Expired

Quad-core laptop under £470?

Found 24th Aug 2017
I'm looking for a laptop that:
-Is preferably HP (other brands ok though)
-Is quad-core unless dual core can beat it
-More than 3 stars (for obvious reasons)
-Has 8GB RAM and 1TB storage
-Has a screen size of either 15" or 17"
-Is from a secured website
-Must have Windows 10 built in so I don't have to do a fresh install or anything
-Preferably not i3 or below (though can settle on i3 if it won't be too bad, definitely nothing lower)

I've been struggling to find one on a secured website or is in stock. Did find one but deliberated over it and then it was out of stock.

I know these are specific specifications but it needs to be something fast. Current laptop is super slow, is over 5 years old, needs a new battery and needs a new hinge (+ potentially even a new fan as it seems to get hot quickly), so I thought it would be best to invest in a new one rather than pay all the costs to get it fixed when I'd like something newer anyway.

I am a NUS student too so this may help with finding one within the price range.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
You're looking at precisely the wrong time, both Intel and AMD are planning to launch new, cheaper quad core processors in the next month or two in the form of Kaby Lake Refresh and Raven Ridge.

They'll be slower in CPU heavy tasks than the existing Intel HQ suffix processors, but they should also be cheaper. than the typical £550-600 minimum those go for.
Within your price range click. I would personally buy this click, then buy the extra 4GB of DDR4 RAM for £20. You'll still have £120 in change.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 24th Aug 2017
Original Poster
EndlessWaves4 h, 26 m ago

You're looking at precisely the wrong time, both Intel and AMD are …You're looking at precisely the wrong time, both Intel and AMD are planning to launch new, cheaper quad core processors in the next month or two in the form of Kaby Lake Refresh and Raven Ridge. They'll be slower in CPU heavy tasks than the existing Intel HQ suffix processors, but they should also be cheaper. than the typical £550-600 minimum those go for.

It won't last that long unfortunate I already have to constantly leave it plugged in because it no longer charges so if I were to let it die it might not turn on again
Original Poster
RiverDragon81 h, 54 m ago

Within your price range click. I would personally buy this click, then buy …Within your price range click. I would personally buy this click, then buy the extra 4GB of DDR4 RAM for £20. You'll still have £120 in change.

Will think about it. I've heard problems about Lenovo and bloatware. How do I buy the extra 4gb of RAM? Is it a separate purchase and has to be manually installed?
It's super easy to add more RAM to the Lenovo laptop click. Just go on eBay and buying matching DDR4 RAM.
Original Poster
RiverDragon84 h, 17 m ago

It's super easy to add more RAM to the Lenovo laptop click. Just go on …It's super easy to add more RAM to the Lenovo laptop click. Just go on eBay and buying matching DDR4 RAM.

So I install it myself? Pretty cool cause that brings the option to upgrade the RAM generation over time (?)
Install yourself (you've seen how easy it is to do), 8GB RAM is enough for most people unless you need more for video rendering. Just buy matching DDR4 RAM (used) off eBay.

TCB @ 1% + £8.25 worth of Nectar points.

+ another £2.50 off click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 25th Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants