quad core xeon with hyper threading?

13 replies
Found 11th Jun 2016
Has anyone seen any server available with an i7 equivalent xeon, that is quad core with hyperthreading? Everything I've looked at seems to go from quad core to hex core.

1. Ask
  2. Quad Core
13 Comments

e3 1350 v3 is what you're looking for

Original Poster

aminmoh

e3 1350 v3 is what you're looking for

​Cheers for that, have you seen any servers using them?

enigmatik33

​Cheers for that, have you seen any servers using them?

Depends what type of server, they ain't shoddy at all and would run a sme I would feel. At home a bit OTT I would think.

Original Poster

Was looking at Tower systems for sis n law dental practice, no room for rack

Do you mind me asking what they are going to be running on it?

Original Poster

System of Excellence, dental practice software, recommended spec server is i7 or equivalent.

Have you had a look into Iaas (Amazon/MS Azure) and host it (as a virtual machine) - If you look at that factor in a router that can provide VPN to the local clients (or a client VPN solution) as well as a fallback to the fixed line failing (4G dongle connected to Router and weighted accordingly).

Removes a lot of risks to the client around backups and hardware failure which you have to factor in as a cost.

There are other hosting solutions available as well

Original Poster

discobob

Have you had a look into Iaas (Amazon/MS Azure) and host it (as a virtual … Have you had a look into Iaas (Amazon/MS Azure) and host it (as a virtual machine) - If you look at that factor in a router that can provide VPN to the local clients (or a client VPN solution) as well as a fallback to the fixed line failing (4G dongle connected to Router and weighted accordingly).Removes a lot of risks to the client around backups and hardware failure which you have to factor in as a cost.There are other hosting solutions available as well

​I haven't had a look at that but shall investigate tonight, they have no back up provision at present and are looking at this too, as they are split over 2 clinics I had been planning to suggestion the servers in each clinic back up to the other as off site solution. Also allow a local option via nas. There are 4 client pcs running in each site and they can't really afford to be without access to the system for records, imaging etc. I've yet to check they're broadband system but believe their cabling will need upgrading.

They've had a quote that I've been checking out for them but that is simply using a fifth desktop as a server. They've also been quoted for gfx cards as software specs suggest hardware that will allow acceleration, I'm pretty sure based on the resolutions etc that a good spec i5 client with igpu should cope more than adequately with that, I'm still waiting on software company replying to confirm this.

I have had a look at their site but they don't give anything on there - publicly anyway - If they are over two sites this points even more to centrally hosting the solution and perhaps even the clients (see azure.microsoft.com/en-…pp/ ).

Hosting two seperate servers could become a bit of a nightmare keeping patient records synchronised (and again - what is the underlying structure - RDBMS or File system ??) - for example - Patient A is a member of Surgery A - but goes to Surgery B for some reason - how does surgery B access his records (they only have a backup of A's system on site)?

In regards to broadband - you need to find out what the size of the images - and calculate the upload speed to offsite (the other branch or to a centralised) and ask the client what lag they can deal with before requiring the images to be available to view via the application

Original Poster

I'll dig out links for requirements when home. I believe the 2 clinics are run separately but fall under a single practice ownership. I have asked about shared clients but not had responses yet. As far as I understand it, the software runs over windows and is tied into imaging software for the x-ray machines etc. At present the system is running on xp machines, bar 2, new versions will only support Windows 7 and above. Min spec involves it being run without a dedicated server. The storage requirements seem small, I am at present guessing this is because the x-rays aren't high resolution.

How robust are the hosting services? They might be induced if costs can be spread as Partners are not so sure about previous quoted 12k upfront costs (although I believe this to be an expensive quote, basically using off the shelf machines to match listed requirements, for example the gfx cards at 120 each with no spec listed) A monthly fee might suit them better, with outlay just on client machines and network storage, routers and switches. I believe they are on adsl but a move to fibre might be an option after I Re cable.

Hi,

from what I can tell - it appears to be a file based "database" or perhaps some proprietary database underneath. The issue you will have with virtualisation is the hardware acceleration graphics which are available on Azure but the class of server I would imagine would cost quite a bit (N Class - cant seem to find pricing) but the AWS offering has limited storage as they class it as a compute node so I think that you are stuck with being physical on site. - however I would look at serversplus to at least get an indication of prices - I would suggest buying 3 servers (1 spare) plus a spare client for fast switch outs

Original Poster

discobob

Hi,from what I can tell - it appears to be a file based "database" or … Hi,from what I can tell - it appears to be a file based "database" or perhaps some proprietary database underneath. The issue you will have with virtualisation is the hardware acceleration graphics which are available on Azure but the class of server I would imagine would cost quite a bit (N Class - cant seem to find pricing) but the AWS offering has limited storage as they class it as a compute node so I think that you are stuck with being physical on site. - however I would look at serversplus to at least get an indication of prices - I would suggest buying 3 servers (1 spare) plus a spare client for fast switch outs

​Hi,

Yeah had a look at Azure prices last night and once you get the core and thread count up, within a few months you have covered cost of buying a server. The hardware graphics acceleration is vague and they have yet to give me a recommendation, Intel/AMD etc .

The issue with buying the servers is the cpu recommendation that I started with, I am struggling to find a xeon with 4 cores and 8 threads. A 6 core model would do but in a bid to keep price acceptable it becomes expensive. And Tower models are limited in cpu options, I did consider a hp microserver or ml tower above it and swap out the cpu, but not sure how this affects warranty. Ideally I was considering, for the server, something with room for 6 drives in total, that being 2 ssd (os drives in raid 1 to give resilience) fit 2 6tb drives to begin for storage and leave upgrade room if required.

The clients are simple enough i5, with good igpu 8gb memory, ssd os drive and 500gb to 1tb for storage.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21
    2. Parkopedia, can the info be trusted22
    3. What is gearbest like on warranty?78
    4. Whatsup number, confused33

See more discussions