Push Ups for 9 year old

Posted 27th Oct
Hi. Just wanted to know how many push-ups a 9 yr old boy should be able to do.

My son is quite active but he isn’t very strong.

I am making him do 3 sets of 20 pushups with a 50 second break in between.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Just let him be, he is just 9. Please don't compare with others / outdated charts and decide how he should be.
"Making him", lol. He's 9 years old, don't be *that* dad, he's just a kid. If he wants to learn how to do push-ups then that's great, but making him do three sets of 20 with a 50 second interval is ridiculous.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 27th Oct
I'd say that's pretty good if he can do them properly. No point doing loads if they're not being done properly.

Also, "making" him...?
Make him?
59 Comments
Can he do that routine with ease or does he struggle?
I'd say that's pretty good if he can do them properly. No point doing loads if they're not being done properly.

Also, "making" him...?
Just let him be, he is just 9. Please don't compare with others / outdated charts and decide how he should be.
Do you tell him to show you his war face too?
Why not see how many you can do and divide that by your age and then multiply that number by your sons age and that should be how many he should do or maybe just let him do what he wants if he enjoys itrather than making him do something
as many as he wants or doesn't lol
I can only imagine the comments if this was posted on Mumsnet.

At nine, kids shouldn't even have an awareness of how they look - but of course, taking care of your body is a good thing at any age.

Are you trying to toughen him up, make him stronger, or is it just about health? Surely running, playing, climbing, getting into a sport or a physical pastime is enough for a boy that age.
Your son is at school. They have access to PE instructors. Try a professional instead of us amateurss.

You could possibly also try RSPCC for some useful tips on 'making him' do this kind of exercise.
Make him?
jayonline8527/10/2019 12:00

Can he do that routine with ease or does he struggle?

He struggles a bit. But I think partly it could be a bit mental block
Is strength important or even necessary for a 9 year old?

If he enjoys doing it then let him do what he wants when he wants but otherwise I wouldn’t be worrying about him doing anything unless he wants to do it professionally, in which case you then need to find the right person ..
MadeDixonsCry27/10/2019 12:02

I'd say that's pretty good if he can do them properly. No point doing …I'd say that's pretty good if he can do them properly. No point doing loads if they're not being done properly. Also, "making" him...?

I agree that it should be done properly.

Making him is for the lack of a better word As far as I am aware kids this age don’t self initiate push ups unless instructed by parents or instructors.

Do you have any suggestions for videos to watch on YouTube
spoo27/10/2019 12:09

Do you tell him to show you his war face too?

That he does by default when doing the exercise
This is going to get interesting.....
louiselouise27/10/2019 12:22

I can only imagine the comments if this was posted on Mumsnet.At nine, …I can only imagine the comments if this was posted on Mumsnet.At nine, kids shouldn't even have an awareness of how they look - but of course, taking care of your body is a good thing at any age.Are you trying to toughen him up, make him stronger, or is it just about health? Surely running, playing, climbing, getting into a sport or a physical pastime is enough for a boy that age.

It’s physical strength. Also his taekwando teacher was mentioning that he needs to build strength too.

He is quite fit.
I suppose this thread is making me consider the difference between "guidance" and "forcefulness" with a child. Men tend to view this differently to women.

Boyf is on a rant about tiger parents and how successful athletes need to make sacrifices and invest their time and energy into goals and motivation to get where they want to be. At the same time, you don't want a damaged adult who says he didn't have a childhood.

Keep your kid, happy, healthy and try to encourage initiative and free expression with the adult/s guiding him, is probably the answer here.
ccnp27/10/2019 12:23

Your son is at school. They have access to PE instructors. Try a …Your son is at school. They have access to PE instructors. Try a professional instead of us amateurss.You could possibly also try RSPCC for some useful tips on 'making him' do this kind of exercise.

Yes I can see many amateurs in here not sticking to the topic.

TBH I am quite grateful to this forum as it helped me find the right martial arts school.

No need to put down others in the forum assuming everyone is like yourself
Westwoodo27/10/2019 12:38

It’s mainly answers which really don’t understand the question and really obtuse answers.

