Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Putting the fridge and the freezer in the garage

Posted 5th Feb
Anyone put the fridge or the freezer into the garage before and can let me know if the appliances work?

I read that fridges and freezers do not work well in the garage when the temperature plunges.

The location is London so the temperature is not like Scotland for example, but could still get pretty cold in the winter.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Willy_Wonka05/02/2020 19:57

Could you expand for Mutley please.

I just don't get why you would ask a question like this. It's so obviously a question for Google.

I would think expanding for Mutley is the last thing on @deeky 's mind

Sorry for lowering the tone but seriously, some of his questions are very questionable
"inb4" the "Putting the fridge and the freezer in the garage in Spring/Summer/Autumn/next Winter" threads.

Also see: [ hotukdeals.com/com…815 ]
60 Comments
I have a beko freezer which is approved for use in a garage.
We have our Samsung American fridge/freezer in our utility room (basically about a third of the garage that the previous owners blocked off). There is a radiator there but there’s no insulation in it so still gets very chilly in winter and we’ve never had any problems.
Also my parents have always kept their freezer in the garage since I was little (30 odd years) and the original cheap one in there must have been 25 years old before they got rid of it.
Edited by: "ytfc_nick" 5th Feb
You have to look at each fridges/freezers capacity to work in the temperature ranges. Some will work in extreme temperatures some will not. Only the manual will help you which you should be able to download a PDF online.
You can buy freezers designed for use in a garage....
We've just bought a Logic chest freezer for the garage & it has this sticker on it. 39843768-V7t7x.jpg
I don't see why they wouldn't work at normal UK winter Temps, is purely a heat exchange system anyway, they're more likely to struggle in a very hot summer...
Edited by: "DingIs" 5th Feb
DingIs05/02/2020 19:24

I don't see why they wouldn't work at normal UK winter Temps, is purely a …I don't see why they wouldn't work at normal UK winter Temps, is purely a heat exchange system anyway, they're more likely to struggle in a very hot summer...

Funnily enough a lot cannot cope with low temperatures because they are built for kitchens which tend to be warm by nature & house thermostats that have frost protectors on heating systems so the temperature never goes below 6 or 7 degrees I think.
I have my logik chest freezer is an unheated outbuilding, never been an issue, maybe if we had minus 10 temps for days at a time it could be an issue but not had a winter like that for many years.
Willy_Wonka05/02/2020 19:30

Funnily enough a lot cannot cope with low temperatures because they are …Funnily enough a lot cannot cope with low temperatures because they are built for kitchens which tend to be warm by nature & house thermostats that have frost protectors on heating systems so the temperature never goes below 6 or 7 degrees I think.

I had normal chest freezers and fridges freezers in an unheated external non insulated garage for years, even through the bad winters years ago and no problems. My parents live up the dales and have theirs in outbuildings which get hit with real bad weather and no issues. I've never actually heard of one ever being a problem..
Edited by: "DingIs" 5th Feb
i had provided a fridge and a separate freezer in the kitchen. they are not special appliances designed for external use, just beko appliances. the tenants have bought a new fridge to replace my one, which was smaller. they have moved their fridge to the garage along with my small beko freezer out there.

i would like to know how likely is my freezer going to break down if it is used in the garage so i can work out if i am going to maintain it going forward or tell them they are going to be responsible for the fridge and the freezer going forward as they have moved the appliances into the garage.
DingIs05/02/2020 19:47

I had normal chest freezers and fridges freezers in an unheated external …I had normal chest freezers and fridges freezers in an unheated external non insulated garage for years, even through the bad winters years ago and no problems. My parents live up the dales and have theirs in outbuildings which get hit with real bad weather and no issues. I've never actually heard of one ever being a problem..

It is true that it is a reasonably common problem. They all have operating temperatures & some are not designed for temperatures below frost stat temperatures. So about 5 degrees or lower. It was all over the press & consumer rights programs at the time the issue first came about.

I don't see why they wouldn't work at normal UK winter Temps, is purely a …I don't see why they wouldn't work at normal UK winter Temps, is purely a heat exchange system anyway, they're more likely to struggle in a very hot summer...

Some modern refrigerant gas become very ineffective at low temps, hence if a cooling appliance is capable of working in a low ambient temperature environment the manufacturer will normally be shouting about it as a marketing benefit.
deeky05/02/2020 19:51

Oooh, lookie here

AndyRoyd05/02/2020 19:51

Some modern refrigerant gas become very ineffective at low temps, hence if …Some modern refrigerant gas become very ineffective at low temps, hence if a cooling appliance is capable of working in a low ambient temperature environment the manufacturer will normally be shouting about it as a marketing benefit.

