Purchasing food from your local Butcher

42 replies
Found 11th Feb 2011
Does anyone have a Butcher they go to (not one in a supermarket) that actually lays a sticker in what you have purchase with a Best Before Date on it?

I find sometimes a few days later, whether or not something is ok or not to eat. How do we know the days it's been sitting in the Butcher shop for?

1. Misc
  2. Food
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Food
42 Comments

Trouble is that even supermarkets have been caught changing the "sell by" dates on meat products displayed on their counters. Otherwise their wastage can be higher than the 'management' will accept.

For that reason, I only buy pre-packaged meat from supermarkets, it is much harder for the dates to changed on them.

When I buy butcher meat I normally use it that night or the next day.

Banned

bossyboots

When I buy butcher meat I normally use it that night or the next day.

do you like lots of meat there BB

Banned

i find butcher's are extremely helpful and grateful for your business so they would tell you when to use by if asked and should be reliable. A butcher isn't going to want to damge their reputation by giving bad advice or selling bad meat.

I used to work in a **** ham factory, all the scraps of the ham, were reprocessed into more ham for the next day. Theoretically, the meat in your ham sandwich could be up to 10yrs old! ha!

Original Poster

Hmmm I've found using meat or things like sausage rolls a week later

this is where the grey area is, how long can you leave it in your fridge for?

Yeuch Splat - just think what rubbish is put in the meat paste jars

saxo_appeal

Hmmm I've found using meat or things like sausage rolls a week later this … Hmmm I've found using meat or things like sausage rolls a week later this is where the grey area is, how long can you leave it in your fridge for?Yeuch Splat - just think what rubbish is put in the meat paste jars

i remember looking at a jar of beef sandwich paste, contents were 20% chicken 15%ham oO

Original Poster

lol

Ach just chuck anything in, no one will notice

splatsplatsplat

I used to work in a **** ham factory, all the scraps of the ham, were … I used to work in a **** ham factory, all the scraps of the ham, were reprocessed into more ham for the next day. Theoretically, the meat in your ham sandwich could be up to 10yrs old! ha!

A West Ham factory ?

sell by dates are usually a much shorter date than you can use the product for anyway. you can tell with meat by the smell of it, and the colour.

Original Poster

Sell by or best before

you just really don't know how long you have left with a bit of meat from the butcher

I thought they would have to let you know by way of a sticker

I love going to the butcher, best place to get your meat, sausages etc

AlanB

Trouble is that even supermarkets have been caught changing the "sell by" … Trouble is that even supermarkets have been caught changing the "sell by" dates on meat products displayed on their counters. Otherwise their wastage can be higher than the 'management' will accept.For that reason, I only buy pre-packaged meat from supermarkets, it is much harder for the dates to changed on them.

Spot on. Rewrapping is the name for it. They used to do it in the bakery too. You are supposed to change the dates on the machine but we often didnt. If you go into some supermarkets you will see them doing it first thing in the morning.

Banned

saxo_appeal

Sell by or best before you just really don't know how long you have left … Sell by or best before you just really don't know how long you have left with a bit of meat from the butcherI thought they would have to let you know by way of a sticker :)I love going to the butcher, best place to get your meat, sausages etc

Ask the butcher when is the best time to eat it.

Good luck!

leecroot

Spot on. Rewrapping is the name for it. They used to do it in the bakery … Spot on. Rewrapping is the name for it. They used to do it in the bakery too. You are supposed to change the dates on the machine but we often didnt. If you go into some supermarkets you will see them doing it first thing in the morning.

dont get that at mozzas

Original Poster

What is Mozzas?

Banned

How's your back saxo?

saxo_appeal

What is Mozzas?

Morrisons?

When I worked there (15 years ago) one of the butchers severed a fingertip as he wasn't wearing the proper glove (type of chainmail) and bled over several joints which just got rinsed off, and chopped up after by another butcher

AlanB

Trouble is that even supermarkets have been caught changing the "sell by" … Trouble is that even supermarkets have been caught changing the "sell by" dates on meat products displayed on their counters. Otherwise their wastage can be higher than the 'management' will accept.For that reason, I only buy pre-packaged meat from supermarkets, it is much harder for the dates to changed on them.

I used to work in a bakery section of a supermarket and all of the bread at the end of the day was sliced in the morning, an extra days life apparently..... Never buy pre-sliced bread from there

butchers is the best place for quality meat but after that believe it or not it is lidl or Aldi's. actual meat content is much higher than any of the supermarkets.

Original Poster

DLM

How's your back saxo?

Oh much better thanks DLM, bought a new mattress Miracoil 3 Silentnight and just been sitting properly on seats etc instead of slouching that kind of thing

Much better now though, can't believe how bad it was! thanks for asking

harlzter

Morrisons?When I worked there (15 years ago) one of the butchers severed … Morrisons?When I worked there (15 years ago) one of the butchers severed a fingertip as he wasn't wearing the proper glove (type of chainmail) and bled over several joints which just got rinsed off, and chopped up after by another butcher

dont get that at mozzas where i work haha

Cluffy321

dont get that at mozzas where i work haha

Like I said this was 15 years ago, when Morrisons was also one of the most expensive supermarkets out there too.

saxo_appeal

Oh much better thanks DLM, bought a new mattress Miracoil 3 Silentnight … Oh much better thanks DLM, bought a new mattress Miracoil 3 Silentnight and just been sitting properly on seats etc instead of slouching that kind of thingMuch better now though, can't believe how bad it was! thanks for asking

diclofenac is what i use for my back

I always get my meat from the butchers, they never put a sticker on with a best before date though.
I buy what I need for the next couple of days & keep it in the fridge.

Original Poster

Nah I was prescribed Extra Strong Ibuprofen and Cocadramal < something like that

I was on Tramadol....but they spaced me out that much I had to stop taking them

[quotebut they spaced me out that much I had to stop taking them[/quote]

i'll take them off your hands for you (_;)

Original Poster

Haha, there gone now

couldn't possibly leave 2 left in the packet

saxo_appeal

Haha, there gone nowcouldn't possibly leave 2 left in the packet

I take Diclofenac for my back pains, they're quite good tbh. I had Cocodamol and they spaced me out, I went a bit sleepy, then I couldn't sleep and my head was spinning. Was horrible!

Anyway back on topic lol, my local butchers he sells frozen meat, I was buying it as it was quite cheap, I'd defrost them in the fridge overnight and go to use them the next day and they were gone off! I had quite a few like it, so I ended up spending more money buying new meat. I've stopped going there now!

midjet666

I take Diclofenac for my back pains, they're quite good tbh. I had … I take Diclofenac for my back pains, they're quite good tbh. I had Cocodamol and they spaced me out, I went a bit sleepy, then I couldn't sleep and my head was spinning. Was horrible!

i'll take them off your hands as well (_;)

hamza123

i'll take them off your hands as well (_;)

:P they were my mom's so I gave them back lol.

Banned

saxo_appeal

Oh much better thanks DLM, bought a new mattress Miracoil 3 Silentnight … Oh much better thanks DLM, bought a new mattress Miracoil 3 Silentnight and just been sitting properly on seats etc instead of slouching that kind of thingMuch better now though, can't believe how bad it was! thanks for asking

Glad you are feeling better.

I think we got the same mattress yesterday and we both had a good night's sleep.

My posture is terrible and my bf is having physio next weekend after his car accident.

Take it easy x

Cluffy321

dont get that at mozzas

You do at the one I shop in. (not for meat) Even worse when it was Safeway. A lot off what goes on is dependant on the peson handling the food. At least if you buy prepacked you cant see what goes on. If you did I dont think you would ever eat anything ever again.

There's a very simple formula for living healthier and longer................
Do NOT eat any meat that has been processed unless you processed it yourself.

Unprocessed meat actually needs maturing in many cases, often for many weeks and the colour of the meat doesn't really denote freshness, smell, taste and common sense are your best guides.

Plenty of info out there, just needs a bit of research.

Banned

I think meat-free food is the way to go.

DLM

I think meat-free food is the way to go.

But what about BACON!!!!!!!!

Banned

harlzter

But what about BACON!!!!!!!!

What about the PIGS

Original Poster

Meat free meat

errrrrrr lol

DLM

What about the PIGS

They can take an impromptu bath.

Pigs having a bath

saxo_appeal

Meat free meat errrrrrr lol

Who said meat free meat?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Keyboard & Mouse combo (sort of) on Xbox One - Yay or Nay?66
    2. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!1217
    3. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3473
    4. Unlock access to thousands of hidden movies and genres on Netflix using cod…66

See more discussions