I had to report one suggestion for child abuse and it was rightfully taken off
louiselouise27/10/2019 12:40

I suppose this thread is making me consider the difference between …I suppose this thread is making me consider the difference between "guidance" and "forcefulness" with a child. Men tend to view this differently to women.Boyf is on a rant about tiger parents and how successful athletes need to make sacrifices and invest their time and energy into goals and motivation to get where they want to be. At the same time, you don't want a damaged adult who says he didn't have a childhood.Keep your kid, happy, healthy and try to encourage initiative and free expression with the adult/s guiding him, is probably the answer here.

Kid is happy. Better not to assume. It’s also best to stick to the question and not go off tangent
Muscle strength builds up gradually over weeks. World record is 4000 push ups for a 7 year old (Youtube), so 20's is doable easily unless there is some physical impairment.
adamnsu27/10/2019 12:43

Kid is happy. Better not to assume. It’s also best to stick to the q …Kid is happy. Better not to assume. It’s also best to stick to the question and not go off tangent

Woah - I didn't "accuse" you of anything, I avoid personal opinion as best I can when I reply on a forum. I was trying to be helpful.

To be honest, if your child is into marital arts, a Deals forum isn't the best place to get opinions and your original post has no background/is very vague. I thought my "tangent" was a relevant one, as it's about the mindset of someone into sports.

You did state "I am making him.." so, naturally, people may put arms and legs on that statement, without further context.

Btw, my best friend through school was into karate and one of the youngest in the country to get to the level she was at as a young teen. But she HATED it and was forced into doing it by her (as I see her now as an adult) manipulative and very bossy mother. So the child has to want to do it. Once the parental guidance/influence goes, what's left?

But I agree with instilling discipline, focussing on goals and helping guide wellbeing with a child. Ultimately they decide for themselves when they reach adulthood.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 27th Oct
splender27/10/2019 12:44

Muscle strength builds up gradually over weeks. World record is 4000 push …Muscle strength builds up gradually over weeks. World record is 4000 push ups for a 7 year old (Youtube), so 20's is doable easily unless there is some physical impairment.

Thanks. Finally something on topic. I am not trying anywhere near the 4K mark. I just wanted to know if there is bare minimum
Edited by: "adamnsu" 27th Oct
Again. An amateur giving their opinion but always heard if trying to build strength at that age this is the max you should consider. I.E stay away from gym or weights as negative effects on the body out weigh the good when still developing. Assuming this extends to over doing reps or sets too? Good luck to him at Taekwondo. Wish I had stuck with it as a child, great way to develop movement of the body and footwork in basis for other sports etc.
Rusting2bits27/10/2019 12:55

Again. An amateur giving their opinion but always heard if trying to build …Again. An amateur giving their opinion but always heard if trying to build strength at that age this is the max you should consider. I.E stay away from gym or weights as negative effects on the body out weigh the good when still developing. Assuming this extends to over doing reps or sets too? Good luck to him at Taekwondo. Wish I had stuck with it as a child, great way to develop movement of the body and footwork in basis for other sports etc.

I also heard that gym weights was not good too.

I had some people guide me here when choosing martial arts. Some warned me of Mckdojoos which he was doing a trial at the time for kungfu.

I think martial arts is essential for children especially girls. TBH at his class the best fighters are the girls.
"Making him", lol. He's 9 years old, don't be *that* dad, he's just a kid. If he wants to learn how to do push-ups then that's great, but making him do three sets of 20 with a 50 second interval is ridiculous.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 27th Oct
adamnsu27/10/2019 12:59

I also heard that gym weights was not good too. I had some people guide me …I also heard that gym weights was not good too. I had some people guide me here when choosing martial arts. Some warned me of Mckdojoos which he was doing a trial at the time for kungfu. I think martial arts is essential for children especially girls. TBH at his class the best fighters are the girls.