Bring back CFCs!!!!

I just don't get why you would ask a question like this. It's so obviously a question for Google.
deeky05/02/2020 20:02

I just don't get why you would ask a question like this. It's so obviously …I just don't get why you would ask a question like this. It's so obviously a question for Google.

Of course it is. I tried to explain in my first post that every appliance is different & look at the specifications. I remember when the media discovered that some fridges & freezers fail when it was cold. It was a massive joke at the time.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 5th Feb
It’s hard to find information, my FF (I thought was cold room compatible) says, as per picture.
39844526-uWa4Z.jpg
what the manufacturer states would always be on the cautious side. what i want to know is actual experience from people putting their normal fridge or freezer out in the garage and whether it broke or it worked anyway irrespective of what the user guide recommends.
AndyRoyd05/02/2020 19:51

Some modern refrigerant gas become very ineffective at low temps, hence if …Some modern refrigerant gas become very ineffective at low temps, hence if a cooling appliance is capable of working in a low ambient temperature environment the manufacturer will normally be shouting about it as a marketing benefit.

Absolute rubish
mutley105/02/2020 20:46

what the manufacturer states would always be on the cautious side. what i …what the manufacturer states would always be on the cautious side. what i want to know is actual experience from people putting their normal fridge or freezer out in the garage and whether it broke or it worked anyway irrespective of what the user guide recommends.

A seperate fridge or seperate freezer would work fine, a combined fridge freezer with 2 thermostats would work but a fridge freezer with just 1 thermostat wouldn't as the freezer section would defrost if the ambient temperature was lower than the temperature the fridge is set to. Most fridge freezers are single thermostat models.
Edited by: "paulj48" 5th Feb
paulj4805/02/2020 21:05

A seperate fridge or seperate freezer would work fine, a combined fridge …A seperate fridge or seperate freezer would work fine, a combined fridge freezer with 2 thermostats would work but a fridge freezer with just 1 thermostat wouldn't as the freezer section would defrost if the ambient temperature was lower than the temperature the fridge is set to. Most fridge freezers are single thermostat models.

Hi paulj48. That is not true either. Separate fridges & freezers are also subject to design. You cannot simply say a fridge or freezer OR fridgefreezer will work or will not work without looking at the specifications of each model.

Just have a look at currys website & many of each state not suitable for outbuildings.
richp05/02/2020 19:20

We've just bought a Logic chest freezer for the garage & it has this …We've just bought a Logic chest freezer for the garage & it has this sticker on it. [Image]

It is normally only chest freezers that have this grading

OP needs to find the Freezer climate class of the 'not special appliance'. Nearly all UK freezers will be SN class which are designed to operate between 10-32°C. The extra running costs will be borne by the unfortunate tenants if these appliances are moved to the garage area and could also be a health hazard if food is not being kept at the correct temp.

If OP has not kitted out the kitchen to provide a reasonable sized freezer for the number of occupants this is where the real issue lies. Rogue landlords are a scourge on society, and perhaps it is time for the OP to reassess the situation in an empathetic manner rather than trying to enforce unrealistic draconian measures on the poor tenants.

I propose the correct procedure would be for the OP to supply a new freezer for the garage. It will cost them though, as non chest freezers capable of running in a 'normal' fashion below the SN temp range are few and far between.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 5th Feb
mutley105/02/2020 19:51

i would like to know how likely is my freezer going to break down if it is …i would like to know how likely is my freezer going to break down if it is used in the garage so i can work out if i am going to maintain it going forward or tell them they are going to be responsible for the fridge and the freezer going forward as they have moved the appliances into the garage.

Can you state the actual model number so that members can help you better?
deeky05/02/2020 20:02

I just don't get why you would ask a question like this. It's so obviously …I just don't get why you would ask a question like this. It's so obviously a question for Google.

I don't trust Google. Do you?
Step 1: Determine model that you have
Step 2: Google operating temperature for model. If no luck, proceed to step 3.
Step 3: Put this into google and find manual
Step 4: Read operating temperature
mutley105/02/2020 20:46

what the manufacturer states would always be on the cautious side. what i …what the manufacturer states would always be on the cautious side. what i want to know is actual experience from people putting their normal fridge or freezer out in the garage and whether it broke or it worked anyway irrespective of what the user guide recommends.

It will work outside the advised guideline to an extent, however it will be inefficient and cost you more (as well as shorten the lifespan). You are better off buying one that works in the range where you are going to use it.

I would think expanding for Mutley is the last thing on @deeky 's mind

Sorry for lowering the tone but seriously, some of his questions are very questionable
Willy_Wonka05/02/2020 21:17

Hi paulj48. That is not true either. Separate fridges & freezers are also …Hi paulj48. That is not true either. Separate fridges & freezers are also subject to design. You cannot simply say a fridge or freezer OR fridgefreezer will work or will not work without looking at the specifications of each model. Just have a look at currys website & many of each state not suitable for outbuildings.

Well I disagree, an appliance with R600a which most if not all UK appliances use will be fine.

We have a fridge in our garage and it doesn’t work in the cold... it’s colder in the garage than inside the fridge. It’s not that it breaks down, it’s just not cold as it should be.

However it has been going for about fifteen years. It hasn’t reduced the life of the fridge, but we wouldn’t put anything important in it when very cold. It’s no problem when it’s warm again and this year we’ve had no issues.
Edited by: "choccie32" 5th Feb
paulj4805/02/2020 21:32

Well I disagree, an appliance with R600a which most if not all UK …Well I disagree, an appliance with R600a which most if not all UK appliances use will be fine.

How can you disagree with the specific manufacturers instructions of use? They are the ones that tested their appliances? And concluded they do not work under certain conditions. That is just silly.
Willy_Wonka05/02/2020 21:35

How can you disagree with the specific manufacturers instructions of use? …How can you disagree with the specific manufacturers instructions of use? They are the ones that tested their appliances? And concluded they do not work under certain conditions. That is just silly.

The only risk is if the ambient temperature freezes the food in the fridge, thats the reason the manufacturers states they're not suitable for an outbuilding.
paulj4805/02/2020 21:45

The only risk is if the ambient temperature freezes the food in the …The only risk is if the ambient temperature freezes the food in the fridge, thats the reason the manufacturers states they're not suitable for an outbuilding.

OK. So if they launched an XBox & they state not for use in environments outside the temperature of 18-20 degrees celsius would you buy it? No you wouldn't. These appliances are said to prone to fail by the very people that manufacture them & you believe they will be ok? Good luck with your claim when you want your money back & haven't used them in accordance with instructions. But it is not just the instructions, the categorically state at the point of sale that they are not suitable for outbuildings.
it would sound from all the comments that the fridge and the freezer will work fine in the garage, which was why the tenants moved them there. new tenants have moved in and they said they want to keep them there as they want to put a dining table into the kitchen. it sounds like they may not work as efficiently as they would do if they were in the kitchen but nonetheless they will work fine to some degree.

i am going to allow the tenants to keep the appliances in the garage but as a precaution, i am not going to replace them if they break down. the tenants will have to buy their own, which the previous tenants had done for the fridge.
OllieSt05/02/2020 21:21

It is normally only chest freezers that have this gradingOP needs to find …It is normally only chest freezers that have this gradingOP needs to find the Freezer climate class of the 'not special appliance'. Nearly all UK freezers will be SN class which are designed to operate between 10-32°C. The extra running costs will be borne by the unfortunate tenants if these appliances are moved to the garage area and could also be a health hazard if food is not being kept at the correct temp.If OP has not kitted out the kitchen to provide a reasonable sized freezer for the number of occupants this is where the real issue lies. Rogue landlords are a scourge on society, and perhaps it is time for the OP to reassess the situation in an empathetic manner rather than trying to enforce unrealistic draconian measures on the poor tenants.I propose the correct procedure would be for the OP to supply a new freezer for the garage. It will cost them though, as non chest freezers capable of running in a 'normal' fashion below the SN temp range are few and far between.

Right, as a landlord I will correct your point....

If the landlord provides a "white good" then it is up to the landlord to ensure that the item is situated in the correct place and suitable for that place.

The kitchen.

The Tenants are obligated to look after that appliance and use it within the constraints of normal usage. Which will include defrosting if necessary, cleaning, and keeping it in the correct place.

The kitchen.

Moving out of to an unsuitable place, such as the garage in this case, then the tenant has breached the terms of the let.

The tenant will then have NO recourse over the landlord for that item, its maintenance or replacement.

The landlord will actually have grounds to remove the item completely, charge the tenant for removal/replacement/repair for not complying with the tenancy agreement.

They may even have grounds to give notice to the tenant for breach of contract.

The real issue is the tenant has not complied with the tenancy agreement.

The answer, imho as a 20 year landlord of multiple priorities, is for the landlord and tenant to mutually agree to a variation in the contract, whereby the tenant "gives up" the freezer as they no longer require/want it.

Any suggestion that the landlord is responsible for a tenant damaging goods (re-siting it to an unsuitable location) or replacing with a different freezer " just because" is frankly ridiculous.
"inb4" the "Putting the fridge and the freezer in the garage in Spring/Summer/Autumn/next Winter" threads.

Also see: [ hotukdeals.com/com…815 ]
DingIs05/02/2020 22:17

Right, as a landlord I will correct your point....If the landlord provides …Right, as a landlord I will correct your point....If the landlord provides a "white good" then it is up to the landlord to ensure that the item is situated in the correct place and suitable for that place. The kitchen.The Tenants are obligated to look after that appliance and use it within the constraints of normal usage. Which will include defrosting if necessary, cleaning, and keeping it in the correct place. The kitchen.Moving out of to an unsuitable place, such as the garage in this case, then the tenant has breached the terms of the let.The tenant will then have NO recourse over the landlord for that item, its maintenance or replacement.The landlord will actually have grounds to remove the item completely, charge the tenant for removal/replacement/repair for not complying with the tenancy agreement.They may even have grounds to give notice to the tenant for breach of contract.The real issue is the tenant has not complied with the tenancy agreement.The answer, imho as a 20 year landlord of multiple priorities, is for the landlord and tenant to mutually agree to a variation in the contract, whereby the tenant "gives up" the freezer as they no longer require/want it.Any suggestion that the landlord is responsible for a tenant damaging goods (re-siting it to an unsuitable location) or replacing with a different freezer " just because" is frankly ridiculous.

yes, the tenants do not have the right to move the appliances into the garage so they could put in a dining table. the property has a dining room and that is where they should be eating! the kitchen is a big kitchen and it actually can also accommodate a dining table but the fridge and freezer that i had provided were sited under the kitchen worktop. they did not like the small fridge and wanted a tall standing one and they wanted more cupboard space so they took the appliances out and moved them to the garage next door, which has a door into the kitchen.

they are aware that they shouldn't have done this so they never told me about it and they replaced the fridge themselves as they knew it was their responsibility.

i don't often visit rental properties unless something comes up that needs my presence and so i was not aware of this until they moved out and new tenants moved in. i told the new tenants that the appliances will need to be moved back into the kitchen but they have asked if they can keep the appliances there as they also want to put a dining table into the kitchen and want the extra cupboard space.

i am going to tell them that they can do so but that i am not going to replace the appliances if they break.
mutley105/02/2020 22:25

yes, the tenants do not have the right to move the appliances into the …yes, the tenants do not have the right to move the appliances into the garage so they could put in a dining table. the property has a dining room and that is where they should be eating! the kitchen is a big kitchen and it actually can also accommodate a dining table but the fridge and freezer that i had provided were sited under the kitchen worktop. they did not like the small fridge and wanted a tall standing one and they wanted more cupboard space so they took the appliances out and moved them to the garage next door, which has a door into the kitchen.they are aware that they shouldn't have done this so they never told me about it and they replaced the fridge themselves as they knew it was their responsibility.i don't often visit rental properties unless something comes up that needs my presence and so i was not aware of this until they moved out and new tenants moved in. i told the new tenants that the appliances will need to be moved back into the kitchen but they have asked if they can keep the appliances there as they also want to put a dining table into the kitchen and want the extra cupboard space.i am going to tell them that they can do so but that i am not going to replace the appliances if they break.

Why did you not inspect the property before the old tenants moved out?

PS. Don't forget to stress to the new tenants that they should be eating in the dining room.

People with their own opinions, eh?

Let them get away with eating where they want to & they'll eventually get the silly notion about wanting to live in their own property.

The fools.
tregs05/02/2020 21:25

Can you state the actual model number so that members can help you better?

^ This.
deleted1781205/02/2020 22:32

Why did you not inspect the property before the old tenants moved out?PS. …Why did you not inspect the property before the old tenants moved out?PS. Don't forget to stress to the new tenants that they should be eating in the dining room.People with their own opinions, eh?Let them get away with eating where they want to & they'll eventually get the silly notion about wanting to live in their own property.The fools.

i only inspect properties after tenants have moved out when i go over to do the inventory check. i can not tell them where they should be eating, that is up to them!

people can be very weird. they left the dining room empty and used the kitchen instead! the new tenants are going to be the same. my tenants seem to have a dislike for dining rooms!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants