Q: export a vehicle out of the uk ..

Posted 8th Dec 2019
if exporting a used vehicle out of the UK, is it legal to drive it on UK roads to take it to the port if it is not taxed but registered as a export vehicle with the DVLA?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Let me guess a Nigerian Prince wants to buy your car at twice its value?
unfortunately not, i'm just looking for information.
There would be no exemption, why would an un-taxed/uninsured vehicle be allowed on the public highway?
You'll need to take it on a trailer.
IamMT08/12/2019 22:24

There would be no exemption, why would an un-taxed/uninsured vehicle be …There would be no exemption, why would an un-taxed/uninsured vehicle be allowed on the public highway?You'll need to take it on a trailer.

thanks for that - makes sense.
IamMT08/12/2019 22:27

Comment deleted

It's not a new car, it's about 4 years old
Zenzo_Sibanda08/12/2019 22:27

It's not a new car, it's about 4 years old

Sorry, I realised that after the comment - hence why I deleted it. Good luck! Is it going to Malta ?
IamMT08/12/2019 22:29

Sorry, I realised that after the comment - hence why I deleted it. Good …Sorry, I realised that after the comment - hence why I deleted it. Good luck! Is it going to Malta ?

Thanks! It's going to Namibia. Is there a different rule that applies to used cars vs new cars? Do you know what that rule is?
Zenzo_Sibanda08/12/2019 22:30

Thanks! It's going to Namibia. Is there a different rule that applies to …Thanks! It's going to Namibia. Is there a different rule that applies to used cars vs new cars? Do you know what that rule is?

gov.uk/tak…les

it's mostly about VAT
Edited by: "IamMT" 8th Dec 2019
IamMT08/12/2019 22:32

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/newly-bought-vehiclesit's …https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/newly-bought-vehiclesit's mostly about VAT

ah yes, they almost say everything but the one thing i want answers to! Will keep looking around. Thank you for engaging on this - really makes the effort worthwhile!
You can buy day insurance or weekly insurance
Regarding tax, most cars are cheap anyway so maybe its £30 for a year depending on reg obviously. Tax it and claim remaining tax back by getting a form from post office
Misslovely08/12/2019 22:59

You can buy day insurance or weekly insurance Regarding tax, most cars …You can buy day insurance or weekly insurance Regarding tax, most cars are cheap anyway so maybe its £30 for a year depending on reg obviously. Tax it and claim remaining tax back by getting a form from post office

great, i'll look into this, thank you.
Don't forget if you are 'exporting it' to yourself a British resident can't drive a foreign registered car in the UK (with a few very rare exceptions)
Zenzo_Sibanda09/12/2019 00:00

great, i'll look into this, thank you.

You can claim get the WHOLE amount back for any FULL months the vehicle is not on the road if you buy 12 months tax. (T&C apply)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions