Puzzled..all radiators in house are working except one...no idea why

Found 30th Dec 2012
Hi guys

Once again I turn to misc for advice. Until yesterday, all the rads in the house were working. Suddenly, as of this morning, one in the living room refuses to heat up. I've tried to take out the air but no air is stuck. Seriously no idea why it's happened. Any ideas?

Thanks
Community Updates
MiscPuzzleRadiator
21 Comments
Banned
might be a blockage on a tailpipe

try bleeding it for 5 mins into a bucket on full stream

If water stops coming out then it is blocked
Edited by: "csiman" 30th Dec 2012
Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) stuck closed? Take it off and make sure the flow and return valves are both open.
Sometimes it's a pressure thing. Try closing the valves slightly on the other radiators. That has worked for me before.
Banned
time for a power flush
Banned
kiddakidda

Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) stuck closed? Take it off and make sure … Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) stuck closed? Take it off and make sure the flow and return valves are both open.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this
Do you have kids ?

Mine thought it would be a good idea to turn the thermostat down to zero.... took me a while to figure out why the heating wouldnt come on !!
Banned
sassie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

if it was working yesterday i doubt she/he would have turned it off,trv are usually set and left
Banned
september_boy

if it was working yesterday i doubt she/he would have turned it off,trv … if it was working yesterday i doubt she/he would have turned it off,trv are usually set and left

not they can stick, mine did
First check the system pressure is ok, there will be a gauge on your boiler. Top up as necessary (instructions vary from boiler to boiler, get your manual or Google it). Then, bleed your radiators, check all of them even if they seem to warm up ok. Chances are there will be air in the system at some point. Once you've bled your radiators re-check your system pressure, top up as necessary once more, then see if it works. If you've any doubts about the thermostat on the affected radiator you can unscrew it and replace it with one from a known-working radiator.
kiddakidda

Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) stuck closed? Take it off and make sure … Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) stuck closed? Take it off and make sure the flow and return valves are both open.

Had nothing but grief with these in the past, plumbers love them though as they get a call out fee on top of a 5 minute job that costs labour for the 1/2 hour minimum charge and the call out fee = easy money, my method a few taps at the bottom with a screw driver handle if not remove, check and refit.
used to get this every year. my solution was to shut off all the other radiators, then it would force the air bubble/lock out and then all was good. x
kiddakidda

^^^ this - I'll bet money on it
Banned
Stevedarkly's point about system pressure is very valid. You need to make sure system is correctly pressured, if you have been letting out air by venting you will need to add more water. Don't add more than is advisable or you will blow a valve.

Also increasing the temperature of the water in the rads to maximum will help force out any air blockage, reduce temperature to normal after you have vented the blockage and then adjusted system pressure by adding correct amount of water.

Banned
It does in our case (X2 houses) seem very unnecessary to bleed any but the highest radiator on the upper floor, actually there are built in venting points in both houses. All the air bubbles end up moving to the highest point in any case.

You might speed things up by venting a troublesome rad elsewhere, I suppose.
kiddakidda

This needs checking first if you have thermostatic valves ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Banned
Our thermostatic valves got stuck closed a few times and it is easy enough to unscrew the outer fitting (not connected to any liquid lol!) then press a coin or similar a few times onto the valve bit - which frees it up again, bit of WD40 & Bob's your uncle
I used a hammer
ours usually only stick after being off the whole year then trying for the first time
if not been turned since yesterday then maybe not (or someone else turned)

if its as above then its a very easy check
look at the little pin inside the temp selector (just screws off above the T)
if it doesn't move down when pushed then thats the problem.
just stick some wd40 on and tap the pin a few times (my weapon of choice was a screwdriver ) until it moves freely
Edited by: "brilly" 31st Dec 2013
Banned
i dont think the op is interested anymore oO
csiman

i dont think the op is interested anymore oO

Probably got hypothermia.
Original Poster
Sorry not been online. I always try to report back on misc when I ask questions as it's a way to repay people's kindness in answering the questions and also might help others out.

It was a pin that was stuck in the thermostat. Took the thermostat thingy off and gave a few taps to the pin and voila... It was fixed.

Much appreciated to everyone who helped me out and kindly offered their advice.

The reason for delay in getting back was my laptop is playing up and I hate typing on threads from smartphones.

Again, many thanks to everyone!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants