Groups

Putting together a Christmas playlist

What is your must have song, I'm keen to find great but slightly less common songs. But if it's Wham or Mariah, that's fine too. This is for school, so must be clean!

63 Comments

fairytale of NY is out then?
    gotta be on there - it's a classic

Happy Christmas (War is Over) - John Lennon
    It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas - ?
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Bruce Springsteen version
    Dominick, The Italian Christmas Donkey - Lou Monte (heard this for first time a couple years ago)

Mary's Boy Child - Boney M

Original Poster

arcangel111

fairytale of NY is out then?gotta be on there - it's a classic

It will be. I wear a parental advisory badge, so I should be ok.

Frosty The Snowman - Jackson 5

gotta love Christmas songs

In Dulci Jubilo - Mike Oldfield .. to throw a random one in there for you

Original Poster

Cheesey stuff Arc!

I like Must be Santa - Bob Dylan.
    the River ( as played by Simon Mayo) yesterday - Joni Mitchell.
    2000 miles - the Pretenders

Original Poster

I feel a wholistic approach to my teaching is required. So I asked all the kids regardless of faith or none to join in...got Let it Snow by Dean Mmartin and Santa Baby by Kylie off two kids.

Banned

1- Please, Daddy (Don't Get Drunk on Christmas)

2- Back Door Santa

3- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

3 must listen to tracks at Christmas

Original Poster

I don't know the first one. Cheers.

Fairytale of NY is out then? gotta be on there - it's a classic

Remember there are two versions (excluding covers) as you know of The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl song. The original version with the words Sc**bag, you F**got was replaced in later releases for general audience. Although the original played on the television and radio for a number of years.

This is for school, so must be clean!

Damn so the Australian comedian Kevin Wilson's Christmas Song is out then? ;):p (see You Tube)

The best and easiest way to compile a list is start with an album such as That's what I call Christmas for guidance.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 10th Dec 2014

christmas wrapping by the waitresses, near enough every xmas song i like is by a British artist but this is by an american band and didnt even make the top 40 in 1982.
    youtube.com/wat…fwY

On the other hand these are the 7 british xmas songs that never made it big in the USA
    lostinthepond.blogspot.co.uk/201…tml
    Edited by: "thebaron69" 10th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Fairytale of NY is out then? gotta be on there - it's a classic

This is for school, so must be clean!

I know you were trying to be helpful, but I am trying to introduce my students to versions of songs that are not typical of the now compilations.
    Thanks though!

Original Poster

Silent night by Gloriana and Baby it's cold outside by Lady Antebellum! yay!

Original Poster

thebaron69

christmas wrapping by the waitresses, near enough every xmas song i like … christmas wrapping by the waitresses, near enough every xmas song i like is by a British artist but this is by an american band and didnt even make the top 40 in 1982.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9x7_refwYOn the other hand these are the 7 british xmas songs that never made it big in the USA http://lostinthepond.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/7-british-christmas-songs-that-somehow.html#.VIfzVFV1-uY

cheers Baron, lost in the pond is filtered as unknown!

Driving home for Christmas

Blue Christmas ...... Elvis

Original Poster

Cheers guys, keep them coming.

I know you were trying to be helpful, but I am trying to introduce my … I know you were trying to be helpful, but I am trying to introduce my students to versions of songs that are not typical of the now compilations.Thanks though!

Okay. Start with Prokofiev: Suite from Lieutenant Kijé, Op. 60 . From 13 minutes 22 seconds (Troika). Then Prokofiev Peter and the Wolf ♫ Including narration. . Also the Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker Suite, Op 71a from 16 minutes onwards.

Also try Roxette. It Must Have Been Love - (Christmas for The Broken-Hearted). This is the original version from 1985 including the Christmas wording.
    Jackson 5 Rockin' Robin

Edited by: "nemesiz" 10th Dec 2014

K*nt and the gang - K*ntish Christmas

Nat king cole

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire

youtube.com/wat…6B0

So here it is, merry Christmas - Noel Gallagher
    Christmas (Baby please come home) - U2

Original Poster

nemesiz

Okay. Start with Prokofiev: Suite from Lieutenant Kijé, Op. 60 . From 13 … Okay. Start with Prokofiev: Suite from Lieutenant Kijé, Op. 60 . From 13 minutes 22 seconds (Troika). Then Prokofiev Peter and the Wolf ♫ Including narration. . Also the Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker Suite, Op 71a from 16 minutes onwards.Also try Roxette. It Must Have Been Love - (Christmas for The Broken-Hearted). This is the original version from 1985 including the Christmas wording.Jackson 5 Rockin' Robin

I already use Peter and the Wolf to look at pitch and frequency in physics. The narration is essential.

Bo Selecta - Proper Crimbo is my favourite, it's more tongue in cheek than rude 'So excited you might pee'. But not for young kids.

My friend's little sister loves the Taylor Swift Christmas album I got her last year. The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End) is another good one. Leona Lewis' song from last One More Sleep is one of the better original Christmas tunes to come from recent years.

Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry

Bing Crosby & David Bowie - The Little Drummer Boy-Peace on Earth

I don't have a particular favourite song, but being big into rock i love Twisted Sister's- A Twisted Christmas album.

It really depends on how different you want it to be. Tori Amos' Midwinter Graces is a great Christmas album. I Want an Alien for Christmas by Fountains of Wayne is a good fun song, and on the same track is I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by A Great Big World. On the folk side, there are 2 christmas albums from Kate Rusby - Sweet Bells, and While Mortals Sleep; if Indie's more your thing there's It's A Cool, Cool Christmas...

My favourite has always been 'A spaceman came travelling'

Killing In The Name Of - 2009 Top Christmas song

Original Poster

cartmansmum

It really depends on how different you want it to be. Tori Amos' … It really depends on how different you want it to be. Tori Amos' Midwinter Graces is a great Christmas album. I Want an Alien for Christmas by Fountains of Wayne is a good fun song, and on the same track is I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by A Great Big World. On the folk side, there are 2 christmas albums from Kate Rusby - Sweet Bells, and While Mortals Sleep; if Indie's more your thing there's It's A Cool, Cool Christmas...

Some flippin great stuff here. I had forgotten just how much I love Kate Rusby.

Pink Floyd - We don't need no education

I LOVE I believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake :-)

Original Poster

will check out cheers Krystal.

Henvig

will check out cheers transit.

Original Poster

transit

Pink Floyd - We don't need no education

haha, thanks transit. My bottom set year 11 maths class don't need any encouragement though. The had a rubbish year with five different teachers last year. It's taken a term for them to begin to trust that i am staying....

Henvig

haha, thanks transit. My bottom set year 11 maths class don't need any … haha, thanks transit. My bottom set year 11 maths class don't need any encouragement though. The had a rubbish year with five different teachers last year. It's taken a term for them to begin to trust that i am staying....

Five different teachers? .. what ever happened to dedication from the teaching staff. ( excluding yourself that is)

No one said "little saint nick" by the beach boys?? For shame.

Or the classic "sleigh ride" by the ronetts?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2340
      2. word association Game74044562
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767409
      4. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1717

See more discussions