Expired

Pxe-e61 error new ssd drive

Found 14th May 2013
Hi all, having trouble with my acer 5750 laptop. it was a refurbished from pc world group. Only bought laptop 15 month ago.

Here's the problem. Got the following error

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.

Art first hard drive was not making any noises so I try to switch on the laptop several times, soon after it was making noises so I thought I needed to invest in new hard drive and bought Samsung 840 250gb ssd.

New ssd shows under bios> information. Sata mode - AHCI Mode. I also changed boot priority so that cdrom comes first followed by ssd. However I still get

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

So I tried to install windows 7 from my backup disks. Disc 1 of 3 completes fine, insert disk 2 of 3 and it gets stuck on format hard drive partitions. I left the laptop rubbing for 8 hours. After about 1 hour the disc starts spinning but nothing happens and the progress bar is stuck on 14%.

Im at a loss as to what I can do to rectify the problem.

Plead help.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskSSD
6 Comments
The PXE error is just the network boot trying to run as it won't boot from the SSD because of either no OS or another issue. Not sure why you would have an issue rebuilding the laptop from the original restore disks unless there is an issue with the drive or restore disks.

Can you connect the SSD to another computer to test it? If you can format it in the other PC and also try to run Samsungs diagnostics tools on it and also check it's firmware revision as maybe it's a bug that is fixed in newer firmware.

Always pays to do a Google search regarding the problem too but definitely I think your first step is to test the SSD in another PC. As I mentioned ignore the PXE stuff that isn't a fault it's just trying all the boot devices because of a failed boot from the SSD or DVDROM.
no other computer. got an old p4 desktop. don't think that will be compatible.

I used the the backup disc before and they worked fine. I'm going to try ubuntu to see if that works.
I had the same problem with my Inspiron 17R and the same drive.

I had PXE error few times and i was worried that motherboard was f**cked.

After changing settings in BIOS and reinstalling win7 on the drive (instalation was ok but start-up not) about 10 times it started to work fine.

PXE must be disabled from boot options and i was doing something with AHCI settings but not remember now.

This error is very common so you should not be worry about this. Try to change settings in BIOS few times to see if it runs.
Edited by: "klopikxda" 14th May 2013
managed to install ubuntu. very fast. going to try dual boot with windows 7
And have you managed to fix it?
no. bought a new ssd drive. old hhd seems knackered, making strange noise
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants