yes. cant see a stand out laptop hence the post
screen size can be 13" +
SSD of course
and 8gb seems to be standard. When im looking at video editing all post on here say get 16gb

its for personal use around the houes or wherever. its not for work
Look on YouTube lots of reviews, might help you decide
Do you intend purchasing over the internet or a physical purchase?
If the former, then standby to be disappointed!
If you are doing video editing your screen has to be good for your eyes - not somebody elses.
You can't beat "try before you buy" - call it a test drive.
And then you will choose based on your budget, your own experience and not on the basis of what random recommendations you get on the net.
deleted11933
PH198326/05/2020 10:29

i've looked in recent deals yes. cant see a stand out laptop hence the …i've looked in recent deals yes. cant see a stand out laptop hence the post screen size can be 13" +SSD of course and 8gb seems to be standard. When im looking at video editing all post on here say get 16gbits for personal use around the houes or wherever. its not for work

13+ plus is very broad.
You must have an idea if you want a 13", 14",15.6",17" etc.
tardytortoise26/05/2020 10:43

Do you intend purchasing over the internet or a physical purchase?If the …Do you intend purchasing over the internet or a physical purchase?If the former, then standby to be disappointed! If you are doing video editing your screen has to be good for your eyes - not somebody elses.You can't beat "try before you buy" - call it a test drive.And then you will choose based on your budget, your own experience and not on the basis of what random recommendations you get on the net.

Internet purchase as no stores open lol
deleted1193326/05/2020 10:45

13+ plus is very broad.You must have an idea if you want a 13", …13+ plus is very broad.You must have an idea if you want a 13", 14",15.6",17" etc.

The bigger the size the dearer I'd expect.

Screen size isn't a deal breaker really.

I've been looking at the Dell XPS 13 late 2019 model
tardytortoise26/05/2020 11:58

15th June?https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52801727

Yes social distancing 2 young children. Not worth the hassle
I'd wait till June for the new amd laptops coming out
PenguinsForAll26/05/2020 15:47

I'd wait till June for the new amd laptops coming out

Any idea what o es or literally loads coming?
tardytortoise26/05/2020 11:58

15th June?https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52801727

No it's not - the date hasn't been announced.

This is HUKD - NOT HED. Not everyone using this site lives in England.

Edited by: "alg" 26th May
alg26/05/2020 18:12

No it's not - the date hasn't been announced.This is HUKD - NOT HED. Not …No it's not - the date hasn't been announced.This is HUKD - NOT HED. Not everyone using this site lives in England.

Did you see the question mark?
tardytortoise26/05/2020 18:41

Did you see the question mark?

Did you not see the smiley?

In parts of the UK outside Englandshire, the 15th June is a pretty certain no.
alg26/05/2020 18:58

Did you not see the smiley? In parts of the UK outside Englandshire, …Did you not see the smiley? In parts of the UK outside Englandshire, the 15th June is a pretty certain no.

I wonder what the Edinburgh Woollen Mill will do?
tardytortoise26/05/2020 20:16

I wonder what the Edinburgh Woollen Mill will do?

On the basis of the one in Dundee, probably go bust. It's been closing down for over a year i think. Bonmarche is the same group, along with Peacocks.

It's no different than any of the other chains though. My daughter works part time in Primark, and apparently the social media feeds went mad in the date announcement, except it doesn't apply outside England at present.

The media presentation of the whole position isn't easy. The BBC published a photo last week showing a picture of someone sunbathing in London as the lockdown was eased in the UK. Within a few hours that had been changed to England.
I would look at a Huawei Matebook 13. Good specs including a dGPU, for less than £1k
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants