Groups

qa quick question about car tax, insurance and mot

currently living in rented house until we can find a house to buy, this house only has one space for a car so i left my other car in the works car park for about three months. my boss needs it moved, it has no tax, insurance or mot.

I've just sorted the insurance out this evening, but can i drive it home without the MOT, i seem to think it was only straight to the MOT station.
    Also i cant apply for TAX unless i have the MOT? is that correct, because then i'm going to have drive it home without the tax and the MOT!!

can someone confirm without a valid MOT cert then i cant get tax?

11 Comments

Yep unfortunately so, you need to show a valid insurance and MOT for cars 3 years old + in order to get the tax disc. No way around it unless you put the vehicle on a trailer. I am assuming that you have already declared a SORN for the vehicle as it currently has no tax? If not and you do use a trailer to move it then make sure you complete a SORN.
    If you just need to move it, you could try taking out recovery and getting them to transport it home, but you might still get caught if you're mega unlucky!
    Good luck with whatever you choose.

direct.gov.uk/en/…671

MOT or insurance has expired
    If you intend to renew your vehicle tax you should do so before your current tax disc expires. However, this is not always possible if you’re waiting for insurance or are getting an MOT for your vehicle.

You’ll be committing an offence if you use or keep your vehicle on the public road without a current tax disc. If you cannot obtain a tax disc, you must remove your vehicle off the road.

While your vehicle is off the road, you have 14 days in which to obtain a tax disc or make a SORN.

Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test
    You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a prearranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

No MOT, no tax

You can only drive a car without MOT if you're taking it to the test station. Correct, you can not tax the car until it is MOT'd. The vehicle should be 'recovered' on the back of a lorry to your address. Also, the insurance will not pay out if it is damaged during the cars time without MOT/TAX. :whistling:

CAREFULLY choose a route with no ANPR cameras and you should be ok ;-)

Although saying that, if you're in Essex your probably screwed :lol:

Or you could just buy a tow rope and get a mate and use your other car to tow it home.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;1578949

Or you could just buy a tow rope and get a mate and use your other car to … Or you could just buy a tow rope and get a mate and use your other car to tow it home.

and that gets round the legal problem how?? You would still be up the brown runny creek if you was caught!

harlzter;1579000

and that gets round the legal problem how?? You would still be up the … and that gets round the legal problem how?? You would still be up the brown runny creek if you was caught!

Towing a car. Don't think the police would have any problem with that as your not driving it. Otherwise you would have to have an mot/insurance for a caravan.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;1579041

Towing a car. Don't think the police would have any problem with that as … Towing a car. Don't think the police would have any problem with that as your not driving it. Otherwise you would have to have an mot/insurance for a caravan.

Bit different with a carvan, could you tow a car with no driver? NO! with a car on tow the brakes pumps are powered via power from the engine so you would need the engine running! Ergo you are DRIVING it still, also with a carvan the driver of the towing vehicle is in full control having control over the brakes, lights and manouvering of the caravan ie the car indicates the carvan does, the car steers so does the caravan in sync with it. I can see why you thought it would be ok but alas it isnt.

harlzter;1579051

Bit different with a carvan, could you tow a car with no driver? NO! with … Bit different with a carvan, could you tow a car with no driver? NO! with a car on tow the brakes pumps are powered via power from the engine so you would need the engine running! Ergo you are DRIVING it still, also with a carvan the driver of the towing vehicle is in full control having control over the brakes, lights and manouvering of the caravan ie the car indicates the carvan does, the car steers so does the caravan in sync with it. I can see why you thought it would be ok but alas it isnt.

Well just text my dad who is a retired policeman. Well at first he was what the hell are you texting me at this time for. He says if you did it early sunday morning the chance of getting pulled over is about zero and even if you did the police would be fine with it as you have chose not to drive it and you have done it when the roads are not busy.

You definitely can't tow it or drive it legally. Without valid tax and MOT your insurance is not valid for using the vehicle on a road. "Use" involves control over the direction and movement of the vehicle on any highway to which the public has access.
    In short, the only way you can move your car legally is on the back of a flatbed truck. However, without the MOT and tax, you can't legally keep the car on the road outside your house, or anywhere other than your private drive.
    Unfortunately you're also in trouble if you just allowed the tax to lapse without applying for a SORN!
    Bit of a bummer huh?

You beat me to it, I was going to add the insurance isn't valid unless the car has a valid tax disc.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2698
      2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1929
      3. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?11
      4. word association Game74044547

See more discussions