Haha, yes. Especially at that age into early teens. Got my arse whooped by the girls in the classes quite often.
adamnsu27/10/2019 12:42

It’s mainly answers which really don’t understand the question and really o …It’s mainly answers which really don’t understand the question and really obtuse answers.I had to report one suggestion for child abuse and it was rightfully taken off

It's a public domain, questions like this always end up being aggressive.
adamnsu27/10/2019 12:33

He struggles a bit. But I think partly it could be a bit mental block

I just noticed the comment about the mental block. He probably has a "mental block" because his little muscles are aching and wants to stop but is scared to tell you that because he thinks you'll be disappointed in him. What are you trying to do, mould him into something just so you can say to people "Look what a little strong warrior I've produced!".
Haircut_10027/10/2019 12:59

"Making him", lol. He's 9 years old, don't be *that* dad, he's just a kid. …"Making him", lol. He's 9 years old, don't be *that* dad, he's just a kid. If he wants to learn how to do push-ups then that's great, but making him do three sets of 20 with a 50 second interval is ridiculous.

Too late. He's quite obviously made up his mind of his correctness.
Haircut_10027/10/2019 13:26

I just noticed the comment about the mental block. He probably has a …I just noticed the comment about the mental block. He probably has a "mental block" because his little muscles are aching and wants to stop but is scared to tell you that because he thinks you'll be disappointed in him. What are you trying to do, mould him into something just so you can say to people "Look what a little strong warrior I've produced!".

Rather suspect you are right
No idea but I done a lot including jogging, swimming, karate, press ups, sit ups many other things when I was about that age. People on here going on like it's abuse is laughable. You should let him do how much he can, then add a few more when you see it's getting harder for him. If he really struggles he should stop. You shouldn't compare to other kids, there's always others that can do a lot more because they are stronger.
Edited by: "MR1123" 27th Oct
Westwoodo27/10/2019 13:19

It's a public domain, questions like this always end up being aggressive.

I agree. Quite a lot of self righteous people in here. Probably if their parents had made them do push ups when they were younger
Haircut_10027/10/2019 13:26

I just noticed the comment about the mental block. He probably has a …I just noticed the comment about the mental block. He probably has a "mental block" because his little muscles are aching and wants to stop but is scared to tell you that because he thinks you'll be disappointed in him. What are you trying to do, mould him into something just so you can say to people "Look what a little strong warrior I've produced!".

Again assumptions are wrong. I am not a slave driver which you and some people are making me out to be.

To be honest someone asked which is why I responded.
MR112327/10/2019 13:47

No idea but I done a lot including jogging, swimming, karate, press ups, …No idea but I done a lot including jogging, swimming, karate, press ups, sit ups many other things when I was about that age. People on here going on like it's abuse is laughable. You should let him do how much he can, then add a few more when you see it's getting harder for him. If he really struggles he should stop. You shouldn't compare to other kids, there's always others that can do a lot more because they are stronger.

Do you recall how many push ups you did
adamnsu27/10/2019 14:52

I agree. Quite a lot of self righteous people in here. Probably if their …I agree. Quite a lot of self righteous people in here. Probably if their parents had made them do push ups when they were younger

I think the way you phrased the original comment of “make him do” might have a lot to
do with responses you have got.

I’m sure there are much better forums to ask this type of question than a deals website.

Surely a fitness forum would produce much more useful replies.
Westwoodo27/10/2019 12:38

Came for the comments, wasn't disappointed. that poor child.....
adamnsu27/10/2019 12:51

Thanks. Finally something on topic. I am not trying anywhere near the 4K …Thanks. Finally something on topic. I am not trying anywhere near the 4K mark. I just wanted to know if there is bare minimum

the bare minimum is 0, he is 9 years old. he can go eat mud in the garden and climb a tree and that should be just fine....
cache27/10/2019 15:04

the bare minimum is 0, he is 9 years old. he can go eat mud in the garden …the bare minimum is 0, he is 9 years old. he can go eat mud in the garden and climb a tree and that should be just fine....

Seems like you are the poor kid if your Father made you do that sir. Your suggestions don’t seem fine at all
louiselouise27/10/2019 12:48

To be honest, if your child is into marital arts

Different type of push ups
adamnsu27/10/2019 15:05

Seems like you are the poor kid if your Father made you do that sir

the point of my comment, is that the child should be choosing, not you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants