Put your loose change to good use at Morrisons

Found 29th May 2011
Hi guys,

Not a deal per-se, more a money saving tip. I think the going rate for those copper change machines in other supermarkets (coinstar?) is about 9%.

Morrisons self serve checkouts have a conveyor-belt bucket which you can tip your shrapnel into, meaning you can pay for stuff with your 2s and 1s. It can take a little bit of time feeding it all in there but in the spirit of saving money its worth it. (Granted you could bag it and take it to the bank, this might be less hassle tho).

Hope it helps someone!

morrisons.co.uk
Community Updates
Misc
22 Comments
i went into natwest and they had a machine that counts it for you like the supermarkets, very very cool if you dont want to look like a boob..
I love counting up my coppers and taking them to the bank, it's part of the fun!!!
realblender

wont banks accept buckets of coins? it is money afterall. I use to to … wont banks accept buckets of coins? it is money afterall. I use to to that with my paddington moneybox when i was 6 and make the lady count it infront of me.

Some banks have a limit on the number of bags of coins you can deposit. Haven't done it for a long time but I use to find that local market traders were always keen to exchange a few bags for notes as they tend to always need 1 and 2 pence coins.

Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 29th May 2011
I always use all my small change up in Tescos at the self service tills.
simplyjimbo

Some banks have a limit on the number of bags of coins you can deposit. … Some banks have a limit on the number of bags of coins you can deposit. Haven't done it for a long time but I use to find that local market traders were always keen to exchange a few bags for notes as they tend to always need 1 and 2 pence coins.

My local corner shop says the same.
realblender

wont banks accept buckets of coins? it is money afterall. I use to to … wont banks accept buckets of coins? it is money afterall. I use to to that with my paddington moneybox when i was 6 and make the lady count it infront of me.

Not any more for 'normal' customers - there's not enough staff for them to do this. That said, I pay in a bucket of bagged-up coins once a year for a charity account, although I have to leave it at the bank so that they can count it when they have a spare minute or two (or twenty or thirty!)
cis_groupie

Not any more for 'normal' customers - there's not enough staff for them … Not any more for 'normal' customers - there's not enough staff for them to do this. That said, I pay in a bucket of bagged-up coins once a year for a charity account, although I have to leave it at the bank so that they can count it when they have a spare minute or two (or twenty or thirty!)

I didnt think they counted it once it was bagged up, thought they just weighed each bag ( well they used to ! )
The local banks around my area years ago would make me count all my change myself before serving me, I just take it to the coinstar things if I have loads of change.
shopstilldrops

I didnt think they counted it once it was bagged up, thought they just … I didnt think they counted it once it was bagged up, thought they just weighed each bag ( well they used to ! )

Correct, they weigh the full bags, but there's still loose change to count, and as I pay in a couple of thousand pounds' worth of coins there's a few bags to weigh!
cis_groupie

Correct, they weigh the full bags, but there's still loose change to … Correct, they weigh the full bags, but there's still loose change to count, and as I pay in a couple of thousand pounds' worth of coins there's a few bags to weigh!

WOW........2k, that must take some time to weigh !!........how the hell do you get it all to the bank as that must be some weight ?
Jesus cis, do you break a twenty and throw all of the shrapnel in a bucket?!

Banned
The utter shame of being that poor would prevent me taking your advice.
Banned
Only use my card these days, thought that was the same for everyone?
Banned
master_chief

Only use my card these days, thought that was the same for everyone?

Some poor people aren't allowed cards.
Copper is only legal tender up to 20p, shops don't have to take any more than that legally.

Google coinage act
vibeone

The utter shame of being that poor would prevent me taking your advice.

or the shame of the queue building up behind you
2k in coins weighs a ton! We have to split it into a few buckets & pull up right outside the bank lol!
cis_groupie

2k in coins weighs a ton! We have to split it into a few buckets & pull … 2k in coins weighs a ton! We have to split it into a few buckets & pull up right outside the bank lol!

It has to be for a business of something, a small pub would get £1000 in change for a normal busy night.
sainsburys and tesco self serve also take shrapnel
pinkleponkle

sainsburys and tesco self serve also take shrapnel

At a much slower rate if I remeber? I know our ASDA takes coins one by one, think Tesco has a dish that collects the coins - but Morrisons is much more efficient for coinage.
they both just have a trough you pour in and it counts, fairly efficient
Ah - your branches of Tesco and Asds must have different machines to mine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants