Expired

Putting screw into external brick wall

Found 31st Mar 2013
One of the clip holding the drain pipe at the front of my house has become loose so I need to screw it back in.

I normally drill a hole in the brick, insert a raw plug and then screw into the raw plug.

Is there a simpler way to do this? Can I just screw the screw straight into the brick without the raw plug? Perhaps I may need a special screw if I don't use a raw plug?

40 Comments

So, the hole is already there then......

mutley1

One of the clip holding the drain pipe at the front of my house has … One of the clip holding the drain pipe at the front of my house has become loose so I need to screw it back in.I normally drill a hole in the brick, insert a raw plug and then screw into the raw plug.Is there a simpler way to do this? Can I just screw the screw straight into the brick without the raw plug? Perhaps I may need a special screw if I don't use a raw plug?

The best way is probably using a raw plug, but you can buy specific self tapping masonry screws which dont need a plug, but ive never used them so not sure how good they'd be?

Rawlplug not raw plug.

simpler than a screw in a rawl plug in a hole?

Just replace the screw in the existing clip, into the existing hole, using a new rawlplug if necessary.

Bobbajob

Just replace the screw in the existing clip, into the existing hole, … Just replace the screw in the existing clip, into the existing hole, using a new rawlplug if necessary.

Oh now, come on.... you are now talking "rocket science.... that's not what someone would think of doing

What kind of fixing you need will depend on the condition of the existing hole. If the bracket has come loose, it's possible the hole has crumbled and widened.

Another alternative is to get a 375mm long M16 threaded bar and two M16 nuts.

Drill a 20mm hole through your wall in line with the drainpipe clip, push the threaded rod through the hole leaving approximately 50mm inside and outside to attach the nuts. The drainpipe will never move again.
Edited by: "Bobbajob" 31st Mar 2013

Cook the plug or you will be sick. Or use sushi

Banned

brilly

simpler than a screw in a rawl plug in a hole?

+1

I really dont believe now that mutleys is a property developer with a portfolio oO

ceres

What kind of fixing you need will depend on the condition of the existing … What kind of fixing you need will depend on the condition of the existing hole. If the bracket has come loose, it's possible the hole has crumbled and widened.

That's what's happened to the drainpipe on my house too,it's very loose,the holes are now too big for the screws,I don't know how to fix it & my OH hasn't taken the hint X)

I cannot believe that people actually need advice on how to fix a clip to a wall.. oO

Banned

deb8z

That's what's happened to the drainpipe on my house too,it's very … That's what's happened to the drainpipe on my house too,it's very loose,the holes are now too big for the screws,I don't know how to fix it & my OH hasn't taken the hint X)

just fill the holes and move bracket down two inches and drill and fix

5 minute job

My OH is lazy & I don't like power tools

Inactive

I cannot believe that people actually need advice on how to fix a clip to … I cannot believe that people actually need advice on how to fix a clip to a wall.. oO

Sellotape it !

deb8z

My OH is lazy & I don't like power tools

I guess its not all power tools (_;)

Original Poster

ceres

What kind of fixing you need will depend on the condition of the existing … What kind of fixing you need will depend on the condition of the existing hole. If the bracket has come loose, it's possible the hole has crumbled and widened.

this. the fact that it has come away from the wall means that the original holes are no longer useable so I will have to fix it to different holes.

i have to get a high ladder so i will be up high hence my reluctance to drill new hole and raw plug. but it looks like the general consensus is that there is nothing simpler than the raw plug.

Just stick a bit of wood in the hole and a bigger screw...job done

Inactive

I cannot believe that people actually need advice on how to fix a clip to … I cannot believe that people actually need advice on how to fix a clip to a wall.. oO

Mutley needs advice on how to tie his shoe laces

Original Poster

gr8h8me

Just stick a bit of wood in the hole and a bigger screw...job done

this sounds like a good idea. i will do this.

people are so cynical about there being no simpler way than raw plug. guess here is one heh?

Original Poster

moob

Mutley needs advice on how to tie his shoe laces

which is why i never tie me laces. i just wear slip on.

Banned

mutley1

this sounds like a good idea. i will do this.people are so cynical about … this sounds like a good idea. i will do this.people are so cynical about there being no simpler way than raw plug. guess here is one heh?

you still have to use a rawlplug alongside the wood lol

cowboy repair if you ask me as the wood will rot so you will be re-doing it properly in a few years tops!

Just drill two holes, insert 2 plugs and 2 screws - 10 minutes work including getting the ladder out! oO

mutley1

this sounds like a good idea. i will do this.people are so cynical about … this sounds like a good idea. i will do this.people are so cynical about there being no simpler way than raw plug. guess here is one heh?

Thats how i put my patio doors in smashed in chocks of wood !

Original Poster

csiman

you still have to use a rawlplug alongside the wood lolcowboy repair if … you still have to use a rawlplug alongside the wood lolcowboy repair if you ask me as the wood will rot so you will be re-doing it properly in a few years tops!Just drill two holes, insert 2 plugs and 2 screws - 10 minutes work including getting the ladder out! oO

will certainly look at this. i need to inspect the holes first as i haven't climbed up there yet.

mutley1

No. If you use the corrext size and type of plug, it will fit in the hole with no messing around. If you want to put wood in the hole (why?), you have to find the correct type of wood, cut it to the correct size and work out a way to stop it turning with the screw. Simple huh?

Original Poster

ceres

No. If you use the corrext size and type of plug, it will fit in the … No. If you use the corrext size and type of plug, it will fit in the hole with no messing around. If you want to put wood in the hole (why?), you have to find the correct type of wood, cut it to the correct size and work out a way to stop it turning with the screw. Simple huh?

what you say does make sense.

Banned

Are you suddenly Nick1981 in disguise OP?

Original Poster

dimebars

Are you suddenly Nick1981 in disguise OP?

what traits do you spot we have in common?

Banned

I have a feeling letting Mutley loose with one of those might be big mistake! oO

Have you got any No Nails?

Original Poster

termite

Have you got any No Nails?

yes. will this work outdoors?

Original Poster

ceres

I have a feeling letting Mutley loose with one of those might be big … I have a feeling letting Mutley loose with one of those might be big mistake! oO

loose with what? a drill or a ladder?

mutley1

loose with what? a drill or a ladder?

With the implement september_boy linked to in the post I replied to - that's the one immediately above my last post.

Original Poster

ceres

With the implement september_boy linked to in the post I replied to - … With the implement september_boy linked to in the post I replied to - that's the one immediately above my last post.

i would never pay £300 for a drill.

Replace the brick for one with pre drilled holes.
It's the only way.

Original Poster

g1bbuk

Replace the brick for one with pre drilled holes.It's the only way.

this sounds a bit ott to me. X)

september_boy

job done

My wife got hold of my nail gun. Put it to her finger, and pulled the trigger.
I still can't quite make my mind up as whether it's a good or bad thing it was unplugged at the time.
Some folk only learn lessons the hard way oO
Edited by: "gizmouk" 2nd Apr 2013

mutley1

i would never pay £300 for a drill.

It's not a drill. If you can't tell the difference, that's a pretty good clue that you shouldn't be allowed near one.

Original Poster

ceres

It's not a drill. If you can't tell the difference, that's a pretty good … It's not a drill. If you can't tell the difference, that's a pretty good clue that you shouldn't be allowed near one.

good point. X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions