Found 21st Jan
Hello, I'm looking at upgrading my Sky router to something a little better, it's just becoming unbearably bad using WiFi with it (wired is fine) does anyone have any better router suggestions for below £100

1. Ask
  2. Router
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Router
9 Comments

Wait for the netgear nighthawk r7000 to come back down in price at Amazon. It was £94.99 or £99.99 just before Christmas. That will be the best router you like get for £100.00.

I am waiting for it to drop again. I know there was the Asus one on offer at Curry's recently but the netgear scores a little higher on tech reviews.

Assuming you have fibre broadband with separate modem.
Edited by: "Smartguy1" 21st Jan

Original Poster

Smartguy1

Wait for the netgear nighthawk r7000 to come back down in price at … Wait for the netgear nighthawk r7000 to come back down in price at Amazon. It was £94.99 or £99.99 just before Christmas. That will be the best router you like get for £100.00.I am waiting for it to drop again. I know there was the Asus one on offer at Curry's recently but the netgear scores a little higher on tech reviews.Assuming you have fibre broadband with separate modem.

​Ah, just out of curiosity do you know how hard it is to setup a typical 100 poundish router and is it possible on sky?

I never had sky but the first netgear router I had was dead easy and I didn't know anything about networking then. It can with a disc which i inserted in my PC Andi just followed the instructions on-screen. I don't need the disc but how you set it up will depend on what you have I.e standard broadband or fibre. Do you have a separate modem.

sky is very fussy and requires a setting that only a handful support without using modded firmware. have a look on skyuser forum for a list. that said i agree with above. its a brillaint router

I have sky and use a TP-Link archer C8 as I needed gigabit Ethernet connections. I still have the sky router set in modem only mode with the wi-fi turned off. Fairly easy if you know your way around a router config

Have a look into mesh systems like the Negear Orbi

Original Poster

japes

I have sky and use a TP-Link archer C8 as I needed gigabit Ethernet … I have sky and use a TP-Link archer C8 as I needed gigabit Ethernet connections. I still have the sky router set in modem only mode with the wi-fi turned off. Fairly easy if you know your way around a router config

​Is it easy to setup an c8 archer on Sky, was looking at that.

JordanWells97

​Is it easy to setup an c8 archer on Sky, was looking at that.

​I've had it like this for over a year so my memory is a little hazy but don't remember it being too difficult. Attach the TP-Link then set its IP as DMZ on the sky router so all internet traffic is sent to the TP-Link without any firewall filtering. Turn off the Sky wi-fi and that's it. it's annoying having to have two boxes powered on but saves all the hassle of getting your sky username and password from the Sky modem (not a simple task!)

Have you tried to wangle the new SkyQ, as it is supposed to be much better.

If you intend to keep the Sky router as a modem only, there are plenty of wifi routers that will do the job (look for one with "EWAN" port configuration); if you want a router to completely REPLACE the sky router - you have to be more careful.

Sky use a weird implementation of the VDSL standard, not all routers can do it, and even fewer have the option to configure it as part of the user control panel.

The TPLink Archer VR200 can do it as of last January's firmware update, as can its big brother the VR900; the VR200 is available for about £70-80. I have had a VR200 for about 18 months, and it has been very stable, with excellent VDSL speeds and no extra game lag over Wifi.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition51460
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums11
    4. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!11

See more discussions